pugsville

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2001
leningrad
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Port Adeliade - I was commenting on the use made of entry concessions which was good rather than how good the concessions were which was poor. I thought port got reasonable bang per buck for the concessions they had.

North - unloaded some big talent in Carey, mcKernan (?) and Bell and did got some good value in the trade process. The last few years have seen some highly rated kids drafted but as yet not stepping up to major roles. Petire, Harris, Smith , Motlop could come good in teh next year or so but the proof of the pudding isnt there yet. They did well with the trading but they did have the cards to play. IF the kids come on really well you could boost the rating, says it's 5.5 with potential to be a 6.5 - 7 if some of these kids kick on..

Geelong - Great kids, it keeps being said but the teams performances havent really got going. McCarthy could be interesting, Playfair has done nothing really. Chapman loks a good sort, Sprigs seem sto have faded at the moment, same as North IF the kids kick on you can improve the rating, but on performance by the kids so far there is little proof in the pudding yet.

Collingwood - I'm a pies fan so I'm baisist no doubt. Yeah the Unshaw years were bloody awful. 3 number 3 picks and paul licura and steve McKee are all to really show for it, but Ricky O! trading with essendomn and getting yet another ruck from the tiges. I just put a line threw and started from the new adminstartion in 4 years the list has been totally rebuilt 6 players to a list that has the pies in serious contention. Harder to draw a line through the other clubs with new admins has generally they havent been there long enough to make a difference, North, Dogs , Carlton (?) Unlike clubs with "great" kids the collingwood lot are often found in the thick of it doing the job, Fraser, Ben Johnson, Didak, Lokan, Lonie are all regular performers in a serious finals contender there is is more proof in the pudding down at collingwood than youngsters at the dogs, carlton, cats or north.

I just couldnt sleep , I would claim to have posted a defiinative recruiting rap, I just thought I'd provoke debate my knowledge of exacting how the kids are going at all clubs is in no way complete.

McKee was a Malthouse decision not a Shaw one. McKee for King and the 3 pick for 6 was MM's first move and an out and out disatster when you consider Pavlich for Roach is effectively in the deal.

pavlich was always going to freo

freo would have taken pavlich at 2 if the pies held onto pick 3, richmond had annouced they were after a midfeiler. McKee for all his limitations was a key ingredinat in the pies getting to last years GF (and also key reason they were not good enough to win it) Roach was a bad more, IF pick 7 had panned out on the face of it it wasnt a that bad deal. (if you accept that no way pavlich was going anywhere but freo)

Why do collingwood get all the greif abot missing pavlich, on draft day the tiges went with fiora immediately before the dockers went pavlich. Equally guilty surely.

Originally posted by pugsville
I just couldnt sleep , I would claim to have posted a defiinative recruiting rap, I just thought I'd provoke debate my knowledge of exacting how the kids are going at all clubs is in no way complete.
Not a bad effort on the whole. I think that if you are going to rate clubs against each other then you have to be talking about the same timeframe, though.

With regard to North's recruiting, I'm pretty happy with their effort over the last 3 drafts. They've managed to pick up 7 top round picks (plus numerous 2nd rounders) by trading away some of their senior players.

In effect they've been laying down the foundations of the next team without spending significant time in the lower reaches of the ladder.

Of course, whether they have used these picks well won't be apparent for another couple of years. At this stage, of the first rounders, only Dylan Smith (No 6, 2000 draft) seems to have slipped off track.

Re: pavlich was always going to freo

freo would have taken pavlich at 2 if the pies held onto pick 3, richmond had annouced they were after a midfeiler.
Who knows if that is right really. Collingwood could have taken Haselby if Freo took Pavlich with number 2 and they desperately wanted Hasleby.
McKee for all his limitations was a key ingredinat in the pies getting to last years GF (and also key reason they were not good enough to win it)
All his limitations are what meant Collingwood couldn't win the flag in 2002 as you indiacted. That's the bottom line. Whether someone else could have done a negating job in the QF on Primus who knows. had Collingwood not taken McKee in all likelyhood they would ahve gone and traded for a ruckman between 2000 and 2002 out of neccessity.
Roach was a bad more, IF pick 7 had panned out on the face of it it wasnt a that bad deal. (if you accept that no way pavlich was going anywhere but freo)
Maybe Collingwood would have had Pavlich, maybe Haselby. They got Roach. It couldn't be any more stark.

Whatever noises Richmond made that convinced Freo that they would take a midfielder could surely have been even more credable from Collingwood given we already had a tall in the bag with the number 1 pick and we had Buckley as a premier midfielder but no other noted midfielders (Burns was played at half back and Licura was an unknown).
Why do collingwood get all the greif abot missing pavlich, on draft day the tiges went with fiora immediately before the dockers went pavlich. Equally guilty surely.
Sure they are but I couldn't care less about them and they can't even pea into the bowl properly these days so no one notices a little slip up like that.

dogs have had some trade winners:

Cameron to richmond for picks that resulted in Hahn and Hargreave. Cameron retired, Hahn and Hargreave set to play 200 games.

draft:
Murph was drafted at pick 10 or 12 in the same year as Fraser(?), and had been playing on the oppositions best players this year. Guido (pick 34) has also played 21 games this year, is set to make a difference.

Power (2001) has been fast tracked. MacMahon (2000) is probably the most disapointing of our first picks - is still razor thin and needs more bigger bodies around him to make use of his speed and disposal.

Essendon have had some nice trades in the last couple years.

McPhee and Cupido for Caracella.

Andrew Welsh and Joel Reynolds (via draft picks) for Hardwick, who has at best 1 year left. Just Welsh alone would have been a clear victory. Reynolds has good potential.

The Heffernan trade for a move up the draft order is still an unknown.

Ditto for Blumfield to Richmond for pick 30 odd. He gave nothing the last 2 years though, and we needed to free cap space.

Re: pavlich was always going to freo

Drop into the Richmond board sometime. Fiora's name rarlely gets mentioned without "the Pavlich blunder" being raised. However I seem to recall Freo saying at the time they would have passed on Pavlich and taken Fiora if he was still available. All seems too easy with hindsight..............

Remove this Banner Ad

Back