Environment Recycling

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Yeah there was a lot to be said about that as well :p. Of course no replies from Carlton Dry on whether the 25ml is returning.
It used to be a fair massive effort to knock off a whole carton of beer, at 1.2 standard drinks a bottle not so much these days.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The latest fiasco with Aus recycling being returned from Indonesia includes nappies - thats how bad the abuse of the yellow lidded bins continue to be - no doubt there will be a committee (or 9) tut tutting, bloody disgrace, its been a while since China told us our recycling is rubbish & still no action from Councils to clean it up.

Reminded that some Councils tried to blame the collection contractor, the bloke driving the collection truck !!!!

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
44 gallon drum and a bit of petrol. Sorted.

So which Minister are you advising, in Vic its Lil the dill, you'd fit in well.

Those bins with those magic yellow lids,
throw rubbish in & call it recyclables,
sure beats paying to landfill the same stuff.

Tell Lil we dont buy her rubbish & stop calling it recyclables, its rubbish.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
So which Minister are you advising, in Vic its Lil the dill, you'd fit in well.

Those bins with those magic yellow lids,
throw rubbish in & call it recyclables,
sure beats paying to landfill the same stuff.

Tell Lil we dont buy her rubbish & stop calling it recyclables, its rubbish.

1e6

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
COAG is going to bring out the virtue signallers, the well meaning dreamers, ask yourself though who pays, was the commercial aspect even mentioned.

Here is one example already out & about: Micro factories, great idea but?

The Uni has the resources to cost it, develop a business, call for a commercial partner, why has it not been done .... dreamers on the public purse.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
What are your recycling habits like?

I’ll be one to put my hand up and say I’m pretty bad, I go through a 50 pack of sandwich bags a week while meal prepping my lunch and dinners, and probably a roll or two of paper towel. I do try my best to seperate recyclables and general waste when cooking and the like, however I’m also not going to take a bin out if the other one isn’t full yet. :$ Also notorious for still buying Woolies and Coles ‘non plastic’ plastic bags rather than bringing one of my own non plastic bags.

Over to you BigFooty!

or is it simply a waste of time? A con job?

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Singapore and Japan manage to burn rubbish and turn it into energy without releasing toxic pollution. Why can't we do that?
Burning anything coal gas rubbish (methane from rubbish which we do) produces carbon emissions.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Burning anything coal gas rubbish (methane from rubbish which we do) produces carbon emissions.

As a 3rd world country that we are compared to either Singapore or Japan, see our failed handling of recycling, we can continue what we are doing & landfilling plastics but we need to stop calling yellow lidded bins in the households, stop calling them recycling bins, its rubbish says China, says Indonesia.

A few realists like Visy, they have a w2e facility at Coolaroo.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I think I am okay- my general rubbish is pretty low and I try my best not to waste food. (altho with fruit and veggies thats sometimes unavoidable)

Putting snacks in plastic containers and leaving them at work, eg. nuts, biscuits, etc- unless they're sealed properly is a good idea.

I use glad wrap and brown paper bags tho occasionally. Esp the time i chucked an apple in my bag just as it was and then idk but it tasted like ******* deodorant somehow, or some kind of perfume. Fruit in a bag at all times since.

I always use green bags at Coles.

Here is some food for thought:

..... everyone puts their hands up and says they’re a recycler.
The trucks that run around to pick up the recyclables at kerbside, they say they’re the recyclers.
The MRFs say they’re the recyclers,
the traders say they’re the recyclers,
even the manufacturers say they’re recyclers.

The true recyclers are the people who purchase recycled products.
The emphasis has all been in the wrong area.

The traders are just that, traders. The MRFs are logistics. The trucking companies are logistics.

You do get washed out in the green. There’s a lot of greenwashing who the actual recyclers are.

Edumecational & all, they missed dills that put rubbish in their yellow lidded bins & the Councils that have been asleep for the past 2 years as household recycling went to hell in a hand basket.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Here is some food for thought:

..... everyone puts their hands up and says they’re a recycler.
The trucks that run around to pick up the recyclables at kerbside, they say they’re the recyclers.
The MRFs say they’re the recyclers,
the traders say they’re the recyclers,
even the manufacturers say they’re recyclers.

The true recyclers are the people who purchase recycled products.
The emphasis has all been in the wrong area.

The traders are just that, traders. The MRFs are logistics. The trucking companies are logistics.

You do get washed out in the green. There’s a lot of greenwashing who the actual recyclers are.

Edumecational & all, they missed dills that put rubbish in their yellow lidded bins & the Councils that have been asleep for the past 2 years as household recycling went to hell in a hand basket.
You no doubt make some good points but when it's laid out like a "These six life hacks will make you rich!" it makes it extremely painful to read.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
You no doubt make some good points but when it's laid out like a "These six life hacks will make you rich!" it makes it extremely painful to read.

Its no good only reading it, happy to take the criticism on board, its only action that really counts.

Seems the State Govt (Vic) has heard their is a problem, more than 2 years since the Chinese told us our household recycling is rubbish ....

The biggest challenge is the fact that too much of the waste is contaminated," Ms Ambrosio told 3AW radio.

"We know that if we actually separate out the types of waste at the kerbside collection point, we have a much cleaner waste stream."

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Stop Pretending Your Trash Is Recyclable
..... ever stood in front of your recycling bin — unsure if the trash in your hands is recyclable — and threw it in anyway, this article is for you.

..... ever stood in front of your recycling bin with a takeaway coffee cup? Some are, some arent ....

But when you add potential non-recyclables to your bin, you’re directly contaminating your real recyclables and presenting several issues for recycling facilities (and especially for areas that rely on single-stream recycling, when all recyclables are collected in a single bin, versus separated by material into different bins).

When in doubt, throw it out

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Energy from waste will provide base load (dispatchible) power, & very little emissions due to our population.

Back