State Redbacks

Remove this Banner Ad

Also From 2023/24 SACA has decided on a 6 team Div 1 and the remainder into Div 2. Bit of a shakeup for Premier cricket but we’ll overdue
I really like this idea and I don't believe it will kill off cricket.

Relegation and promotion should help the quality.

It's the best call SACS has made in a while

This is how I would go

Hunt
Weatherald
Carder or McSweeny
Head
Drew
Lehmann
Carey
McAndrew
Manenti
Grant
Conway

Drew and Lehmann finished the shield year real strong so should get the nod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is how I would go

Hunt
Weatherald
Carder or McSweeny
Head
Drew
Lehmann
Carey
McAndrew
Manenti
Grant
Conway

Drew and Lehmann finished the shield year real strong so should get the nod

I'd have serious doubts that attack could get 20 wickets. McAndrew is capable enough to bat 7 so I'd play the extra bowler.

I'd have serious doubts that attack could get 20 wickets. McAndrew is capable enough to bat 7 so I'd play the extra bowler.

In that case I’d put head 3 and everyone moves up one.

In that case I’d put head 3 and everyone moves up one.

I'd drop Lehmann and play whoever the fastest bowler in the squad is.

Drew must be injured. Ahead of McSweeny and Carder based on form and being local

Yep Drew made a century and another score in his matches. I can’t speak for everyone but I don’t want our squad to be full of players from other systems. Locals first when two players are equal

A glimmer of hope with the top 4 Vic batsmen out with only 54 on the board, then the same old Redback took over. Another long year with another possible wooden spoon coming up. With Carey, and probably Head on international duties, there's not a lot to pin our hopes on. Redback batting is pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When will Gillespie start to feel some heat from the media for our continued failures? Been there long enough now and its the same old Redbacks....

Or is he immune under the 'good bloke' rule?

Yep Drew made a century and another score in his matches. I can’t speak for everyone but I don’t want our squad to be full of players from other systems. Locals first when two players are equal

At the risk of sounding narcissistic, my 22 year old cousin plays for a Grade Club and dominated Grade cricket 2 seasons ago with both bat and ball. He had a rookie contract with the redbacks squad and should have been in line to be picked in the shield squad with his grade performances.

He had a meeting with Tim Neilson at the time as he was getting no feedback and wasn't even getting close to be picked. Nielson told him bluntly that the selection committee were going in a different direction (he assumed this meant recruiting guys from interstate) & that he would not be considered for selection.

He subsequently lost his rookie contract last year.

At the risk of sounding narcissistic, my 22 year old cousin plays for a Grade Club and dominated Grade cricket 2 seasons ago with both bat and ball. He had a rookie contract with the redbacks squad and should have been in line to be picked in the shield squad with his grade performances.

He had a meeting with Tim Neilson at the time as he was getting no feedback and wasn't even getting close to be picked. Nielson told him bluntly that the selection committee were going in a different direction (he assumed this meant recruiting guys from interstate) & that he would not be considered for selection.

He subsequently lost his rookie contract last year.
The only direction they've been heading for a long time now is South!!!

Not sure how I feel about the two division model for grade cricket going forward. I like what they have done this year, with all games being two-day games with only a smattering of limited overs cricket slotted in on sundays and weeknights. I’d be happy to keep this formula, and then slowly but surely reduce the teams. I know this has been beat to death, but we can reduce team numbers over time. It just has to be done. What is going to happen to Redbacks hopefuls playing division 2 next year? Are runs given the same weight in selection discussion? If we can keep the format as is, and then reduce number of teams, that would be the most ideal outcome in increasing the standard of cricket.

Not sure how I feel about the two division model for grade cricket going forward. I like what they have done this year, with all games being two-day games with only a smattering of limited overs cricket slotted in on sundays and weeknights. I’d be happy to keep this formula, and then slowly but surely reduce the teams. I know this has been beat to death, but we can reduce team numbers over time. It just has to be done. What is going to happen to Redbacks hopefuls playing division 2 next year? Are runs given the same weight in selection discussion? If we can keep the format as is, and then reduce number of teams, that would be the most ideal outcome in increasing the standard of cricket.
Agree 100%

In the words of Mike Ehrmantraut, we're taking a half measure

I am not sure that the number of grade teams has as much of an impact on the Redbacks performance as Teflon Tim and his mates would have you believe.

A lot of state contracted players - particularly bowlers - barely play grade cricket anymore. Grade performances also don’t have a whole let of weight in terms of who gets a contract or who gets retained - they pick from the pathways system and from interstate. In fact, Saca ignoring grade cricket performances has actually weakened grade cricket as it has seen experienced players leaving the game far earlier than they used to.

Last edited:
This is the problem we have in grade cricket in Adelaide. I call it the "Jake Lehmann Syndrome". We drop players back through lack of form and they immediately carve out a big 100 to put pressure on selectors to pick them again because nobody else is making runs. Last weekend, Jake Carder, who couldn't buy a run at shield level, gets dropped to make way for Drew, and etches out 158. I'd hate to be a Redbacks selector.

Is Travis Hrad batting himself out of the first test or does he have enough credits in the bank??

He’s had a pretty average start to the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back