Red Cards in Footy

Big_Birdy

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
The game isn't being over run by thuggery so I don't think it's required but if it were to be brought in, I think the following stipulations must apply:

Must be given by a video referee (like they can be in soccer). Umpires on the filed don't give them.
Can only be given for acts which are not attempts to carry out a legal action e.g. cannot be given for poorly laid tackles, bumps or spoils.

Examples of red card offences - Gaff hit, Lewis hit (2017), Bugg hit (2017)

Non red card offences - Nic Nat Tackle, any of the number of head high bumps that got weeks.

Basically would mean red cards are given for off the play punches to the head in the majority. I'm fine with that.

Last edited:

Baird

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Anyone who is against a red card rule is very stupid

The game isn't being over run by thuggery so I don't think it's required but if it were to be brought in, I think the following stipulations must apply:

Must be given by a video referee (like they can be in soccer). Umpires on the filed don't give them.
Can only be given for acts which are not attempts to carry out a legal action e.g. cannot be given for poorly laid tackles, bumps or spoils.

Examples of red card offences - Gaff hit, Lewis hit (2017), Bugg hit (2017)

Non red card offences - Nic Nat Tackle, any of the number of head high bumps that got weeks.

Basically would mean red cards are given for off the play punches to the head in the majority. I'm fine with that.
What is the Lewis hit?

Elbowing a guy in the head causing his brain to bleed is "in play" and doesn't warrant a red card?

How can people actually believe this?

It's a mentality left over from the 80s. The world has moved on from a spectator point of view and a legal one.

Many don't appreciate directors are now criminally liable for deaths in the work place. Could you imagine the board of the AFL standing in the dock and the judge says after a death in the work place "do you believe you took reasonable steps to avoid death in the work place?" if a player was not removed from the field after an incident like you describe.

LOL.........imagine doing 12 years gaol time because one let a dickhead stay on the park after an incident or even a judge determines by not having a red card system is perceived as condoning or promoting an unsafe work environment.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It's a mentality left over from the 80s. The world has moved on from a spectator point of view and a legal one.

Many don't appreciate directors are now criminally liable for deaths in the work place. Could you imagine the board of the AFL standing in the dock and the judge says after a death in the work place "do you believe you took reasonable steps to avoid death in the work place?" if a player was not removed from the field after an incident like you describe.

LOL.........imagine doing 12 years gaol time because one let a dickhead stay on the park after an incident or even a judge determines by not having a red card system is perceived as condoning or promoting an unsafe work environment.

This is some craziest s**t I've ever read.

Back