Opinion Recruiting and List Management Team: Hamish Ogilvie, Justin Reid & Co

Should Hamish Ogilvie and Justin Reid be sacked?

• Both should be sacked

• Only Hamish Ogilvie should be sacked

• Only Justin Reid should be sacked

• Neither should be sacked

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought some might find this interesting. Below is a graph of player ratings for the top 20 draftees from 2017 to 2019 (the period we say was amongst our worst drafting).
View attachment 1550627

This allows us to compare actual player ratings to expectations (just a simple trend line, so not perfect). Based on this, the Crows were the 13th best at drafting during this period:

Rank​
Team
Actual​
Expected​
%​
1​
Richmond
130​
65​
200%​
2​
Geelong
163​
90​
181%​
3​
Western Bulldogs
319​
190​
168%​
4​
Brisbane Lions
227​
147​
154%​
5​
Hawthorn
59​
43​
136%​
6​
Port Adelaide
265​
208​
127%​
7​
Melbourne
151​
125​
121%​
8​
Collingwood
118​
111​
106%​
9​
North Melbourne
133​
136​
98%​
10​
Fremantle
350​
366​
96%​
11​
Gold Coast
445​
469​
95%​
12​
GWS Giants
85​
90​
95%​
13​
Adelaide
158​
204​
77%​
14​
Greater Western Sydney
137​
179​
76%​
15​
St Kilda
153​
201​
76%​
16​
Sydney
107​
165​
65%​
17​
Carlton
185​
287​
65%​
18​
West Coast
22​
43​
51%​

On a player by player basis, this is us:
YearPickPlayerTeamActualExpected%
2017​
12​
Darcy FogartyAdelaide
70.1​
46.7​
150%​
2018​
9​
Chayce JonesAdelaide
38.2​
57.4​
67%​
2018​
16​
Ned McHenryAdelaide
45.2​
32.4​
140%​
2019​
6​
Fischer McAseyAdelaide
4.2​
68.1​
6%​

In case you were wondering, yes, McAsey has by far the worst actual to expected rating (for any player who has played).

It's too early to tell, but I'd say our 2020 and 2021 draftees will look ok in a few years time.
Bit unrealistic to expect McAsey to have played 68 games in 3 years!

This model needs to be adjusted based on number of years on the list. ;)

No surprise the experienced sides are at the top of this list.

I gather Thilthorpe should have played over 100 games by now...

If we ignore where people are drafted or how they got to the club, I'd say we simply don't have enough talent playing in our first 22.

I think this is undeniable.
No, what is undeniable is we don't have enough experienced players in our best 22 to be a finals threat.

Given how young our list is, we don't know how talented some of out players are & whether they will be regular AFL players.

Bit unrealistic to expect McAsey to have played 68 games in 3 years!

This model needs to be adjusted based on number of years on the list. ;)

No surprise the experienced sides are at the top of this list.

I gather Thilthorpe should have played over 100 games by now...
These are the Stats Insider AFL player ratings (out of 100, with Clayton Oliver the best on 99.7), not games.

Not a perfect measure, but objective and it looks about right when you look at the best players.

Also why I haven't included players drafted 2020 and 2021, as a lot won't have had a chance to set an indicative average.

These are the Stats Insider AFL player ratings (out of 100, with Clayton Oliver the best on 99.7), not games.

Not a perfect measure, but objective and it looks about right when you look at the best players.

Also why I haven't included players drafted 2020 and 2021, as a lot won't have had a chance to set an indicative average.
No problems... just saying the expected games should be scaed for the number of years since they were drafted... as clearly Petracca has had more opportunity to play more games than Thilthorpe, yet both are expected to have played around the same number of games... so perhaps not objective as it could be.

So of course older sides are going to rank higher v expected games if not adjusted for number of years since drafted.

And yet Collingwood, a top 4 side did ;)

If we didn't rate him, I wouldn't be taking that as a badge of honour.

But simple question, did we have the list spot even if we rated him enough to give him an 18 month contract?
Yet the best drafting team in the comp Port also passd on him for Teakle...oh, what a conflict.

No problems... just saying the expected games should be scaed for the number of years since they were drafted... as clearly Petracca has had more opportunity to play more games than Thilthorpe, yet both are expected to have played around the same number of games... so perhaps not objective as it could be.

So of course older sides are going to rank higher v expected games if not adjusted for number of years since drafted.
It's not expected games, but the player rating expected of a player selected at that pick.

For example, the expected player rating for pick 1 (from 2017 to 2019) is 85.9. Cam Rayner's player rating is 78 (91% of expectations), Sam Walsh's is 92.7 (108%) and Matt Rowell's is 87.1 (101%).

Games played will make a bit of a difference, as it allows players average score to increase as they get more experienced. But Rayner has played the most games (87), but isn't as highly ranked as Rowell (39 games) or Walsh (81 games).

No, what is undeniable is we don't have enough experienced players in our best 22 to be a finals threat.

Given how young our list is, we don't know how talented some of out players are & whether they will be regular AFL players.
I wasn't talking about the list I was just talking about the current 22.

At the end of the day we all love the club and want it to be successful.

Do we?

I don’t think a parent that never says no, indulges every desire, let’s homework slide, always feeds their kid chips and chocolate until they’re the size of a house actually loves the child and wants it to be successful.

In the same way, I don’t think someone who unquestioningly laps up every excremental sandwich dished up by the club really loves the club and wants it to be successful.

If you can’t be a critical friend to the club, what are you?

Taylor swift has more critical opprobrium from her 16 yr old fan base than some of our lot would offer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

obviously not counting lever being AA.

I see Doedee or Fogarty being AA within the near future.

AA is meaningless.

Position value counts.

AA in a cheap Brent Reilly, Jake Lever role is nothing to be excited about.

In a much more valuable, high leverage position Tex has never been AA and is worth far more than anyone who might perform well in a cheap, meaningless position

Do we?

I don’t think a parent that never says no, indulges every desire, let’s homework slide, always feeds their kid chips and chocolate until they’re the size of a house actually loves the child and wants it to be successful.

In the same way, I don’t think someone who unquestioningly laps up every excremental sandwich dished up by the club really loves the club and wants it to be successful.

If you can’t be a critical friend to the club, what are you?

Taylor swift has more critical opprobrium from her 16 yr old fan base than some of our lot would offer.
So what about the parent that is always negative and tells the child, and anyone else that will listen, that they will never amount to anything?🤔

That's just some deadbeat dad taking his life's frustrations out on some poor kid who is just looking for love and acknowledgement. Anyone got the number for Child Services? ;)

I actually think that between 2000 and 2018 years we have been one of the best clubs at identifying and developing talent in the AFL - especially considering our draft spots.

Just need to look at the quality of players that have gone on to play and succeed for other clubs. Our biggest issue has been player retention, which looks to have been fixed (at least in the short term).

So what about the parent that is always negative and tells the child, and anyone else that will listen, that they will never amount to anything?🤔

That's just some deadbeat dad taking his life's frustrations out on some poor kid who is just looking for love and acknowledgement. Anyone got the number for Child Services? ;)
Yes but it’s a fallacy that those criticising the club are always negative, the positive stuff gets overlooked and that’s on other posters

Yes but it’s a fallacy that those criticising the club are always negative, the positive stuff gets overlooked and that’s on other posters
While there are very few always negative or always positive posters, we are all on different points on the negative to positive spectrum and we're frustrated/ excited by different things.

Which is good, because it would be a pretty boring forum if we weren't.

But there was no way that I could let that parent-child analogy gift go through to the keeper.

Do you need a hug?

AA is meaningless.

Position value counts.

AA in a cheap Brent Reilly, Jake Lever role is nothing to be excited about.

In a much more valuable, high leverage position Tex has never been AA and is worth far more than anyone who might perform well in a cheap, meaningless position
Tell that to George

Do you need a hug?
You didn't strike me as the huggy type. But yeah, bring it in big guy!
eric hosmer hug GIF by MLB

Back