Recruiting

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You miss the point Bedders. McKinnon High is not affiliated with any club. Obviously De La and Xavier are. If Ormond, Glen Eira, St Pauls or any other local club have the foresight to try and form an alignment then fair play to them.

Bedders, my grumpy old buddy. dont bring me into this. My posting is first class.

Re this topic. Holy crap, any club who isn't out here attacking recruiting from all angles and with creative gusto will stay or fall down the grades.

Hats off to those with initiative. The free and wild thinkers that we all should and can be.

You miss the point Bedders. McKinnon High is not affiliated with any club. Obviously De La and Xavier are. If Ormond, Glen Eira, St Pauls or any other local club have the foresight to try and form an alignment then fair play to them.
I know mate. The whole thing is a payback as the local junior clubs voted against GE having juniors. The Ormond senior committee does and did not have a problem with GE having juniors. The more kids playing the game the better and no one should be stopped from having juniors. The problem is that the GE Pres targeted Ormond kids.

I know mate. The whole thing is a payback as the local junior clubs voted against GE having juniors. The Ormond senior committee does and did not have a problem with GE having juniors. The more kids playing the game the better and no one should be stopped from having juniors. The problem is that the GE Pres targeted Ormond kids.

Must have had Ormondian jumpers on while at school!

THE EYE
:huh:

We would much rather nurture our own players but unfortunately for us that is not possible.
Why isn't it? Why not go the lasting route and develop your own junior program as so many other district clubs have done rather than merely attempt to exploit clubs who have done the hard yards in addition to grabbing players by use of a ruse?

As I asked you before Rooster, why do it by a ruse? The purpose of the Old McKinnon label is to create the impression it is a McKinnon High School old boys club. A misleading impression.

As I asked you before Rooster, why do it by a ruse? The purpose of the Old McKinnon label is to create the impression it is a McKinnon High School old boys club. A misleading impression.

AM I just don’t know enough about it to label it a ruse. Some suggest it was underhanded, others suggest it was not. I simply don’t know. Maybe it is but the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

What I do know is that McKinnon High is not a renowned football nursery, is not affiliated with any particular club (or association) and that kids from that school already play for a host of local and not so local clubs. Have even had a few at my club, although I suspect far more play for Bentleigh, Ormond and St Pauls.

While not an apologist for GE Saints, I do know they have tried very hard previously to get juniors up and running but have had various impediments to that. Most notably that the area is already awash with junior and senior teams. We probably don’t need another but no harm in them trying to sustain themselves via some sort of alignment I guess. Must be tough getting a foothold when you have no particular school or suburban identity and have had to survive through multiple and on-going mergers. Personally I wish them well.

AM I just don’t know enough about it to label it a ruse. Some suggest it was underhanded, others suggest it was not. I simply don’t know. Maybe it is but the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

What I do know is that McKinnon High is not a renowned football nursery, is not affiliated with any particular club (or association) and that kids from that school already play for a host of local and not so local clubs. Have even had a few at my club, although I suspect far more play for Bentleigh, Ormond and St Pauls.

While not an apologist for GE Saints, I do know they have tried very hard previously to get juniors up and running but have had various impediments to that. Most notably that the area is already awash with junior and senior teams. We probably don’t need another but no harm in them trying to sustain themselves via some sort of alignment I guess. Must be tough getting a foothold when you have no particular school or suburban identity and have had to survive through multiple and on-going mergers. Personally I wish them well.
The two key points are whether it’s a ruse and whether in setting up that team they are using it to lure players from elsewhere. If both are true as I’m lead to believe they are then it’s ordinary and might come back to bite them.

Just observationally, why else would a club not be upfront and use its club name? Haven’t noticed your club, or any other for that matter, do it when setting a second unders team or clubbies team.

I’m also told the manner in which approaches were made was ordinary.

Full marks to GE for working through the issues and tying the knot with the Gryphons. Even if it is at the cost of a name change as is muted.

And full marks to them setting up an U19s team and seeking to mine the talent available at the local schools. You’d hope the other local clubs in the area would be doing the same. Even establishing a foothold at the Caulfield campus of Monash.

Why isn't it? Why not go the lasting route and develop your own junior program as so many other district clubs have done rather than merely attempt to exploit clubs who have done the hard yards in addition to grabbing players by use of a ruse?

Heres an idea. A club in the area could tap into Monash University in East Caulfield for players. Possibly, even base themselves out of the university.... dont know if anyone has thought of that

I am with you Briza. There are some Clubs out there that complain about other Clubs getting the jump on them. It happened this season with yours and is now happening with Glen Eira.

It not possible due to club voting power within the smjfl. We have had full approval from the league board for the past two seasons, but to admit new teams there also has to be 75% approval from member clubs. This wasn't a problem to start with only Ormond, Caulfield, Murrumbeena, St Paul's and for some strange reason oakleigh not wanting us in.

Then Elsternwick and Black Rock wanted to enter teams as well and voting blocks were formed to reject all 3 teams.

We are very fortunate that Bentleigh Football club stood up and said we can play under their banner as the Bentleigh Saints. This season we had an under 8s, 9s half an under 10s as well as an under 15 and 18 girls teams.

Carnegie/Murrumbeena has changed demographics in the past 10 years and there are more than enough kids to go round. Surrounding clubs don't see it the same way. Rather thanlet us have a team they want our ground to accomodate their third under 9s team as they don't have the space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It not possible due to club voting power within the smjfl. We have had full approval from the league board for the past two seasons, but to admit new teams there also has to be 75% approval from member clubs. This wasn't a problem to start with only Ormond, Caulfield, Murrumbeena, St Paul's and for some strange reason oakleigh not wanting us in.

Then Elsternwick and Black Rock wanted to enter teams as well and voting blocks were formed to reject all 3 teams.

We are very fortunate that Bentleigh Football club stood up and said we can play under their banner as the Bentleigh Saints. This season we had an under 8s, 9s half an under 10s as well as an under 15 and 18 girls teams.

Carnegie/Murrumbeena has changed demographics in the past 10 years and there are more than enough kids to go round. Surrounding clubs don't see it the same way. Rather thanlet us have a team they want our ground to accomodate their third under 9s team as they don't have the space.
No problems with any of that. But it had nothing to do with Ormond seniors who has no problem with it.

Thanks for the informative and measured response.

I'm interested in knowing what the purpose is of the name change?

There's more chance of you and OTP being awarded joint umpires of the year than OH going back to McKinnon, pazza.

As to the matter at hand, I'm confident my very reliable and extraordinarily well informed source will be comforted by the reassurances of G E Saint. Who I assume will be G E Gryphon in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back