Opinion Recruiting and List Management Team: Hamish Ogilvie, Justin Reid & Co

Should Hamish Ogilvie and Justin Reid be sacked?

• Both should be sacked

• Only Hamish Ogilvie should be sacked

• Only Justin Reid should be sacked

• Neither should be sacked

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

There's absolutely zero guarantee that any draft pick will turn into an elite player!

I think Hamish is above average in terms of who's been drafted in his tenure, especially considering the picks we've had in his early days.

That explains our recent high ladder finishes

Yep.. pick 12 for Cameron at the time was bloody good..

People around here must have the memories of goldfish.. Cameron had a 2017 that started well but went very stale in the middle of the season. If I remember coreectly he was even dropped in the period around round 13 to 17..

Came real good in the PF though.. which is what got us pick 12 you’d think..
I made note at the time he looked disinterested.

Cameron did not play anywhere near at the level he plays at Brisbane when he played for us. Either he improved with maturity or he didn't give a stuff when here. He was hot and cold with the Crows--in and out of the side and injured a bit as well.
On what he showed with us pick twelve was a bonanza.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
The club failed to project what he could become , maybe he didn’t give a stuff because he felt undervalued

I feel as though the club misread not only his immediate value but what he would become , part of that might have been misreading his personality. I feel as though he lived in Eddie’s shadow but wanted to be more and eventually be the main man but that path didn’t look open at the crows

What I’m talking about is pre the trade / contracting period , not the actual trade itself

The club failed to project what he could become , maybe he didn’t give a stuff because he felt undervalued

I feel as though the club misread not only his immediate value but what he would become , part of that might have been misreading his personality. I feel as though he lived in Eddie’s shadow but wanted to be more and eventually be the main man but that path didn’t look open at the crows

What I’m talking about is pre the trade / contracting period , not the actual trade itself
I recall him saying something about wanting to have his own forward line to run in. Think that mostly means we failed (or didn't try) to sell him on the 7-10 years post Eddie he could have played and been a star for us.

How could we have ended up with much less?
because the lions were still down the bottom end of the ladder at the end of 2018 so wouldve had had the threat of PSD in any trade negs for a, by then, OOC Cameron..

teams always have more hand at the trade table when discussing the trading of a contracted player over an OOC one..

Say what you like about his reasons for hightailing it out but the bloke said himself he had family in Brisbane, Uncles, Aunts and cousins.

Well… if he said it, case closed

I mean I guess that’s why Brisbane just happened to double his contract. He didn’t want the money, he just wanted to be near family 2,000 kms away

Brisbane must be kicking themselves giving him all that money when they didn’t need to

In other news, how do you feel about investing in crypto? I might have some deals for you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean I guess that’s why Brisbane just happened to double his contract. He didn’t want the money, he just wanted to be near family 2,000 kms away

Brisbane must be kicking themselves giving him all that money when they didn’t need to

In other news, how do you feel about investing in crypto? I might have some deals for you
Fair chance the WA and QLD clubs would have had inside running , then of course the contract terms are the clincher

Cameron did not play anywhere near at the level he plays at Brisbane when he played for us. Either he improved with maturity or he didn't give a stuff when here. He was hot and cold with the Crows--in and out of the side and injured a bit as well.

He was like the 6th banana as a forward with us behind Walker Betts McGovern Jenkins and Lynch

At Brisbane he is often the main man and certainly in their top 2. Circumstances meant he was lower down the totem pole here. Unfortunately we didn’t play the longer game and push him up the list a bit

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We're well above that! What's the league average for 'right picks' anyway, let's set the bar and then compare how we go.

If anyone expects every first round pick to play 100 games and get a Brownlow, they're dreaming.

Cmon mate. It is indisputable that our first round draft opportunities have been pretty much busts for the last 7-8 years
Look at the Rendell years prior and most went on to very successful careers.
Nailing even 1-2 over the 2015-2019 period would have us in a much better position than we are.
That ultimately sits on Hamish

We laugh at Port for keeping Hinkley for 10 years without a GF and I think everyone would agree he should be gone - but he made 3 prelims and they have played finals 5-6 times. He is doing okay. Same could be said for Hamish.

Indeed. Also, the popular reason cited at the time was that his GF had ordered him to go back to Brisbane where she was much likelier to have some fun. And,....., Charlie didn't like the cold in Adelaide. There may be legs on the latter, since he wore a long-sleeved guernsey back when they played us here. ;)

Prelim he was outstanding, GF he was clearly in our best 3-4. One of the only ones who seemed to keep trying after half time

I remember he copped a real big knock early on, I always wondered how much that affected his game. Not that it would've changed the result...

Say what you like about his reasons for hightailing it out but the bloke said himself he had family in Brisbane, Uncles, Aunts and cousins.

Has a player ever said they're leaving for money? I guess no player has ever left for money then...

The main reason he left was for money. The next biggest was he was always going to be the number 2 small forward with Betts in the team and he wasn't going to retire anytime soon. Family a possible smaller residual reason.

Has a player ever said they're leaving for money? I guess no player has ever left for money then...

The main reason he left was for money. The next biggest was he was always going to be the number 2 small forward with Betts in the team and he wasn't going to retire anytime soon. Family a possible smaller residual reason.

After getting his money, I reckon he dug out the family tree and a magnifying glass… managed to find some only 2,000 kms from Brisbane - that’ll do, close enough! #familyreunion

I recall Phil Davis admitting it played a part in his decision to join GWS, which instantly made me respect him a bit more.

More that he played second fiddle to Betts with us and was tasked with more defensive duties. Went up there to a good coaching group that allowed him to play at his best. Pyke stifled him.

Back