Redbacks 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Cooper's technique has gotten lazier and lazier and while it's helped him in the shorter forms I'm not sure he should open.
He's the logical player if you want to keep Nielson in the side and have Carey keep

Would Neilsen’s technique stand up at the top of the order?

Watching his highlights when he made his ton he reminded me a little of Chris Rogers, did anyone else think that?

Dalton dropped, Connor McInerney to debut.

Good call. They've given Dalton every chance and he looks like he'll be a player but needs a break now. McInerney has had a good few seasons.

Wears glasses when he bats like Dirk Welham!

Think it's fair enough that he plays ahead of Kelvin Smith who looked in awful touch in his one game.

Richardson still in the 12. Do we go with 4 quicks down in Tassie?

Dalton dropped, Connor McInerney to debut.

Good call. They've given Dalton every chance and he looks like he'll be a player but needs a break now. McInerney has had a good few seasons.

Wears glasses when he bats like Dirk Welham!

Think it's fair enough that he plays ahead of Kelvin Smith who looked in awful touch in his one game.

Richardson still in the 12. Do we go with 4 quicks down in Tassie?

Where did you find the squad?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unbelievable how bad the culture is at the red hacks. Any other state would make our list world beaters.

Mate, having grown up in the Les Favell, Chappell brothers era, our state team was the best in Australia, and in 1970-71 when we had Barry Richards it was arguably the best Shield team of all time.

We won our most recent Shield in 1995-96 and since that time we have won the wooden spoon 10 times in 21 seasons. Win it again this season, and that means we have finished last 50% of the time over the past 22 seasons.

Worse than that, we have finished 4th-6th in 16 of the 21 seasons. Next worse is Tasmania with 13, but Tassie have managed 3 Shields in that period as well. We are miserable in comparison with the other 5 states and contributing nothing to the Australian team.

Here's a breakdown from 1996-97 to 2016-17:

First:
Vic 6
Qld 6
NSW 4
Tas 3
WA 2
SA 0

Second:
Qld 7
Vic 4
WA 3
Tas 3
NSW 2
SA 2

Third:
WA 5
NSW 5
Vic 4
SA 3
Qld 2
Tas 2

Fourth:
Qld 4
Tas 4
SA 4
WA 4
NSW 3
Vic 2

Fifth:
WA 7
Tas 5
Vic 4
NSW 2
SA 2
Qld 1

Sixth:
SA 10
NSW 5
Tas 4
Vic 1
Qld 1
WA 0

Totally pathetic I think you will agree. NSW have finished bottom 5 times, but in view of the fact they've won 4, and supplied a nucleus of players to the Australian team, they can be forgiven.

Now, let's have a look at the current team's batting:
Opening batsman Dalton, recently dropped from the team, 312 runs @ 19.50, only two 50s
Skipper Travis Head - take out the one match where he sored 132 & 65 against Queensland, he's made 318 runs in 11 innings @ 28.9
Opener Weatherald - since his 152 & 143 in round 3 against WA, he's totalled 260 in 11 innings @ 23.63
Ferguson has made most of his runs in the 2nd Innings, the 1st Innings totals are 0, 4, 33, 0, 45, 1, 19, 51 ... average 19.12
Lehmann - since his 103 & 93 against the Vics in round 2, he's totalled 312 runs in 12 completed innings @ 26
Cooper - take out his 105* against NSW, he's made 233 runs in 13 completed innings @ 17.92
Carey - has the ability, but take out his 139 and 98, his other completed 8 innings have realised 170 runs @ 21.25

This isn't poor, it's pathetic.
So we won a piddling T20 competition ... who gives a s**t? It really is time we took a long hard look at the structure of cricket in SA, and started producing international cricketers like we used to do.

Last edited:
F***ing chokebacks, there has been ZERO improvement this season, clearly gone backwards after making the final the past two seasons.

If I had to give them a grade for this season it will be a big fat ZERO, anyone who thinks this season has been a success is delusional :devil:

Personally I'd be moving on Ferguson and Cooper at the end of the season. If that means we have to recruit a batsman from interstate so be it.

Not sure if we can afford to move on any half decent batsmen. We have bowling depth though. At least for seam bowlers.

Personally I'd be moving on Ferguson and Cooper at the end of the season. If that means we have to recruit a batsman from interstate so be it.
Dan Christian :p.

Could this be the end for him?
He's managed to climb off the canvas before quite a few times. Has a knack of getting runs when he's on his last chance or when he is going to be dropped Head gets called up for Australia/Ferguson gets injured.

Ultimately has played around 100 first class games and averages 32. We really need to push our next batter through even though Cooper is a solid player.

Could this be the end for him?

The problem with Cooper is his best format is 50 over cricket and it seems like every Matador Cup he gets a go as Travis Head is carrying the drinks in India. He performs well in it and then finds himself in the Shield squad come first game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back