State Redbacks

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s going wrong at the start of the year you would say they are stronger than NSW and Tasmania on paper. (Only when Warner Smith Cummins Starc and Hazelwood are with the national side and Carey and Head weren’t)

What’s going wrong at the start of the year you would say they are stronger than NSW and Tasmania on paper. (Only when Warner Smith Cummins Starc and Hazelwood are with the national side and Carey and Head weren’t)

I think losing is just so deeply ingrained in the culture that they don’t know any different. Some reasonable talents on paper - Head, Carey, Weatherald, Hunt, Worrall.
McAndrew and Carder have been decent recruits.
Have Often felt with the Redbacks there is one decent performance by a batter or bowler per innings. Means end of seasons stats look reasonable but few or no wins. The sum is less than the parts.

We're at the end of the Sayers/Mennie/Worrall plus Ferguson/Cooper era. Been solid Shield competitors either finished now or finishing.

Add that Weatherald and Lehmann have lost their way. 2-3 years ago you'd be forgiven for thinking they'd be dominant players now.

Haven't had much talent come through lately. Cupboard feels pretty bare. Back to the days of recruiting interstate fringe players and hoping they do a Michael Klinger.

System not working. I don't know how anyone in a position of importance within the structure could justify themselves continuing to be honest.

Doggett Worral and McAndrew is a solid pace attack. Carder, Hunt, Head and Carey is the foundation of a very solid top 6. On paper you look good

Hunt, Carey- Head
Those two will be lost to Test cricket.. one this year the other probably in a year or two. You may get your skipper back permanently as he will be given two Tests to cement his place otherwise it is sayonara. I reckon McSweeney and Carder will be long term Redbacks, Drew looks ok while SACA has a couple of emerging young guns on its books.

Last edited:
Those two will be lost to Test cricket.. one this year the other probably in a year or two. Head will be given two Tests to prove he belongs then it is sayonara. I think McSweeney will be a long term Redback and SACA has a couple of emerging young guns.
Most of the shield is played outside of the test season so if you don’t play white ball you play a lot for your state

SA need to give Mcsweeney a clear role in both the 50 over and Shield sides and leave him there. Massive talent. Will absolutely thrive once he isn't getting moved in and out of sides

Four of today's grade games were won hours prior to the scheduled finish, one before 3pm, and they called the games off and went to the pub. No thought whatsoever to giving players badly needed centre wicket practice. One of the many reasons the Redbacks are garbage.
Bigger problem is that the losing teams are such garbage they lose comprehensively hours before the game is meant to be over

Needs to be three mergers asap. Get rid of six poor clubs, create three strong clubs.

Bigger problem is that the losing teams are such garbage they lose comprehensively hours before the game is meant to be over

Needs to be three mergers asap. Get rid of six poor clubs, create three strong clubs.

Oh, I agree. But in the interim, any time spent in the middle would be far more beneficial than having players showered and drinking beer at 3pm.

The Redbacks have been Jellybacks for too many seasons.

I cannot believe there is a limited supply of talent in the State.

Personally I believe the pitches autobahns served up at the AO and the Karen Roadie Oval are partly to blame. I do not know if the pitches served up at Premier/District level are as bad.

My advice to any talented bowler is to get the hell out of there. Harris had to move to Qld to get to bowl on wickets that gave him a shot. Dizzy remains the last premium quick they produced who stayed in the State.

Playing on roads does nothing for the techniques of batsmen.

IMO the SACA could usefully have a hard headed review of pitch preparation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Redbacks have been Jellybacks for too many seasons.

I cannot believe there is a limited supply of talent in the State.

Personally I believe the pitches autobahns served up at the AO and the Karen Roadie Oval are partly to blame. I do not know if the pitches served up at Premier/District level are as bad.

My advice to any talented bowler is to get the hell out of there. Harris had to move to Qld to get to bowl on wickets that gave him a shot. Dizzy remains the last premium quick they produced who stayed in the State.

Playing on roads does nothing for the techniques of batsmen.

IMO the SACA could usefully have a hard headed review of pitch preparation.

Hard to argue with any of that. I am fairly sure the SACA manage the preparation all district A grade pitches?

That's not true. In 2007-08, Ryan Harris had a great year for the Redbacks, 37 wickets @ 29.86. Redbacks screwed up by offering him only a 1 year contract whereas Queensland offered him 3 years. Prior to his breakthrough season, he had to wait in line behind Gillespie, Tait and Rofe who were taking plenty of wickets.

That's not true. In 2007-08, Ryan Harris had a great year for the Redbacks, 37 wickets @ 29.86. Redbacks screwed up by offering him only a 1 year contract whereas Queensland offered him 3 years. Prior to his breakthrough season, he had to wait in line behind Gillespie, Tait and Rofe who were taking plenty of wickets.

That was around the time he had started to get properly quick too, anyone could see Harris was a seriously improved cricketer but SACA in their infinite wisdom decided he wasn't worthy of anything more than the bare minimum contract.

So incredibly dumb to not properly try to keep him, even by South Australian cricket standards

That was around the time he had started to get properly quick too, anyone could see Harris was a seriously improved cricketer but SACA in their infinite wisdom decided he wasn't worthy of anything more than the bare minimum contract.

So incredibly dumb to not properly try to keep him, even by South Australian cricket standards

Yes, I first saw Harris as a 17 year old in grade cricket. I was very impressed by his stamina and natural ability, but he was marginally above medium fast and I could never have imagined he'd one day take the new ball for Australia.

As you said, his pace increased markedly, and in that 2007-08 season you knew he was a serious prospect for higher honours. Why SACA couldn't appreciate that is anyone's guess. He's a great example to any young bowler what can be achieved if you work hard enough.

According to Cricinfo, there only appears to be 6 more scheduled matches before a final on 31 March. Redbacks have only 1 of those matches, so seeing as we are languishing once more at the foot of the table, it appears we have another wooden spoon for the cabinet, our fifth in succession, and our 10th in the past 13 seasons.

I have felt as though there have been signs of improvement of this season, Hunt's coming along nicely, Weatherald regaining form after a slow start and Head was a solid performer as well. Carder started well but has tapered off, and I'm not sure what has happened to Carey's batting, only 44 runs in his past 7 innings. Carey needs batting touch, not only for SA, but to retain his spot in the Test team.

Drew finally got his chance, should have been selected much earlier, and celebrated with a 130 against Victoria. Tom Kelly's two previous grade innings have been 211 not out and last week made 99 against perhaps the best attack in grade cricket comprising Grant, Worrall, Opie and Pope. You'd like to think he would get a look in soon.

Bowling is average with McAndrew and Grant being the best performed. Doggett's done okay with his limited opportunities but Pope is still struggling to make an impression at 1st class level.

Last edited:
According to Cricinfo, there only appears to be 6 more scheduled matches before a final on 31 March. Redbacks have only 1 of those matches, so seeing as we are languishing once more at the foot of the table, it appears we have another wooden spoon for the cabinet, our fifth in succession, and our 10th in the past 13 seasons.

I have felt as though there have been signs of improvement of this season, Hunt's coming along nicely, Weatherald regaining form after a slow start and Head was a solid performer as well. Carder started well but has tapered off, and I'm not sure what has happened to Carey's batting, only 44 runs in his past 7 innings. Carey needs batting touch, not only for SA, but to retain his sport in the Test team.

Drew finally got his chance, should have been selected much earlier, and celebrated with a 130 against Victoria. Tom Kelly's two previous grade innings have been 211 not out and last week made 99 against perhaps the best attack in grade cricket comprising Grant, Worrall, Opie and Pope. You'd like to think he would get a look in soon.

Bowling is average with McAndrew and Grant being the best performed. Doggett's done okay with his limited opportunities but Pope is still struggling to make an impression at 1st class level.
I read somewhere that Steketee may have a side strain which means Doggett may be a chance to go to Pakistan? That leaves the bowling very thin if that's the case. I just looked up Kelly's stats and he also made 98 the week before the 211* so he's in good touch and should definitely be looked at. Since the BBL he's made 98, 211* and 99 so it would be interesting to see if the Redbacks actually reward a local talent or keep picking their interstate recruits to justify to themselves why they recruited them??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back