Environment Recycling

Remove this Banner Ad

Something that i very rarely if ever think about. Its a government issue not a consumer issue as far as im concerned
Do you want your taxes to pay for someone to sort your garbage or fine you for not doing it yourself?

giphy.gif

Something that i very rarely if ever think about. Its a government issue not a consumer issue as far as im concerned
It's a consumer issue as we keep consuming all this packaging

You want the government to fix it you have to put pressure on

You want companies to stop using too much packaging don't buy the packaged stuff. If everyone left the fruit and veg in plastic bags on the shelves at the supermarket to rot they'd stop packaging them pretty quickly

Wrong forum to be trolling on BRAB, also nice of you to be stalking through my posts off my notifications ;).

Not trolling friend. Apologies if it came across that way.

You dont get money for it at the container place but our council takes it,not much profit in recycling glass it costs more than making it from new material,I think it gets used in road construction ??
Only a small % if someone wants to buy it, nearly all recycling goes into landfill because the Chinese arent buying it. Except some paper.

Technology and price may mean it will be mined in the future.

I remember in Germany 30 years ago outside in the supermarket car parks there was containers to recycle things in.
There was a hole for brown glass, clear glass, green glass,tin aluminium,plastics and paper.
People just parked there, did their recycling, then went shopping.
It would be taken away and recycled easily

There was even a point with a dip stick vacuum so you could suck out your oil and it would get recycled and you would buy new oil from the shop

30 years ago
That's because they have laws like recycle concrete must make up 10 to 25% of new buildings. Greens are just alot smarter in germany than the brain dead variety here.

It's a consumer issue as we keep consuming all this packaging

You want the government to fix it you have to put pressure on

You want companies to stop using too much packaging don't buy the packaged stuff. If everyone left the fruit and veg in plastic bags on the shelves at the supermarket to rot they'd stop packaging them pretty quickly

It's also a retailer/wholesaler/supplier/producer issue. Coca Cola Amatil for example are against cash for containers programs.

As a consumer you can only do so much to minimise how much packaging you end up taking home. Fruit and veg is pretty easy, I can walk out of Coles/Woolies or a proper fruit and veg shop without any packaging no worries. A couple of loose carrots in the bottom of the basket is actually not the end of the World. But if I buy other stuff I invariably end up with cardboard, plastic, tins etc. to deal with.

The best I can do from my end is put the recycling out and take back all my soft plastic bags to the supermarket for them to recycle.

That's because they have laws like recycle concrete must make up 10 to 25% of new buildings. Greens are just alot smarter in germany than the brain dead variety here.
Doubt it, I bet its more to do with not having the short sighted ideological opposition we get in Australia

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw that Carlton Dry put a Facebook post up about bringing their twist tops back and a lot of the Facebook posts were about them bringing cardboard boxes back rather than plastic.
I drink Carlton Dry and they come in a cardboard box! ;)
Seriously though, the six packs weren’t secure with cardboard wrapping. I’m more pissed that the bottle content has decreased from 355ml to 330ml.

I drink Carlton Dry and they come in a cardboard box! ;)
Seriously though, the six packs weren’t secure with cardboard wrapping. I’m more pissed that the bottle content has decreased from 355ml to 330ml.
Yeah there was a lot to be said about that as well :p. Of course no replies from Carlton Dry on whether the 25ml is returning.

Sadly these guys are right
https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/01/28/australia-doesnt-need-to-recycle/
&
the general public have been conned that our household rubbish is recyclable, it took the Chinese to blow the whistle on the do gooders in Local Government, busy patting themselves on the back over their recycling participation rates & the so called diversion from landfill.

Household recycling is little more than a Ponzi Scheme. Read the article & cry.

&
the general public have been conned that our household rubbish is recyclable, it took the Chinese to blow the whistle on the do gooders in Local Government, busy patting themselves on the back over their recycling participation rates & the so called diversion from landfill.

Interesting ... on Monday my yellow bin was smashed down so hard the plastic rims got crushed and both wheels popped half off / mangled. mongrel. Love it. Da da da da da .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

&

Koch brothers owned media outlet ....sounds legit

Spiked (also written as sp!ked) is a British Internet magazine focusing on politics, culture and society. It is funded by the Koch brothers through the Charles Koch Foundation.

Koch brothers owned media outlet ....sounds legit

Spiked (also written as sp!ked) is a British Internet magazine focusing on politics, culture and society. It is funded by the Koch brothers through the Charles Koch Foundation.

Whoever, they're right & we are being conned by well meaning incompetents at the local Council.

Trust you arent one of the types who only reads opinions you agree with, they are thick on the ground .... thats thick !

I take my stuff straight to the recycling depot, or to special recycling bins at the community center to dispose of electrical waste, batteries, light bulbs, etc.

It's also important to reuse.

I also salvage metal and plastic which I keep in storage for reuse or eventual recycle.

I take my stuff straight to the recycling depot, or to special recycling bins at the community center to dispose of electrical waste, batteries, light bulbs, etc.

It's also important to reuse.

I also salvage metal and plastic which I keep in storage for reuse or eventual recycle.

Good example of ordinary people who care, BUT are the materials you separated actually being recycled - the Chinese Sword revealed it was a big NO.
Its not as if someone picks up those bins you used & pays for the stuff.

For the metro householders:
https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2019/02/think-twice-before-recycling-black-plastic/

Good example of ordinary people who care, BUT are the materials you separated actually being recycled - the Chinese Sword revealed it was a big NO.
Its not as if someone picks up those bins you used & pays for the stuff.

For the metro householders:
https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2019/02/think-twice-before-recycling-black-plastic/

I havent seen anything wrong about the community centre bins. They have a sign referring any larger waste to the nearest recycling center, so I assume that's where it ends up going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back