Opinion Recruiting and List Management Team: Hamish Ogilvie, Justin Reid & Co

Should Hamish Ogilvie and Justin Reid be sacked?

• Both should be sacked

• Only Hamish Ogilvie should be sacked

• Only Justin Reid should be sacked

• Neither should be sacked

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
Its hard to look at the first round picks that Reed and the O have made in the past 5 or so years and not be very disapointed..

But gee… you gotta wonder how much our development of these young players has had a hand in it too.. and the lack of opportunity many of these young players have had whilst we have continued to give golden tickets to our experienced players instead over the past 4-5 seasons.

FFS.. we granted 59 *n games to David Mackay over the 18,19,20 and 21 seasons.. 50 friggin 9!!!…

For what?.. what were we hoping to achieve?.. did they actually think he was some sort of Hodge type general off half back and was on field coaching our young players?..
what a waste of 59 games.. 59 games that couldve gone to our younger players.. but instead we kept the younger players back in the SANFL to develop..

In 2019 Richard Douglas came back from injury mid season.. we gave him 9 games in a row.. around game 3 of those 9 it was clear he was no longer AFL standard.. we still gave him another 6 games before finally realising and dumping him.. then delisting him at the end of the season!..

Games that couldve gone to a youngster who was trapped in the sanfl.

Then.. When we finally give a younger player a game we have a nasty habit of playing them out of their natural position.. then dumping them back to the SANFL immediately when they dont have an outstanding game..

Then we wonder why these young players develop in to SANFL standard players..

Its more than just Reed and O that is, and has been, the problem..

Horrid first round drafting, horror list management and horrid player development and one of the worst midfields in the comp.

We are in for some long years as supporters.

Last edited:

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Its hard to look at the first round picks that Reed and the O have made in the past 5 or so years and not be very disapointed..

But gee… you gotta wonder how much our development of these young players has had a hand in it too.. and the lack of opportunity many of these young players have had whilst we have continued to give golden tickets to our experienced players instead over the past 4-5 seasons.

FFS.. we granted 59 duckn games to David Mackay over the 18,19,20 and 21 seasons.. 50 friggin 9!!!…

For what?.. what were we hoping to achieve?.. did they actually think he was some sort of Hodge type general off half back and was on field coaching our young players?..
what a waste of 59 games.. 59 games that couldve gone to our younger players.. but instead we kept the younger players back in the SANFL to develop..

In 2019 Richard Douglas came back from injury mid season.. we gave him 9 games in a row.. around game 3 of those 9 it was clear he was no longer AFL standard.. we still gave him another 6 games before finally realising and dumping him.. then delisting him at the end of the season!..

Games that couldve gone to a youngster who was trapped in the sanfl.

Then.. When we finally give a younger player a game we have a nasty habit of playing them out of their natural position.. then dumping them back to the SANFL immediately when they dont have an outstanding game..

Then we wonder why these young players develop in to SANFL standard players..

Its more than just Reed and O that i, and has been, the problem..

Horrid first round drafting, horror list management and horrid player development and one of the worst midfields in the comp.

We are in for some long years as supporters.
Dont post this in the positive thread, I will have to card you

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm hopeful with Thilthorpe, but there's absolutely zero guarantee that he'll turn into an elite player.

You're solely basing this on his draft position and nothing else.

Ruckmen and tall forwards always have an element of risk when taken as a high draft pick because they take longer to develop. There's a laundry list of tall forwards taken with high draft picks that haven't made it.

I'm not saying that he won't, but it would be incredibly naive to just assume it's all just going to magically happen just because we drafted him at 2.
I haven't followed the other high pick's ruckmen and tall forward closely but with Thilthorpe he is very smart and clean (our 2nd best handball user after Walker) around stoppage and using his agility this is what will make him elite and set him apart from the other ruckmen.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
To be honest I think our drafting has been garbage since we turfed Rendell.

When Rendell was sacked he mentioned that he had the next two years mapped out so there obviously was a group of players that we were specifically looking at. I wouldn't be surprised if Rendell's ground work in some way was still influential to a degree up until 2014.

I think Hamish rode off Rendell's coat tails and since being upgraded he's been exposed for not even being good enough to tie Rendell's boot laces.

Don’t get me started on the Rendell thing…

While I don’t think Ogilvie is as terrible as some here are saying, it was left in pretty good hands for him and it’s gone backwards under his watch.

Rendell was a recruiting genius.

beartoo

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Moana Heights Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
And it was still good stuff from Brisbane

The bad part from us was not showing more love to Charlie in contract negotiations and projecting what he could be …. I admit he probably would have left anyway but that’s not the whole point
Cameron did not play anywhere near at the level he plays at Brisbane when he played for us. Either he improved with maturity or he didn't give a stuff when here. He was hot and cold with the Crows--in and out of the side and injured a bit as well.
On what he showed with us pick twelve was a bonanza.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is the kind of stuff that needs to be taken into account with these guys. I have no doubt, coaches, Burton, Roo have all come over the top of them at times. Wasn't Hamish supposedly picking English but Pyke insisted on a mid?

Not saying they are perfect but previous administration was no doubt quite overbearing. Interestingly since Nicks has taken over I feel our drafting has been better (still not amazing)

I don't think that's particularly interesting, just expected.

We stopped being a cheaped out, toxic shitshow with all of the wrong people at the top. Look at all of our off field moves since the review in 2019. The vast majority are an upgrade. From genuinely top tier operators such as Olsen and Burgess to even the more questionable hires in Van Berlo and Kelly (considering they replaced Godden/Burton, two who were abysmally bad). There is going to be an upswing in drafting success with that kind of environmental change over time just by not fostering an environment where careers go to wither and die.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maybe not in Brisbane but in Queensland he certainly did.
It may have been only an excuse but that was what his manager put up at the time.

Playing in those huge games like Geelong and Collingwood this year at home have been pretty electric, just really good to be in even if we didn’t play well against Collingwood,” he said. “Most of my family are still based in northern Queensland, with an uncle, aunty and few cousins in Brisbane. My family come down from Mornington and Mount Isa for a few games to watch me, which is good.

What his manager said

North Queensland?!!

Mount Isa to Brisbane is double the distance Adelaide to Melbourne. Double!!! It’s nearly 2,000kms

Dusty wasn’t much further from his dad in NZ at that rate

Mount Isa to Brisbane is about the same distance as Brisbane to Adelaide

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Because this board perennially underrated Cameron and couldn’t project what he could be , I remember people being in raptures around here for getting pick 12 for him

And so they should, the trade was fair - not much different to what we got for Dangerfield

Once you accept his trade request the value was fair

However we didn’t need to let him go at all

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sloane and the Crouches were going to lead us to the promised land.

Similar with Talia in our backline and Jacobs/ROB in the ruck.

I don’t think it’s that per se

Our rebuild started in 2018. We made a song and dance about not moving up because we’d positioned ourselves really well with 5 picks in the top 30 of the super draft.

We were going to top up and refresh our list, staying in contention for years and years.

We then let valuable players go because our culture was our super power. The playing spots opened up would accelerate our progression; there would’ve been a minor drop in the table, but we’d have a smooth rebuild without all this boom n bust of the poor culture, rabble clubs rebuilds

EXCEPT we were wrong on every level

Those 5 picks in the 2018 top 30 have yielded * all. And the arse fell out and we became a joke

Every one of those myriad bad decisions over this period has set us back. Probably years

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
We're well above that! What's the league average for 'right picks' anyway, let's set the bar and then compare how we go.

If anyone expects every first round pick to play 100 games and get a Brownlow, they're dreaming.

Our drafting sucks

We are a rabble devoid of good players because of it.

And no we aren’t sneaky good at later picks either. We’re below average there too.

That’s a myth we tell ourselves

beagle2

Team Captain
Oct 8, 2004
West Lakes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
ADELAIDE
There's absolutely zero guarantee that any draft pick will turn into an elite player!

I think Hamish is above average in terms of who's been drafted in his tenure, especially considering the picks we've had in his early days.

That explains our recent high ladder finishes

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Yep.. pick 12 for Cameron at the time was bloody good..

People around here must have the memories of goldfish.. Cameron had a 2017 that started well but went very stale in the middle of the season. If I remember coreectly he was even dropped in the period around round 13 to 17..

Came real good in the PF though.. which is what got us pick 12 you’d think..
I made note at the time he looked disinterested.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Cameron did not play anywhere near at the level he plays at Brisbane when he played for us. Either he improved with maturity or he didn't give a stuff when here. He was hot and cold with the Crows--in and out of the side and injured a bit as well.
On what he showed with us pick twelve was a bonanza.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
The club failed to project what he could become , maybe he didn’t give a stuff because he felt undervalued

I feel as though the club misread not only his immediate value but what he would become , part of that might have been misreading his personality. I feel as though he lived in Eddie’s shadow but wanted to be more and eventually be the main man but that path didn’t look open at the crows

What I’m talking about is pre the trade / contracting period , not the actual trade itself

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
The club failed to project what he could become , maybe he didn’t give a stuff because he felt undervalued

I feel as though the club misread not only his immediate value but what he would become , part of that might have been misreading his personality. I feel as though he lived in Eddie’s shadow but wanted to be more and eventually be the main man but that path didn’t look open at the crows

What I’m talking about is pre the trade / contracting period , not the actual trade itself
I recall him saying something about wanting to have his own forward line to run in. Think that mostly means we failed (or didn't try) to sell him on the 7-10 years post Eddie he could have played and been a star for us.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
How could we have ended up with much less?
because the lions were still down the bottom end of the ladder at the end of 2018 so wouldve had had the threat of PSD in any trade negs for a, by then, OOC Cameron..

teams always have more hand at the trade table when discussing the trading of a contracted player over an OOC one..

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
What his manager said

North Queensland?!!

Mount Isa to Brisbane is double the distance Adelaide to Melbourne. Double!!! It’s nearly 2,000kms

Dusty wasn’t much further from his dad in NZ at that rate

Mount Isa to Brisbane is about the same distance as Brisbane to Adelaide
Say what you like about his reasons for hightailing it out but the bloke said himself he had family in Brisbane, Uncles, Aunts and cousins.

Back