State Redbacks

Remove this Banner Ad

It just shows more than anything just how threadbare Grade cricket is right now, a double against a seriously ordinary Port attack (Best is a good talent but he's still just 17ish). And yet put him against a First Class attack and its the same old story, gets a touch bogged down and then gets himself out trying to hit himself out of trouble

It just shows more than anything just how threadbare Grade cricket is right now, a double against a seriously ordinary Port attack (Best is a good talent but he's still just 17ish). And yet put him against a First Class attack and its the same old story, gets a touch bogged down and then gets himself out trying to hit himself out of trouble

There were centuries by the bucket full last weekend. Attacks aren't concentrated enough with 1, and in some cases 2 decent bowlers. All batsmen have to do is see them off and then help themselves to veritable nets bowlers. An attempt was made several years ago to form a super league consisting of 6 teams which would have made the attacks a lot stronger, but as usual the SACA did nothing. They still have an uneven number of teams meaning each team has a bye ..... sitting around for 2 weeks doing nothing really helps ..... and one of those teams has no junior programme. If that's good for cricket then I'm a poor judge.

I think they did try to get a few teams to merge but none of them were interested.

The decks are all absolute roads too which doesn’t help.

I think they did try to get a few teams to merge but none of them were interested.

The decks are all absolute roads too which doesn’t help.

I know that Sturt and Glenelg were actively engaged in talks, but nobody else was the least bit interested. SACA needs to make some hard calls, but they don't, and that is why in the 23 years since our last Shield victory in 1995-96, we have been wooden spooners 12 times, finished 5th twice, 4th four times, third 3 times, and second twice. That's only 5 times out of 23 we've finished in the top 3. Pathetic. CA should be stepping in and making some of the hard calls for them, in the interests of Australian cricket.

Alex Gregory doing pretty well over here for Melbourne Uni. 585 runs in Grade Cricket over the 2 years at 45, 27 wickets at 20 in the two longer formats.

Siddons must really start to feel the heat now. Apparently morale in the group is pretty low and he isn't well liked by the players.

I'm led to believe Gillespie is more than a decent chance of being the next head coach. Was told he has a clause in his contract with Sussex about being able to exit if opportunities become available in Australia.

SACA didn't allow Weatherald wasn't to play club cricket in England in winter, and this was the source of some bad blood between him and the SACA.

Lots of players at the cross roads. Huge clean out needed. Interesting times ahead.

Siddons must really start to feel the heat now. Apparently morale in the group is pretty low and he isn't well liked by the players.

I'm led to believe Gillespie is more than a decent chance of being the next head coach. Was told he has a clause in his contract with Sussex about being able to exit if opportunities become available in Australia.

SACA didn't allow Weatherald wasn't to play club cricket in England in winter, and this was the source of some bad blood between him and the SACA.

Lots of players at the cross roads. Huge clean out needed. Interesting times ahead.
Been like this for probably 2 years maybe even more. How Siddons is there this year is beyond me. But wholeheartedly agree with everything you’ve said. There are definitely rumblings of disgruntlement.

SA really should’ve won a Shield within the past 4 years with the good quality our squad has had, someone needs to be made accountable for these failures, probably best that the useless $ACA board should leave ASAP. They probably don’t even care about the Shield as long as AO has good crowds for the bbl & internationals. Makes me glad I am not a member of that stupid organisation, they don’t deserve a cent from me!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been like this for probably 2 years maybe even more. How Siddons is there this year is beyond me. But wholeheartedly agree with everything you’ve said. There are definitely rumblings of disgruntlement.

Siddons is a different kind of cat, that's for sure. When I was involved in Grade Cricket, many years ago, Siddons was playing with Kensington, I'm pretty sure he was captain. When we broke for lunch, rather than sit with his team mates at their table, he came over and sat with us. I don't know the guy very well, but I thought that was a but strange.

Gillespie would be a great choice if we could get him. He's a real credit to himself. I recall when he came into grade cricket he wasn't what you would call the smartest cricketer going around, but his capacity to learn and improve on his game was immense.

If Gillespie was available then why the hell hasn't it happened already? Him thinking he was a good chance for the England job is the only reason I'd imagine.

What to do about the batting...?

Weatherald seems to have forgotten how to play

Early days for Hunt. Persist?

McInerney injured. Dalton seemingly out of favour. Kelvin Smith gone. Other opening options?
Brad Davis perhaps. Will Bosisto?

Suddenly Cooper our most in form player!

Ferguson and Lehmann at the crossroads.

Liam Scott has timed his arrival well.

What to do about the batting...?

Weatherald seems to have forgotten how to play

Early days for Hunt. Persist?

McInerney injured. Dalton seemingly out of favour. Kelvin Smith gone. Other opening options?
Brad Davis perhaps. Will Bosisto?

Suddenly Cooper our most in form player!

Ferguson and Lehmann at the crossroads.

Liam Scott has timed his arrival well.
Lehmann out LBW for 16 today in the second XI. Bosisto 46* along with 2/28

Did Bosisto bowl much in WA, he opened the bowling in grade cricket here a few weeks ago but he is an offie?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back