Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
I hear not many want to join

It's only been a week.
If you say so.

They'd want to land a bigger name than Kaufusi if they want to capture the non-Broncos league fans in Brisbane.

I understand your negativity, but as I said, it's only been a week. Landing an SoO and Premiership player is a very good start.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I understand your negativity, but as I said, it's only been a week. Landing an SoO and Premiership player is a very good start.
Maybe we have very different ideas of what a "very good player" looks like. I remember the Titans' first signing was a 27 year old former Dally M Medallist and Premiership winner named Preston Campbell. That is a signing worthy of the marquee tag IMO. Plenty of players have played Origin and/or won a Premiership - not that many players have won the Dally M Medal.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Maybe we have very different ideas of what a "very good player" looks like.

I think I've got a pretty fair idea of what is and isn't a decent player.

I remember the Titans' first signing was a 27 year old former Dally M Medallist and Premiership winner named Preston Campbell. That is a signing worthy of the marquee tag IMO. Plenty of players have played Origin and/or won a Premiership - not that many players have won the Dally M Medal.

Well, given they've only just been announced as the expansion club I think there's plenty of time to still sign your type of marquee player. I would think the influence of one of Queensland's all-time great Rugby league people will reap plenty of benefits.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Props and Second Rowers in the NRL aren't the sexiest of signings, but in Kaufusi, Bromwich and Nicholls, the first two especially, picking up rock solid reliable players will go a long way to making them competitive.

There was word around Munster, Ponga and Reece Walsh too. They obviously can't target all 3, but you confirm one of them and I think they're building a talented starting lineup.

I hope The Dolphins become the largest sporting club in Queensland.
Aren't they already the largest sporting club in Queensland?

Don't they have something like $100m in assets across the Sunshine Coast and Northern Brisbane.

Feb 16, 2022
Logan
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Aren't they already the largest sporting club in Queensland?

Don't they have something like $100m in assets across the Sunshine Coast and Northern Brisbane.
They have about $100m in assets in Kippa-Ring, which is a suburb of Moreton Bay. I'd love to see them develop a huge fanbase across Moreton Bay, northern suburbs of Brisbane and up into Sunshine Coast.

"The Dolphins Group have a very strong balance sheet that includes a successful 40,000+ member Leagues Club, Shopping Centre Precinct, Fitness & Aquatic Centre, Leased Office space and a 10,000 seated Boutique stadium all located on a 11-hectare site owned by the Dolphins. A-League Soccer team the Brisbane Roar for the 2021 season moved permanently to have Moreton Daily Stadium as their Home Stadium. These businesses and set up provide great diversity of income for the Dolphins."

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022
Logan
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That's pretty awesome for a new team. They won't struggle for fans or a foothold, which is 100x better than having to baby new teams that don't go anywhere for ages.
It'll be interesting to see how they rate on TV. Brisbane Broncos, Melbourne Storm and North Queensland Cowboys are among the top six most watched teams on FTA and Foxtel. Gold Coast Titans are dead last.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Apologies for a huge wall of text, and laboring on this.....reposting from reddit and LU....

If The Dolphins plan on re-basing in the Sunshine Coast, I propose renaming to Maroochydore Dolphins.

If The Dolphins plan on staying in Moreton Bay, then they should just embrace the Redcliffe name. Or Moreton Bay as second preference.

If the Falcons enter the NRL, I'd also propose Maroochydore. Sunshine Coast second preference. They'd use Sunshine Coast, and that's fine, just I'd propose Maroochydore. Why am I so hung up about the name Maroochydore?

Maroochydore has a nice ring to it. It's a famous/well-known unique name. A big plus to have for a sports team trying to stake a presence. Better than a bland generic compass-point name like East Coast or North Brisbane or Sun State, and far better than a "The".

That whole thought process that having a specific place name detriments achieving an expanded fan base is false. Meanwhile, riding the fence as neither Redcliffe/Moreton Bay, nor as Sunshine Coast, puts them in a worse position. Lacking identity. Identity = character.

Identifying with neither Redcliffe nor SC whilst trying to represent both is problematic. They're representing SC because they are engaging in corporate and grassroots alliances with SC. Trying to catch the region as part of their fanbase, as they have a confined position in MB. Everyone in SEQ knows the Redcliffe Dolphins from the QLD Cup/BRL. Many didn't follow that club then. Same kind of problem Port Adelaide Magpies had when entering the AFL. At the same time, they're kind of distancing themselves from Redcliffe by doing so. Port Power went back to Port Adelaide, re-identified, solidified, grew.

If they're so keen on expanding their fanbase north, then re-base the NRL club to the Sunshine Coast and own that fast growing region. Otherwise, don't be fearful, embrace their historical identity and locale of Redcliffe.

If they continued for years trying to be for both without a name, one day the Falcons will have an NRL team, and their SC market share will disappear anyway. Back to Redcliffe, whom they tried to distance from in ways. Better to just be Redcliffe from the outset. Being called "The" doesn't fool anyone, nor make a difference in itself versus being called Redcliffe when it comes to having a presence in SC, expanding their fanbase with alliances, school and mall meet and greets, interaction with junior teams, their supporter gear heavily placed in SC stores. Named "The" or Redcliffe won't affect the numbers or perception.

Meanwhile...I'm also philosophizing about the whole "what makes a good name" topic. Clubs often over-think it with those bland generic names which often create confusion instead. West Coast Eagles, West Harbor Pirates, Western Bulldogs, Wests Tigers. Instead, names like Essendon, Bondi, Arsenal, Redcliffe, Miami, San Francisco, Collingwood, St George, are specific place names that are unique nationally/internationally, make for a perfect name to have, and have strong identities that non-region fans attach to despite that. The Dragons, Magpies, Bombers, and NFL teams like Steelers, Cowboys, Raiders....they all have a huge nationwide following despite having specific place names, some of which are merely a suburb. Realize then that Redcliffe is actually a similarly good unique name. Their fanbase will grow over time more due to on field success and having iconic elements like jersey, colors, nickname. When today's kids have kids of their own, that will also mean water under the bridge in terms of how the club is now perceived. Now a direct Brisbane-based NRL rival to the Broncos to choose over.

When I lived in the US, places like Bondi, Maroochydore, Coolangatta, Wollongong were more well-known than even capital city names. Same how in Australia names like Chicago and Miami are well-known and romanticized about. All those indigenous names (Native American or Australian Aborigine) have that iconic element to them. Even English names can be unique, like Arsenal, Redcliffe, Essendon. The Roosters should've renamed to Bondi Roosters for the mere popularity/fame of that name. Reckon they would've attracted more fans than a bland Sydney. A name being specific to a suburb or town isn't a reason why it doesn't attract fans outside it. Clubs mistakenly think it does or would.

Sure, fan bases are mostly derived by region. But what makes The Dolphins fan growth difficult is that an old well-known state club (Dolphins) are being plonked into a 100 year old national comp, and in a region where there is already competition from existing clubs like the Broncos and Titans. SEQ already knows the Redcliffe Dolphins, have biases against both the town and the football club. Like Port Adelaide Magpies. Imagine if a hated Glebe FC was promoted to the NRL, plonked into a Sydney market with many rival fanbases. It's not that bad for The Dolphins, but it's a parallel. I often hear people worry about The Dolphins being likened to Cronulla in terms of region, population, limited growth, tho strong in juniors. Due to the dynamics of geography.

My ideal NRL expansion is that Ipswich/Logan and SC get the next two licenses. For many reasons I wont go into now. But that is a good split up of regions -- Broncos (central), Dolphins (north east), Jets/Tigers (west/south west), Titans (south), Falcons (north). That would also make it very difficult for all those clubs. Market share. An alternative would be Dolphins re-basing in SC, naming themselves SC or Maroochydore. claiming the region, investing in a stadium and HQs there full-time, as a way to not be bound to that geography of Moreton Bay/Redcliffe, especially if/when another Brisbane-based team enters next.

Back