Opinion Red card (now with poll)

Should the red card be introduced at AFL level?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. Undoubtedly.

Needs to happen soon, but not done by the four muppets on the field. Send it to New York a'la NFL.

Gutted for Brayshaw... he's a legend like his older brother. Didn't deserve that.

It's been time for a while. They can review it while play continues and give it out 5 minutes later so it's not spur of the moment, that solves the main problem.

A reminder that Jeremy Cameron kicked 5 goals after he knocked out Andrews in a game GWS won by 20 points. How would we feel if this game was under a goal considering Gaff kicked one and had an influence?

The umps on the ground shouldn't. An umpire up in the box that can do some quick reviews of play etc should be able to do it, but they need to document their decisions on what and why at that time and make it public, the opportunity for match fixing etc is there and you'd better be clear on the justification and get it right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The umps on the ground shouldn't. An umpire up in the box that can do some quick reviews of play etc should be able to do it, but they need to document their decisions on what and why at that time and make it public, the opportunity for match fixing etc is there and you'd better be clear on the justification and get it right.

There are 3 or 4 incidents a year that are clearly at the higher end of penalties and could be given a red card. Other than those few incidents the current system should be adhered to.

It's been time for a while. They can review it while play continues and give it out 5 minutes later so it's not spur of the moment, that solves the main problem.

A reminder that Jeremy Cameron kicked 5 goals after he knocked out Andrews in a game GWS won by 20 points. How would we feel if this game was under a goal considering Gaff kicked one and had an influence?
In basketball, hard fouls are reviewed by the referees on a monitor. If the foul is too heavy they eject the player out of the ground.

If the AFL could actually run a world class professional sport rather than this glorified amateur bush league dressed up like something more, then a red card system might be viable. But as it is, they need to sort out other things first. They could start by making sure the coward Sniper gets many many many weeks.

Well yeah, something like that.

If the AFL are legit (I know, LOL) something like what Gaff did would get in the order of 12 or so weeks (over half a regular season) at an absolute minimum, and work up from there for impact, injury etc. working up to about a year of more. Any other pro sport would operate in that order, hence my comment in the above post.

In principle I think a red card system should exist, but if they just get the mechanism they currently have working as they should then its a conversation that we'd likely never need.

Last edited:
I'm just disgusted Papa.
Andy makes a full recovery and plays with the same vigour and courage next year I may come back to the AFL with some interest, given Gaff is dealt with appropriately.
At the minute it's just a bridge too far.

No.

Our game is too complicated to umpire already, I don't trust them to get this right.

You can't let isolated, outlier and ugly incidents change the game. Gaff will be taken care of by the tribunal. Idiots are going to idiot, let's not give the umpires another chance to ruin things.

If the umpires are able to consult video evidence (or the emergency umpire can) then I think there at least needs to be some sort of 'official' way to remove a player from the field. Every other sport has this except footy.

No, let him play out the remainder of the game and let him run the gantlet. He is lucky Lukey Ryan protected him because Michael Johnson would have handed down the retribution and the red card in one!

Back