Opinion Recruiting and List Management Team: Hamish Ogilvie, Justin Reid & Co

Should Hamish Ogilvie and Justin Reid be sacked?

• Both should be sacked

• Only Hamish Ogilvie should be sacked

• Only Justin Reid should be sacked

• Neither should be sacked

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Burton was very highly regarded and would have been taken if not for his severely fractured tibia. This was not just a 12 week "broken leg" but was a tibial plateau fracture which will certainly lead to early osteoarthritis. There are very serious questions about Burton's longevity in the game. He may even have fewer years left in him than Gibbs. Now if Burton goes on to play 300 games don't blame Hamish but the club doctors. Hamish just did as advised. Judge this in 10 years time, not now.

Well it must have been really bad for ALL clubs to pass on him in both the National Draft and Rookie drafts as I know of several players who shall remain nameless that had significant "character" issues but they still got drafted possibly lower than expected but still made it onto AFL lists. I personally would have at least given him a rookie spot but I think his problem was more lack of a real weapon or point of difference, ordinary speed, below average disposal etc......all that aside he had no trouble getting his hands on the pill.
I have heard it a number of times about his attitude. Who knows. Maybe he was doing things we dont know about.
As far as his jr days he did enough as an underager and last year to get a gig. He has performed better this year at SANFL level than dozens of players taken last year have.

... I'd say Hamish has a keen eye for talent, but needs to be careful not to look to far outside the square when looking at first round talent.
Gooch is one that I am a little worried about. Not sure he screams 1st round pick to me. I think he will be a player similar to VB and Dougie. Solid dependable, without being a star/match winner. Happy to be wrong though.
For the later round picks, Hamish knows how to pick them. Poholke looks the goods. Wigg has been unlucky not to play as has been stated by others numerous times. Atkins is a star. Cameron, Greenwood, Knight, McGovern, Mrouch are all pretty outstanding results I reckon.

If we separate first round picks from all others, I think Hamish stacks up massively better and critical to a Club that doesn't get the top shelf picks. I wonder if our choices for first round picks get more input from other Club decision makers like coaches and board members than just Hamish, whereas with the later picks, Hamish is THE MAN with all the knowledge and everyone defers to him.

I get the impression Hamish works extremely hard at his job - pretty sure it was him at the State U18 games at Adelaide Oval recently in the Bradman stand, just a few rows from the boundary. He was the only one who surrounded himself with folders and paperwork while sussing out the talent.

Anyways, my vote is Hamish might be one of the most important parts of our Club.

Burton was very highly regarded and would have been taken if not for his severely fractured tibia. This was not just a 12 week "broken leg" but was a tibial plateau fracture which will certainly lead to early osteoarthritis. There are very serious questions about Burton's longevity in the game. He may even have fewer years left in him than Gibbs. Now if Burton goes on to play 300 games don't blame Hamish but the club doctors. Hamish just did as advised. Judge this in 10 years time, not now.
As it stands Burton is playing and Doedee isnt. Ask yourself two questions. If we had of drafted Burton and Hawthorn drafted Doedee and Burton had the season he is having now, and Doedee hadnt played a game, would you be happy with the trade then? Also, if we offered Doedee up for trade now, do you think anyone would offer us even a fourth or fifth round pick up grade for him? If Burton was up for trade, what would people offer up for him?

He feels like a Rhys Palmer type player to me, best season is his first. He could turn out to be a solid player, but Palmer has turned out a solid career too, just nothing exceptional.
In the same we did with Ollie wines, it's hilarious watching those on this board down play spp's ability. "Another Daniel Rich", "Another Rhys Palmer". The kid will most likely win the rising star and will grow into an aggressive beast. The perfect finals type player.

Go check my posts before the draft. I said I would have taken Milera first and Burton second. After the draft I said that if they passed on Burton due to injury I would have taken Dunkley. One is a top chance for the Rising Star and the other is a premiership midfielder.
What's that got to do with Marty?

Unless Doedee doesn't play any games in which case we should have taken Burton! ...or traded it to Gibbs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the same we did with Ollie wines, it's hilarious watching those on this board down play spp's ability. "Another Daniel Rich", "Another Rhys Palmer". The kid will most likely win the rising star and will grow into an aggressive beast. The perfect finals type player.
Wines is a significantly better talent, as reflected by his draft position. I thought Rhys Palmer was going to be a star after his first season, so clearly I'm no expert, but I just don't see it with SPP.

This thread has backfired a little on you hasn't it?

Not at all there's a lot more fingers that can be pointed The board already are Pyke Clarke campo Fagan

It's just everyone is in the gun in my opinion not just a few that the fanbois like and don't like

The board loves playing favourites

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Ha, at the moment you're playing favorites with everyone but sloane.
He's the only problem.

Are we almost done with the "[something] is s**t, we're s**t, you should hate supporting this team as much as me" threads??

Back