Environment Recycling

Remove this Banner Ad

The so called recycling is really just what gets thrown in the recycling bin, contamination & all - there is NO market for the stream of waste in the recycling bins.

The energy from waste initiatives in WA are leading the nation on waste disposal, recycling for recyclings sake is sheer stupidity. In Victoria we going to 4 x bins per household* to sort the waste at source - local government are at play, & this motley bunch of egomaniacs cant even agree on bin lid colours, yet they are getting a gig in solving the problem - what hope?

*https://theconversation.com/four-bi...-a-strong-market-for-recycled-products-132440

I like pink and blue. Fingers crossed they consider my colour needs when we shift to 4 bins!

There is a potential problem with the garden waste/food waste bins around Melbourne - seems the fortnightly collection disturbs the flies that surround so many of these bins in upmarket Williamstown.
Over the bay in equally upmarket Brighton the Council gave* residents biodegradable caddy liners, & there have been problems, however the Council is relyingon ratepayers to buy the more expensive replacement liners (the bags must be compostable, labelled with the AS 4736 logo. Biodegradable and plastic bags cannot go in the food and green waste bin as they will not break down during the composting process).

* a Council giving something to ratepayers from the rates ... ;) .... good luck.

There is a potential problem with the garden waste/food waste bins around Melbourne - seems the fortnightly collection disturbs the flies that surround so many of these bins in upmarket Williamstown.
Over the bay in equally upmarket Brighton the Council gave* residents biodegradable caddy liners, & there have been problems, however the Council is relyingon ratepayers to buy the more expensive replacement liners (the bags must be compostable, labelled with the AS 4736 logo. Biodegradable and plastic bags cannot go in the food and green waste bin as they will not break down during the composting process).

* a Council giving something to ratepayers from the rates ... ;) .... good luck.

there has to be a better way for composting rather than a truck once a week

there are some obvious answers that would remove trucks, enable daily collection and provide local compost. Unfortunately councils and governments know to being practical can sometimes be very unpopular with electorates.

Australian households have thrown out more than 10 per cent more rubbish and recyclables via kerbside bins during the COVID-19 lockdown, amid a spike in supermarket shopping and home deliveries.

The Australian Council of Recycling says urgent action is needed to manage the additional volumes of plastic waste generated in the past two months.

CEO Pete Shmigel also warns people are throwing the wrong things in kerbside recycling bins – especially soft plastics – leading to unprecedented levels of contamination.

The impact of the coronavirus casts further doubt on Australia’s ability to meet national packaging recycling targets by 2025, which were agreed by federal and state governments in 2018.

Time we moved from what we hope can be done TO what we are doing.
Sorting rubbish before it goes to landfill is gross mismanagement. Own it !!

Are local councils dumping recyclables now we can't export to China?
By Eliza Borrello
Posted 9hhours ago, updated 8hhours ago
A pile of rubbish with the word 'fail' in red stamped across the top.

WA is falling well short of its 2020 recycling target.

Well fair dinkum, recycling has a commercial reality, someone has to pay & that is always someone else.
Ssshh, dont tell anyone, they arent going to pay either.

The landfill lobby are big winners with more & more headed that way, as are the State Governments pocketing landfill levies doing into consolidated revenue.

At least WA are building an integral component of the waste disposal jigsaw, waste to energy beats landfill hands down.

Are local councils dumping recyclables now we can't export to China?
By Eliza Borrello
Posted 9hhours ago, updated 8hhours ago
A pile of rubbish with the word 'fail' in red stamped across the top. 'fail' in red stamped across the top.

WA is falling well short of its 2020 recycling target.

Well fair dinkum, recycling has a commercial reality, someone has to pay & that is always someone else.
Ssshh, dont tell anyone, they arent going to pay either.

The landfill lobby are big winners with more & more headed that way, as are the State Governments pocketing landfill levies doing into consolidated revenue.

At least WA are building an integral component of the waste disposal jigsaw, waste to energy beats landfill hands down.

100% of Nedlands recycling ends up in landfill. I assume this is true for most, if not all, of Perth's suburbs.

Nothing has changed, recycled plastic has no value despite the landfill levy.

The Guardian is quick to criticise the private sector but here in Australia, local government is complicit, 'up to the armpits',and its at cost to the ratepayers.
The green sentiment is fine but the waste of ratepayers money needs to be transparent.

What is the solution other than stop the charade playing out now?

Anyone else now have a collection of the reusable plastic bags from supermarkets? Especially now we are getting home delivery.

So I'm now paying to get plastic bags

Missus now using them to put dog s**t in once a week and throw it in the bin (I scoop the dog s**t into the garden waste bin).

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

The wouldbe Green lobby is still in denial over how much of waste stream from the recycling bins is NOT being recycled because no one wants it, its worth nothing, people cant be paid to take it away:
Adelaide's Visy recycling factory at Wingfield catches fire, sending smoke over Adelaide's north

&

Emergency trash talk as recycling piles up
Authorities are racing to find a place to send recycling after a fire at a processing plant. The LGA warned of no yellow bin collection if no solution was found.

The wouldbe Green lobby is still in denial over how much of waste stream from the recycling bins is NOT being recycled because no one wants it, its worth nothing, people cant be paid to take it away:
Adelaide's Visy recycling factory at Wingfield catches fire, sending smoke over Adelaide's north

&

Authorities are racing to find a place to send recycling after a fire at a processing plant. The LGA warned of no yellow bin collection if no solution was found.

get paid to build up inventory, claim for 7 cubic metres when only 4 was actually delivered, fire, insurance claim

gotta love this industry

get paid to build up inventory, claim for 7 cubic metres when only 4 was actually delivered, fire, insurance claim

gotta love this industry

Its measured in tonnes, a tonne of metal, a tonne of PET ..... hides many sins, no matter whether its volume or weight.

I'm pro recycling but let us know what is really going on.

Its measured in tonnes, a tonne of metal, a tonne of PET ..... hides many sins, no matter whether its volume or weight.

I just put an offer on a plant in WA

The pricing was by cubic metre. They separate into three piles and then take the thee piles to the dump.

Another in plastic is ever increasing in size, so expect a fire in the coming years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of deja vu for Melbourne, fortunately Visy has deeper pockets & better pull politically - same result though, into a Cleanaway landfill.
Time the yellow lidded recycling bin became an open book, how much goes to landfill becomes public knowledge.

After the fire: Leaked council letter details recycling plans
A massive fire at a Wingfield recycling plant has severely hampered SA’s waste processing – but a leaked letter reveals what will happen next.

Adelaidenow.com.au | Subscribe to The Advertiser for exclusive stories

mine are pretty good. i rinse most of the time until things are clean, other times i have to weigh up the effort of reaching for the brush to take off the congealed goop.

work at a place with some s**t efforts, people chucking things into whatever bin is handy. plastic in the fogo, you name it.

mine are pretty good. i rinse most of the time until things are clean, other times i have to weigh up the effort of reaching for the brush to take off the congealed goop.

work at a place with some s**t efforts, people chucking things into whatever bin is handy. plastic in the fogo, you name it.

The problem here is the transparency of those overseeing the recycling efforts, e.g the co-mingled bins (yellow lids), it's public image was built around participation, whilst ignoring the tonnages going to landfill, after going through the cost of being sorted.

What goes into bins is 100% in the hands of the householder & Councils are reluctant to have bins individually sorted (i.e outside the regular collection) & the results reported. Its easier to blame the truck driver delivering a load to the recycling facility.

FOGO needs to report its success & more importantly its fails/tonneages to landfill - I wont hold my breath. The fear of people rejecting sorting their rubbish because the program is struggling needs to be addressed front on, not hidden away as is an inconvenient truth.

'The Albanese Labor government has set aside $60 million to increase soft plastic recycling, but has also taken sharper aim at major plastic waste producers and wants to hold them accountable for it.

Environment Minister Tanya Plibersek said that as companies such as Coles and Woolworths generate a large share of waste, they should be directly responsible to help recycle it.

"It shouldn't be beyond these big supermarkets to come up with a viable solution to allow Australians to continue to recycle," Ms Plibersek said.'

Terrific stuff from the Minister .... :oops: .... every level of government has environmental departments full of public servants & she wants Coles & Woolies to be responsible for the packaging its suppliers use.
Lazy, lazy.

Terrific stuff from the Minister .... :oops: .... every level of government has environmental departments full of public servants & she wants Coles & Woolies to be responsible for the packaging its suppliers use.
Lazy, lazy.

Well, they do create a lot of it. Should help, no?

FFS surely we can find a solution for plastic bags rather than returning to paper bags, resulting in increased forestry

We know one of the biggest issues is plastics entering the waterways and oceans, then forming microplastics. Would it not make sense, knowing the PH of oceans is 8.1 to develop a material that breaks down in a PH 8?

I can't think of any food requiring plastic with a PH greater than 8

This is something the Productivity Commission should look into. They last reported on this issue in 1991. Since then, paper newspaper copy has gone to almost nothing, the Chinese market for selling recyclable material has come and gone, the concern about CFCs has just about disappeared.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back