Recruitment: Are we in trouble?

Remove this Banner Ad

Colledge and Bennell playing reserves is concerning because of their ages.

Guys in red should be out the door at the end of this year.

Underlined guys we could lose at any moment and id not worry to much about.

The Old
Priddis -31 (Elite inside midfielder, durable but ageing) .
Butler -30 (Not elite, but solid contributor. Injuries stay away he can play for years).
Lecras -30 (Got to question his year and his future based on that year).

Kennedy -29 (Elite, in career best form).
Hurn -29 (Elite, been durable for some time).

The Bad
Giles -28 (Not that good but is there to save other players from Rucking in the worst case scenario).
Bennell - 26 (Too old to be dropped to WAFL reserves).

McGinnity -27 (Spud and an aged one).
Lucas* -25 (outside midfielder with limited diposal skills).
Colledge* -22 (Not good enough mid or forward at AFL).
Karpany - 21 (Hasn't come on since year one).

The Injured
Ellis -28 (Good depth player, injuries mean he's not reliable part of the teams structure).
Mackenzie -28 (Elite at his best, if he can find it).
Tunbridge* -23 (Has some ability, but too injury prone to show it).
Cavka -20 (Retiring).
Waterman* -20 (Glandular fever/ chronic fatigue).

The Good: Elite or good role players
Wellingham -28 (Good role player).
Hill -27 (Career best form, growing versatility).
Schofield -27 (Edge of 22, good depth player).
Naitanui -26 (Elite Ruck, durability concerns)
Shuey -26 (A grade midfielder, still improving).
Sheppard -25 (high quality medium defender).
Darling -24 (Quality KPF, elite forward).
Gaff -24 (Elite outside midfielder).
Lycett -24 (Near elite Ruck).
McGovern -24 (Elite KPP).
Cripps -24 (Versatile small).
Yeo -23 (Best utility, clear room for improvement).
Sheed -21 (Best inside midfielder coming through, injuries are concerning though, might require change in role).
Barrass -21 (Highly regarded KPP who's opportunities start soon).
Nelson -20 (Production is there early in his career, bankable long term performer).
Duggan -20 (Quality player, what his peak performance is unknown).
Cole -19 (First year shown class).

Others: Depth and yet to be seen due to experience and arrival at club.

Brown - 28 (depth player, injury prone, aging; free agent).
Masten - 27 (flat footed outside midfielder but on a long term contract).

Jetta -27 (Divides opinions but for me he's not best 22 now, then when is he a lock?).
Redden -26 (C/B grade, playing below his best, needs to lift).
Hutchings -25 (Depth player, not yet contracted for 2017).
Adamson* -24 (Still developing but has question makes on him).
McInnes -23 (Depth player at best. contracted until the end of 2017).
Brophy* -22 (Still developing but has question makes on him).

The Young

Lamb -20 (Young, developing, has currency if either party seeks trade).
Partington -19 (Shown enough so far).
Mutimer -19 (Late start, showing signs of quality).
Snadden* -19 (Shown enough so far).
Allen -19 (I'm skeptical but he's got an extension).

Either find elite younger players in the age bracket of 20-25 or go to the draft. (Not mid tier types like Hill/Wellingham/ Jetta/ Redden) and if they've had injuries then they need to be even more highly rated and come at discount prices.
Good list. Agree with most of it. Think you're a little harsh on Jetta and redden but on form so far this year it's a fair opinion

Would have Bennell and Tunbridge in red

Colledge and Bennell playing reserves is concerning because of their ages.

Guys in red should be out the door at the end of this year.

Underlined guys we could lose at any moment and id not worry to much about.

The Old
Priddis -31 (Elite inside midfielder, durable but ageing) .
Butler -30 (Not elite, but solid contributor. Injuries stay away he can play for years).
Lecras -30 (Got to question his year and his future based on that year).

Kennedy -29 (Elite, in career best form).
Hurn -29 (Elite, been durable for some time).

The Bad
Giles -28 (Not that good but is there to save other players from Rucking in the worst case scenario).
Bennell - 26 (Too old to be dropped to WAFL reserves).

McGinnity -27 (Spud and an aged one).
Lucas* -25 (outside midfielder with limited diposal skills).
Colledge* -22 (Not good enough mid or forward at AFL).
Karpany - 21 (Hasn't come on since year one).

The Injured
Ellis -28 (Good depth player, injuries mean he's not reliable part of the teams structure).
Mackenzie -28 (Elite at his best, if he can find it).
Tunbridge* -23 (Has some ability, but too injury prone to show it).
Cavka -20 (Retiring).
Waterman* -20 (Glandular fever/ chronic fatigue).

The Good: Elite or good role players
Wellingham -28 (Good role player).
Hill -27 (Career best form, growing versatility).
Schofield -27 (Edge of 22, good depth player).
Naitanui -26 (Elite Ruck, durability concerns)
Shuey -26 (A grade midfielder, still improving).
Sheppard -25 (high quality medium defender).
Darling -24 (Quality KPF, elite forward).
Gaff -24 (Elite outside midfielder).
Lycett -24 (Near elite Ruck).
McGovern -24 (Elite KPP).
Cripps -24 (Versatile small).
Yeo -23 (Best utility, clear room for improvement).
Sheed -21 (Best inside midfielder coming through, injuries are concerning though, might require change in role).
Barrass -21 (Highly regarded KPP who's opportunities start soon).
Nelson -20 (Production is there early in his career, bankable long term performer).
Duggan -20 (Quality player, what his peak performance is unknown).
Cole -19 (First year shown class).

Others: Depth and yet to be seen due to experience and arrival at club.

Brown - 28 (depth player, injury prone, aging; free agent).
Masten - 27 (flat footed outside midfielder but on a long term contract).

Jetta -27 (Divides opinions but for me he's not best 22 now, then when is he a lock?).
Redden -26 (C/B grade, playing below his best, needs to lift).
Hutchings -25 (Depth player, not yet contracted for 2017).
Adamson* -24 (Still developing but has question makes on him).
McInnes -23 (Depth player at best. contracted until the end of 2017).
Brophy* -22 (Still developing but has question makes on him).

The Young

Lamb -20 (Young, developing, has currency if either party seeks trade).
Partington -19 (Shown enough so far).
Mutimer -19 (Late start, showing signs of quality).
Snadden* -19 (Shown enough so far).
Allen -19 (I'm skeptical but he's got an extension).

Either find elite younger players in the age bracket of 20-25 or go to the draft. (Not mid tier types like Hill/Wellingham/ Jetta/ Redden) and if they've had injuries then they need to be even more highly rated and come at discount prices.

Agree with almost all of these, harsh on Lecras and Masten though. They are players that require the team to perform well. I think our entire team needs to lift and if you slotted either of those into a brilliant system like Hawthorn's, they would perform much better.

I'll hold final judgment on Redden until he's had a full pre-season, but as I've been saying since round 1 - the guy is average. Through injury and poor form he hasn't played decent in years.

I'd keep Hutchings around as excellent depth and maybe a bit more.

Herald Scum paywall, can you quote the article for us plebs please??

Just google the name of the article and click the link. Use an Adblock as well, so you can be assured that you aren't contributing financially to the barely literate bog roll. Seriously though, EiC was between Robbo and John Ralph.... and i'd rather have Robbo.

Didn't realise Breust was scholarship selection, because I hadn't seen that mentioned anywhere. Google doesn't bring up anything

According to a couple of Hawks posters he wasn't a scholarship pick, but who knows:
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...reust-mega-thread.834224/page-5#post-32965901

Anyway, main point is that Hawthorn and Sydney's success hasn't been built simply by free agency or the academy, but by having strong depth thanks to good late/rookie drafting. Not that WC haven't had any success late in drafts, but IMO we haven't turned the list over enough to exploit these picks enough

The highlighted is for me the key point in all of this and our one true outright mistake. We havent turned the list over as much as we should.

Anyone actually cares if Colledge, Bennell and Tunbridge get chopped?

Nah.

Tunbridge - Was excited for his potential but with constant injuries i think it is time to go.

Colledge - Meh. Played some good WAFL games a few years ago but really is never going to get a game.

Bennell - Was a decent backup but is well down the pecking order. After Butler we have Ellis, Cole and Nelson so wont be a massive loss.

Anyone actually cares if Colledge, Bennell and Tunbridge get chopped?
The biggest problem I have now is that its a good draft apparently and last year we moved the majority of the list clogger's to the rookie list.
No doubt they were kept because of their contracts,maybe also because the last draft was seen as weak.
On the main list we have bennel( who I really thought would come on this year but hasn't),mcginnity and karpany who probably won't play another afl game.mcginnity might but probably not.with Cole going OK and nelson they are both in front of him
Karpany should be moved to the rookie list or paid out
Brown should be traded or moved to the rookie list.pretty far down the pecking order nowadays and unless Schofield is traded he isn't needed
So with bennell mcginnity, brown and karpany off the main list and no rookie upgrades needed we can either go deep into the draft or try to package picks and/or players
I would hope we use our first on the best inside mid available second on the best kpf available then best available from then on
In the rookie I want to see a kpd ,2 forward pockets

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I think Bennell should be given more opportunity as that crumbing forward that we supposedly started him in early this year., He looked good in the pre-season and then in the first game, but was made a bit of a scapegoat after the whole team folded against the Hawks in round two. Its a bit hard to contribute as a small forward when your mids fold like a pack of cards and dont give you many opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brown should be traded or moved to the rookie list.pretty far down the pecking order nowadays and unless Schofield is traded he isn't needed
So with bennell mcginnity, brown and karpany off the main list and no rookie upgrades needed we can either go deep into the draft or try to package picks and/or players

Brown's a FA so he can walk. I thought he might but he seems pretty happy here. If he's happy to play for EP fulltime like Giles then he's definitely worth keeping around as cover.

Can see Lamb asking for a trade. Can also see one of Ellis or Butler (probably the former) pulling the pin.

Add those moves to McGinnity, Bennell and Karpany being delisted and Cavka retiring and that's six senior list spots available, which is more than enough even in a strong draft.

If Colledge, Lucas, Tunners and Waterman go from the rookie list we'd have three spots plus room to re-rookie Karpany (who's contracted next year).

Nine new players is almost rebuild territory.

Brown's a FA so he can walk. I thought he might but he seems pretty happy here. If he's happy to play for EP fulltime like Giles then he's definitely worth keeping around as cover.

Can see Lamb asking for a trade. Can also see one of Ellis or Butler (probably the former) pulling the pin.

Add those moves to McGinnity, Bennell and Karpany being delisted and Cavka retiring and that's six senior list spots available, which is more than enough even in a strong draft.

If Colledge, Lucas, Tunners and Waterman go from the rookie list we'd have three spots plus room to re-rookie Karpany (who's contracted next year).

Nine new players is almost rebuild territory.
I would think we may trade in some experience too

Agree with almost all of these, harsh on Lecras and Masten though. They are players that require the team to perform well. I think our entire team needs to lift and if you slotted either of those into a brilliant system like Hawthorn's, they would perform much better.

I'll hold final judgment on Redden until he's had a full pre-season, but as I've been saying since round 1 - the guy is average. Through injury and poor form he hasn't played decent in years.

I'd keep Hutchings around as excellent depth and maybe a bit more

Just google the name of the article and click the link. Use an Adblock as well, so you can be assured that you aren't contributing financially to the barely literate bog roll. Seriously though, EiC was between Robbo and John Ralph.... and i'd rather have Robbo.

The issue with LeCras is his age coupled with his declining production. Masten i don't really rate, it's not that he can't produce more it's rather the way he plays football that i have issue with. If he had better or different players around him then i think he could be more consistent.

Redden and Jetta are simply haven't produced enough yet. There previous form counts for very little IMO.

Redden will come good. Lifted in that 4th quarter fightback on Sunday. Showing glimpses every week of something we don't have, and a full pre-season will allow him to position at more stoppages, extract and link up ala Rosa (I think we've underestimated his loss) with a better kick, vision & clean hands (not ruling out improvement this year, though!).

Jetta is concerning, but when it clicks, it'll click. If we do pick him, this weekend is a huge opportunity to perform against a solid side at home and repay some faith.

Not concerned with our drafting: we've recruited mature, ready-made depth players such as Hutchings & Ellis to fill gaps in our list, so it's not surprising and actually makes a lot of sense that we've been picking skinny kids who will take a bit of time to develop. It's rarely a good idea to throw a 19 year old to the wolves (and yet the composure shown by Nelson, Duggan & Cole in their senior opportunities is very exciting).

In addition, I feel as though the 2s is going through some kind of transition under Graham. Players like Colledge were finding big numbers over the last season or so playing consistent roles - that seems to have evaporated along with the whole team's form as we try new things. Can't underestimate the physical advantage that a mature WAFL side has over a bunch of 20 year olds. Now Bennell, that's a weird one, maybe he just isn't that good?

WCE's coaching and development is more professional than ever; we are so lucky to have Simpson steering the ship. We're building for sustained success and an ongoing development culture like that at Hawthorn, where one can be up the ladder and give draftees the time to develop flexibility in multiple roles.

We're not that far off...

Yeah I reckon we will be fine and long term sustained sucses is important

McGovern . Once Barrass is the best CHB in the league by the end of next season :)
I used to think that too but maybe the gov is too valuable down back?if and when barrass is a full timer in the best 22 all our other kpds will be nearing the end of their careers

I really hope we are looking to find a replacement for kennedy soon!
Need to go hard for McCarthy I reckon. Looks like he's pretty set on Freo but a fat pay cheque (within reason) can change a lot of things. It's easy to forget that Josh Kennedy is not far off hitting the dreaded 30th birthday.

Need to go hard for McCarthy I reckon. Looks like he's pretty set on Freo but a fat pay cheque (within reason) can change a lot of things. It's easy to forget that Josh Kennedy is not far off hitting the dreaded 30th birthday.
Not sure about McCarthy, would be OK but hogan is the one we should throw the kitchen sink at

Remove this Banner Ad

Back