Red Cards in Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Would like to know people's opinions if this incident occurred in the last 5 mins of the last quarter not 5 minutes into the first quarter as it seems the focus for, raising the issue of the red card is timing of the incident, when all that should come into it is the incident itself.

The Cameron incident again highlights the need for a red card system in the AFL.

If player C (or example) takes out an opposition player, knocks him out cold or inflicts a game ending injury (to be defined by the Drs) player C gets red carded (and could be deferred pending the doctors determination the injured player cant continue), ie instantly or quarter time etc.

Player C's team restricted to 17 on the field for the remainder of the game, not just 3 on the bench. This needs to be a very real disincentive for dog acts.

Two instances that spring to my mind, feel free to add more;

Ziebell on Cloke, late tackle broke ribs finished Clokes career
Cameron

This s**t needs to be stopped.

Is the red card like soccer and the offending team is then one short for the whole match while the other team can replace their injured player?

If they can be replaced, I'd be all for it as then bad decisions can be over turned later but both teams are at the same disadvantage for the game. Accidents happen and so do bad decisions so a team fan's shouldn't get that angry if they are simply unluckily reduced to the same number of players.

"Red Card" is absurd....Who will make the call? The Umpires? Think about that for a second. They cannot make decisions now under the rules of the game and you will see Nic Naitanui Red Carded for tackling....There will field invasions by over emotional fans and fighting in the grandstands. The massive over reaction to this incident is astounding. Cameron will be suspended, leave it at that. Why does this game initiate such panic whenever there is an unfortunate incident? If you want the game to become Gaelic Football then remove all body contact, then you can have a Red Card system. Aussie Rules is a body contact sport, a Red card introduction will have players being sent off for frivolous tackles, bumps, arguments etc....Too much margin for error and mistakes will be rife...No to Red cards! The fact that Andrews missed the entire game is an issue easily addressed by introducing an injury sub. If a team loses a player before half time and cannot return to the field due injury, then an injury sub can be used. Yes, i know coaches will exploit this, but make the fines six figures for any breach.

The problem I have with the current suspension system, and the only reason I would think about the red card system, is incidents just like we saw with Cameron and Andrews. It happened so early in the game and left the Lions to play almost the entire match with a depleted bench and minus a key defender.

So, we'll see Cameron cop a heap of games suspension as a result. Okay, that helps all the clubs who will play GWS over the next 4 or so weeks, but what's in it for the Lions and Andrews? Where's their compensation?

However, the moment I entertain the idea of red cards and send-offs, I remind myself that umpires at times cannot adjudicate on an obvious free kick that has just taken place right in front of them. To give umpires the power of sending a player off would cause me concern.

I think all we can do is keep handing out lengthy penalties for extreme cases and hope it does the trick. These things will happen from time to time in footy. A player has a brain fade, does something completely out of character, and then wonders afterwards why he did it.

Red cards in themselves would be a contentious issue. You can't bring the player back on if it's deemed to be a mistake by the umpires after the game.

Is the red card like soccer and the offending team is then one short for the whole match while the other team can replace their injured player?

If they can be replaced, I'd be all for it as then bad decisions can be over turned later but both teams are at the same disadvantage for the game. Accidents happen and so do bad decisions so a team fan's shouldn't get that angry if they are simply unluckily reduced to the same number of players.

Look what the red card has done for soccer. We see players dropping to the ground like they've been shot out of a cannon in the attempt to get key opposition players thrown out of the game. I think Aussie Rules could do without that sort of thing.

Look what the red card has done for soccer. We see players dropping to the ground like they've been shot out of a cannon in the attempt to get key opposition players thrown out of the game. I think Aussie Rules could do without that sort of thing.
The key being that only if the injured player cannot return to the field and is assessed by Doctors. Could be exploited though if a gun player clipped the oppositions worse player so they get him off with "concussion". They'd have to be checks and balances, maybe they don't play the following week minimum and are also assessed by an AFL doctor during finals.

I recon we're a long way from being compared to soccer, although without crack downs on staging we're having this year we were on our way. Soccer introducing the VAR system will also stop the staging (a little...)

Thanks for the debate guys. We're a long way from soccer where staging is a blight on the game, most of that staging is for penalties (free kicks) which isn't at issue here. Originally my thinking was send off the culprit (ie Cameron) as a penalty to his team, ie down to 17 on the field for the remainder of the game. Might be too harsh. At the very least though they are to play no further part in the game, reducing the "advantage" which has accrued to the culprits team.

Whats to stop a team going completely going balls-out-nut-case in a grand final and KO'ing 2, 3 or even 4 of the oppositions best players, sure theyd have one or a bunch of players reported but they'd still have 22 fit players.

It feels (the vibe) like the team that's been infringed on (ie Brisbane this week) is disadvantaged to the profit of the culprits team. There needs to be some way to eliminate this advantage and a red card system, however its introduced, would eliminate any advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont understand why if you get a multi game ban like Cameron why the last game of the suspension can't be saved until you play the team you did the dirty too, maybe its later in the season maybe its Next Season.

I'm just concerned by how irrational your thought process must have been to come to the conclusion he was only trying to spoil :oops:
That's impressive. You know someone who can determine what's irrational, and they're willing to to assist you
:thumbsu:

Last edited:
I dont understand why if you get a multi game ban like Cameron why the last game of the suspension can't be saved until you play the team you did the dirty too, maybe its later in the season maybe its Next Season.

Would you be happy if a player who e.g. gets two weeks for a mild sling tackle serves one week, then has to sit out a GF, perhaps months later?

when will the AFL implement this rule? No red card/ yellow card system required!!!

20. ORDER OFF LAW

20.1 APPLICATION

This Law 20 applies to all competitions other than the AFL competition.

20.2 ORDER OFF FOR REMAINDER OF MATCH

In addition to being reported, a field or emergency field Umpire shall order the Player reported from the Playing Surface for the remainder of a Match if the Player is reported for any of the following Reportable Offences:

(a) intentionally or carelessly making contact with or striking an Umpire;

(b) attempting to make contact with or strike an Umpire;

(c) using abusive, insulting, threatening or obscene language towards or in relation to an Umpire; behaving in an abusive, insulting, threatening or obscene manner towards or in relation to an Umpire;

(e) intentionally or carelessly kicking another person;

(f) an act of misconduct if the Umpire is of the opinion that the act constituting misconduct is serious in nature.

A Controlling Body may specify other Reportable Offences or conduct for which a Player may be ordered from the Playing Surface for the remainder of the Match.

20.3 OTHER REPORTABLE OFFENCES

A Player reported on a second occasion by an Umpire for the same or any other Reportable Offence other than those listed in Law 20.2, shall, in addition to being reported, be ordered from the Playing Surface for the remainder of the Match.

20.4 REPLACING PLAYER

A Controlling Body may determine a period of time which must elapse before a Player ordered from the Playing Surface under Laws 20.2 or 20.3 can be replaced by another Player. In the absence of a determination by a Controlling Body, a Player ordered from the Playing Surface under this Law shall not be replaced by another Player.

20.5 ORDER OFF FOR SPECIFIED PERIOD

In addition to being reported on the first occasion for committing a Reportable Offence, other than those listed in Law 20.2, a Controlling Body may determine that a Player be ordered from the Playing Surface for such period as it in its absolute discretion deems fit.

Not neccessary. Gaffs actions are rare and he and his team will pay the price.

Sick to death of people demanding rule changes every time something happens.

Absolutely, just implement rule 20 and I am not sure under the rules it would be classified as a send off offence.

The send off is also in both rugby codes, ice hockey (very rare), football as you said, basketball etc. Australian Football League football can and will survive should it be introduced. I believe it is present in Victorian Football League football as well.

Will it happen? Will it be good for hte game? Dunno.

I heard one suggestion and that was if it comes in and player X is sent off, the offending team is allowed to replace him so that it's 18 v 18 at all times. It'll just be 3 on the bench.

The send off is also in both rugby codes, ice hockey (very rare), football as you said, basketball etc. Australian Football League football can and will survive should it be introduced. I believe it is present in Victorian Football League football as well.

Will it happen? Will it be good for hte game? Dunno.

I heard one suggestion and that was if it comes in and player X is sent off, the offending team is allowed to replace him so that it's 18 v 18 at all times. It'll just be 3 on the bench.

This is the million dollar question. Will it be good for the game? I feel that too many changes take place in football as knee jerk reactions as a result of one incident. I doubt they'd even be discussing send offs if the Gaff incident never occurred.

And when these "knee jerk" reactions are implemented, they often lead to problems that are more far reaching than the problem they were brought in to solve.

I would think for a player to sent off, it would be for a serious incident, often resulting in a player being taken to hospital, or at very least, not able to take the field for the remainder of the match. So, is it a big enough penalty for the offending team to be down to a bench of 3, when the other team is as well?

My initial objection was if it were left to the umpires to decide if a player should be sent off. I would be more at ease if the incident was reviewed by an independent panel off the ground, subject to firm and inflexible guidelines, and then relay a message to an officiating umpire to remove the player. I would then also prefer that independent panel to be responsible for the number of games the player will serve as suspension.

I think nothing would be cruddier than a player being sent off and then being cleared by the MRP afterwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back