Recruitment: Are we in trouble?

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Not sure about McCarthy, would be OK but hogan is the one we should throw the kitchen sink
Either would be very nice. We certainly need to start a plan for life post Kennedy. If history is anything to go by 2017 will probably be his last year as a consistent gun key forward and he'll be retired a year or two after that. We'd all love him to carry on as he has for longer, but the reality is that if that were too happen it would go against the usual trends. We don't want to get to 2019 and be thinking "*, who do we play up front?"

McGovern going forward is an obvious solution but we then have the same problem down back not forgetting that McKenzie is 28 himself and coming back from an ACL.

The big men in our best 22 have been a strength for a long time, but we've not had the greatest depth in the key position stakes during that time (few clubs do to be fair) so we need to make some planning around that area. Even NicNat is 26 and into his 8th season and given his injury run is likely about 2/3rds of the way through his career.

One gun midfielder and key position depth should be our aim in this years recruitment period.

Which gun mid would want to come across here? I am not talking about a maybe A grader, but an actual living breathing apparent A grader... :/
Would David Swallow be attainable? He and Sheed in the middle would make me happy. Maybe injuries make it a bad idea even if we could get him.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Mar 25, 2003
Which gun mid would want to come across here? I am not talking about a maybe A grader, but an actual living breathing apparent A grader... :/
Thats the eternal struggle I guess. There's a few around looking at moving clubs (O'Meara and Swallow) but doesn't look like in our direction.

Having that would just make such a huge difference to the team. It also pushes everyone in the midfield down a cog. Shuey gets less attention from the opposition so he becomes more damaging, less reliance on Priddis at the coalface, one of Masten, Hutchings or Redden goes to the WAFL....

But where the mystery man comes from is anyone's guess.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
All I know in 2014 is that I was gobsmacked when we passed over Weller and Blakely. Dredge up the draft thread if you want.

I'm assuming that the club thought Waterman would become the inside beast to replace Priddis eventually and that's why they bypassed Blakely and went full #YOLO on Lamb.

Had the club know about Waterman's illness, I have no doubt they would have taken Blakely. He had so many wraps on him, was even 5th on Knightmare's big board that year out of everyone. I could not believe he slipped to the 30s. The whole league is taking notice of he and Weller now.

Duggan whom? to everyone else.

Last edited:
Would David Swallow be attainable? He and Sheed in the middle would make me happy. Maybe injuries make it a bad idea even if we could get him.
Think the i word is the key here, although heard he's sought help from North's medical team because Suns one was s**t? lol

Last edited:
I really hope we are looking to find a replacement for kennedy soon!

Luke Strnadica would be a nice get with our second rounder I am a big fan and I think he is a serious talent.
Very reliable shot at goal and pretty good mark. Good size 199 cm and 93 kg "skinny as" at the moment so he has the frame to add another 12 to 15 kg.
His ruck work in the forward line is pretty tidy as well. Will take him three years to bulk up and make a serious push into the side and that should coincide with JK being on the way out.

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Luke Strnadica would be a nice get with our second rounder I am a big fan and I think he is a serious talent.
Very reliable shot at goal and pretty good mark. Good size 199 cm and 93 kg "skinny as" at the moment so he has the frame to add another 12 to 15 kg.
His ruck work in the forward line is pretty tidy as well. Will take him three years to bulk up and make a serious push into the side and that should coincide with JK being on the way out.
Sounds good,hope we can pick up a zippy small forward or 2 this year as well

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
How do you rate the depth of the draft this year? Say we wanted to get rid of 10 players at the end of the season, would we find enough players with potential in the draft to replace them?

How do you rate the depth of the draft this year? Say we wanted to get rid of 10 players at the end of the season, would we find enough players with potential in the draft to replace them?
You'd be silly to replace 10 players in the one hit.

I'm not saying it's going to happen (because it's obviously not), just pondering. I think if you combined who we should get rid of from the main list and rookie list you'd come close to 10 though.
Probably over it mate. A heap of dead wood to get rid of.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Mar 25, 2003
You'd be silly to replace 10 players in the one hit.
Certainly not when you're our position. Yes it's been a frustrating year and hasn't lived up to the hype after making a GF. But we're a long way from being in a position of total clean out required.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Certainly not when you're our position. Yes it's been a frustrating year and hasn't lived up to the hype after making a GF. But we're a long way from being in a position of total clean out required.
Our position where our midfield is terrible? Why not get rid of 10 of the bottom of the barrel players, I mean is anyone on our regular rookie list worth keeping for a start? Then you've got a bunch of spuds who will likely never see an eagles regular season jumper again. We know what they've got to offer (and it's f-all) so why not roll the dice on some new players. And it doesn't have to be all young players, maybe there's some mature age players out there as well who can offer more than what we've currently got.

Bokonon

Cancelled
May 3, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Our position where our midfield is terrible? Why not get rid of 10 of the bottom of the barrel players, I mean is anyone on our regular rookie list worth keeping for a start? Then you've got a bunch of spuds who will likely never see an eagles regular season jumper again. We know what they've got to offer (and it's f-all) so why not roll the dice on some new players. And it doesn't have to be all young players, maybe there's some mature age players out there as well who can offer more than what we've currently got.
Maybe we could interest you in McCarthy next year? We need competition at tbe trade table

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
The issue with LeCras is his age coupled with his declining production. Masten i don't really rate, it's not that he can't produce more it's rather the way he plays football that i have issue with. If he had better or different players around him then i think he could be more consistent.

Redden and Jetta are simply haven't produced enough yet. There previous form counts for very little IMO.
just wonder if it's also partly due to lack of development. Just a thought as its unusual not to have at least a few players in the 2s who would be knocking on the door for a senior spot. That's probably why so many of our seniors players are in their comfort zone as don't have to fight for their spot.

Bokonon

Cancelled
May 3, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I'm all for screwing over fremantle. Putting whether he is the right fit for this team aside, what do we have that would interest you do you think?
I reckon a bunch of low value picks might do it, if the AFl doesn't change the rules on academy drafts. Otherwise 2nd round pick, trouble is that would be lower than tbeirs so might need a sweetner. Cant see players personally as it hurts me every time we recruit players and someone has to go. I' m assuming you'd want to hang on to Nic Nat, Priddis and Kennedy (Joke)

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
just wonder if it's also partly due to lack of development. Just a thought as its unusual not to have at least a few players in the 2s who would be knocking on the door for a senior spot. That's probably why so many of our seniors players are in their comfort zone as don't have to fight for their spot.
Barrass,nelson and Cole are probably the only ones worth considering right now.jetta if he gets a couple of good games under his belt.
Some of the more senior back ups(brnnell Colledge etc) have been dropped to the ressies

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I reckon a bunch of low value picks might do it, if the AFl doesn't change the rules on academy drafts. Otherwise 2nd round pick, trouble is that would be lower than tbeirs so might need a sweetner. Cant see players personally as it hurts me every time we recruit players and someone has to go. I' m assuming you'd want to hang on to Nic Nat, Priddis and Kennedy (Joke)
As far as I'm concerned you can have Priddis, please, please take him. In all seriousness I actually think he'd do quite well for you surrounded by your dynamic midfield, but I doubt the team would ever trade him. It's tough to see a trade that would trump what Freo are offering and meets both teams needs. How's Pickett recovering? I'd involve him in any trade if I could.

Back