Recreational Riders: Rides, Events Anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon the ride from Melbourne out to Kinglake via Eltham & Phantom Hill is a good workout. It'll be about a 100 km round trip. If too long, then drive to Eltham and do the ride from there.
I suggest a ride from Melbourne out to Mt Macedon via Alton Rd and Francis Rd. Should be roughly around a 180km round trip. Do that a few times and yah fitness should improve. :stern look

You still doing the long distance swimming?

Might be a bit safer with only the sharks out there
Lucky for me work is stuffing up all training. BuSSO 70.3 a bit over a month away and have stuff all swim cycle or run since ironman

Hi gang.

Going to do my first around the bay in a day this year.

Does anyone have any decent training programs to follow? 210kms in October.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on your background, how long have you been riding for and was your current longest ride?

I did the 245 for the first time a few years back. Had done some flat 200km rides and stuff like Kinglake and Bass Coast.

The thing that totally f**ked me was the break. You ride 100 odd kms then sit on a ferry for 45 minutes to have to start again. We had a brutal headwind on the way back from sorrento and all round the last 80kms were some of the most miserable I’ve ever ridden.

I’d suggest doing at least one ride at least the distance (preferably a bit longer) if for nothing other than the psychology also enables you to recheck the bike fit etc. food and drink is critical and make sure you figure out how to warm down and then back up.

Thanks guys.

Furthest I’ve done so far is 150. At the moment I’m doing probably 200ks a week. 2 commutes to work 25 each way and a weekend ride.

Thanks guys.

Furthest I’ve done so far is 150. At the moment I’m doing probably 200ks a week. 2 commutes to work 25 each way and a weekend ride.
I did it a few years ago, where the furthest I had ridden was 2x 80km rides, with few others under my belt.

I went out and bought a bike that was far better than a rider like me would need, thinking that would make up for the lack of training.

I was wrong. Got through it ok though, but I wouldn’t say it was an enjoyable experience.

Thanks guys.

That's a good starting point, just slowly up your weekend ride lengths by 10-15km a week and you'll be fine. There are plenty of people to hide behind on the day.

The only time I did it I spent about 180km swapping turns on the front of a group. The moment I dropped back for a rest some numpty dropped a towel from his pocket onto his wheel and brought about 20 people down. I damaged my derailleur and spent the last 50km stuck in the 53/14.

I miss being fit.

Obviously this thread has been quiet for some time, was wondering if there's a Big Footy cycling strava group like the running group?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back