Red Cards in Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

I've seen guys reported for essentially nothing, from whatever angle you view the umpires with, whether them being garbage or the difficulty of umpiring this game it's gonna lead to more problems than a guy staying on the field when they did something unacceptable. Overreactions like this lead to the sliding rule. No team will ever lose a grand final because a player got taken out in the first place, that'd be a poor excuse.

Pretty sure Blight would take Yeates getting sent off if he'd broken another one or two of Brereton's ribs, If it's gonna be the calculated game altering result you claim. With so many players in Aussie Rules, a great team lives with it even if they lose a superstar. We won flags without Buddy, Geelong won a flag without Ablett.

Going back to the sliding rule, have people even considered that the amount of diving would go through the roof to Soccer and Basketball levels if you can get guys sent off? We emphasize contact enough as it is, but the floodgates would well and truly open. Clumsily fixing non existent problems and creating far more, the AFL will no doubt end up doing it.

Last edited:

Seriously, people do get it is actually an existing rule in most Australian rules comps, yeah?

Red cards in footy exist. They’re rarely used. And even more rarely has someone taken a dive to get another carded

They are rarely used because they are only for Barry Hall type incidents or intentional umpire contact. People saying this incident should be a red card is laughable.

We had them back in 1978

s-l300.jpg

I preferred the blue cards from 1980

s-l225.jpg

Re read the post you quoted … was highlighting "one of the worst sniper acts in 35 years", don't deflect, respond to the points quoted.

No it does not disqualify you from commenting … just makes you look like a flog ….
So you don't see malicious intent in what Cameron did? It wasn't serious to you?

By the way, struggling to debate somebody without resorting to insults is the sign of a weak mind.

I actully agree with you that they should have them. I just doubt your boys would have beaten the Bombers that year, they were unstoppable.
Yeah, I agree mate, we were very little to chance to win, but it would have been nice to play the match on a level playing field rather than lose a guy so early to an act of thuggery. I think Michael Long has largely escaped criticism for what he did.

No ******* way.

Who was that North Bloke who got reported and then got 2 weeks before it was rescinded because he was going the ******* ball? Some dick head umpire wanting to be apart of the story would have sent him off and hurt North for no reason at all.

Then diving will become really prevalent, you better believe campaigners will stay down and do concussions tests if it means someone will be sent off.

If introduced it should only ever be used in clear deliberate, over-the-line actions that have nothing to do with football, and that leave the opposition down a player.
The Hall-Staker punch comes to mind. There is no argument at all for that to ever occur on a football field.
But those kinds of incidents are veryv are.

This is not one of those. We regularly get incidents like this one where the public outcry is immediate and loud - but in reality these are things that happen in a fast paced, high contact, game.
Not to say that Cameron doesnt deserve a lengthy suspension, but I think its very easy to argue that he was going up for the marking contest, realised too late he wasnt gonna get it, and braced himself, very awkwardly, for contact. The fact he took his eyes off the ball is what will hurt him at the tribunal - that bit looks bad. But if he kept his eyes on the ball and the two collided in mid-air, would anyone have a problem with this?
That is how thin and grey these lines are.
Yes he will deserve a (lengthy) supsension - but is there enough to suggest he should be sent off midgame? No.

Yup, agree with all of this. Needs to be for deliberate malicious acts. I simply don't class this one as that. Will probably get 3-4 weeks, but I don't think it's a send off offence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw the incident, it's crude and clumsy and he was trying to make Andrew's earn it but I'm not sure it's this vicious thuggery people speak of. Cameron was trying to stop the key defender drifting in front of him. Will get 3 weeks but that's it. Does that mean Carlisle should be sent off for the hit to Riewoldt? Conversely then Jack Graham or Josh Caddy for their clumsy smothers? Where do you draw a line?

Never EVER want it brought in to AFL

Seriously. When a player intentionally/recklessly takes another player out of the game, a suspension isn't enough.

Jeremy Cameron will get 4 weeks for his hit on Harris Andrews, but that doesn't change the fact that Brisbane are now without their best player for the rest of the game. Red cards work in soccer, why not in footy too?

I'm not suggesting that red cards be thrown out for any incident that causes harm to another player - a dangerous tackle, or an accidental head-high bump shouldn't result in a red card. But when it is as messed up as this incident, surely it is justified?

The hit in question: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-23/andrews-knocked-out-by-crude-hit

Is this some sort of late April Fools joke?

Aren't the flourescent idiots bad enough already without handing them this sort of power?

You can't change the rules in reaction to one incident in one game. A send off worthy offence is rare anyway, its not like football is plagued by violence. Suspend him or burn him alive but the lack of a send off rule is no issue.
Well after Sydney cheated with 19 men in that one game they fixed that quick smart....

Any particular reason why? Your original objection to the idea was that the on field umpire had enough to deal with already (which i agree). Why not use technology to review and punish if needed?

Because there’s enough hold ups in play as it is. Seriously...anyone who thinks red card send offs in an AFL match is a good idea-no matter how it’s adjudicated..is just kidding themselves.

Imagine sending off Dusty for touching the umpire last week in front of 70,000 tiger fans...they would tear the joint apart.

No ******* way.

Who was that North Bloke who got reported and then got 2 weeks before it was rescinded because he was going the ******* ball? Some dick head umpire wanting to be apart of the story would have sent him off and hurt North for no reason at all.

Then diving will become really prevalent, you better believe campaigners will stay down and do concussions tests if it means someone will be sent off.
Traditionally coaches manage it by pulling players if they've done their nana anyway. It's rare but I vaguely recall David Rhy-Jobes being pulled during a Carlton Collingwood game after being reported twice. That's the only reason to take a player out of the game IMO.
If they've lost it and are likely to re-offend.
I have seen Cal Ward frogmarch a 19yo Cam McCarthy off the ground when he saw red. But he just sat out the rest of the QTR and came back on when he'd cooled off.

Because there’s enough hold ups in play as it is. Seriously...anyone who thinks red card send offs in an AFL match is a good idea-no matter how it’s adjudicated..is just kidding themselves.

Imagine sending off Dusty for touching the umpire last week in front of 70,000 tiger fans...they would tear the joint apart.

We are talking about sending a bloke off for a dog hit. Not tiggy touchwood stuff. Nobody is advocating for red card rule like soccer. Dusty would be fine.

Andrews was knocked out cold before he hit the ground from a deliberate elbow to the jaw. It took 5 - 10 minutes to get him off the ground. Ample time for video replay to determine a decision.

It seems silly to bring in a system that would be warranted on a couple of occasions per season. Furthermore, in the head of battle, umpires have poor judgment. Their record when it comes to reports is already spotty - it wouldn't take long before they red card a player only for that player to not receive a suspension. Finally, officiating in the AFL is amateur hour. They would frequently change their interpretation of what constitutes a red car offense from game-to-game, round-to-round and sometimes within games. There is no consistency in the officiating, which means that they cannot be entrusted to adjudicate whether a player should be removed from the contest.

We are talking about sending a bloke off for a dog hit. Not tiggy touchwood stuff. Nobody is advocating for red card rule like soccer. Dusty would be fine.

Andrews was knocked out cold before he hit the ground from a deliberate elbow to the jaw. It took 5 - 10 minutes to get him off the ground. Ample time for video replay to determine a decision.

Boo hoo. Stop sooking. It was a clumsy hard contest at worst. Wasn't a 'dog hit'

I dont think it will be judged intentional, therefore not deliberate. Careless or reckless I expect.

I dont think it will be judged intentional, therefore not deliberate. Careless or reckless I expect.

You're a GWS supporter so I understand you might not get the rules just yet.

When a player completely changes direction, sticks their elbow out and it connects with the opposing players jaw, its intentional - Hope this has been clarified for you :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back