Teams Dolphins

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
From League Unlimited....

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo also defended the decision which he indicated the governing body was involved in making.

“It’s important for us that we have a say in this because this is about the growth of the game,” he said.

“Historically it’s been a decision made by the club but for us it made sense for them to be the Dolphins."

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon they will eventually adopt a name after some years of backlash etc. Regardless what name it is, it will happen. Many people have said "The" is stupid, so we all will be vindicated in time.

As for the theory that a unique place name makes for a better name.....it's not something that can be proven or quantified. Just an opinion, philosophy, the whole Maroochydore rant I did. Reckon I'm right tho.

Reckon I'm also right that a name of a particular place doesn't necessarily mean that a club can't attract a broad fanbase outside of that place/region. There are examples of that at least to back that up. St George, Collingwood, Essendon, etc. What created that broad fanbase was decades of time, popularity, success, iconic jersey that becomes famed, etc.

Feb 16, 2022
Logan
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I reckon they will eventually adopt a name after some years of backlash etc. Regardless what name it is, it will happen. Many people have said "The" is stupid, so we all will be vindicated in time.

As for the theory that a unique place name makes for a better name.....it's not something that can be proven or quantified. Just an opinion, philosophy, the whole Maroochydore rant I did. Reckon I'm right tho.

Reckon I'm also right that a name of a particular place doesn't necessarily mean that a club can't attract a broad fanbase outside of that place/region. There are examples of that at least to back that up. St George, Collingwood, Essendon, etc. What created that broad fanbase was decades of time, popularity, success, iconic jersey that becomes famed, etc.
The first European settlement in Queensland was based in the Redcliffe region in the early 1820s. The settlement was called Moreton Bay. For those reasons, I think it would be historically relevant to name the club Redcliffe or Moreton Bay.

I'd love it id the Easts Tigers altered their bid name to Logan Firehawks. Captain Patrick Logan discovered many of the localities in Moreton Bay and has roads, suburbs, a city and a river named after him on the southern side of Greater Brisbane that Easts Tigers represent. If it wasn't for Patrick Logan then the settlement at Moreton Bay would have been abandoned. I'd love it if Easts teamed up with Fortitude Valley Diehards to create a unified bid called Logan Diehards, as Captain Logan was murdered while exploring south-east Queensland and had a never say die attitude.

Feb 16, 2022
Logan
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I would like to see the return of FV Diehards. Such a distinguished and successful club disappearing from even the state league is a shame.
In 1988 they merged with Tweed Heads Seagulls to be known as the Seagulls-Diehards. They won the Woolies Pre-Season Cup and Brisbane Rugby League Premiership. It's a pity the Titans didn't use the brand when they entered the NRL in 2007. Both the Diehards and Titans use a gladiator as their mascot.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
In 1988 they merged with Tweed Heads Seagulls to be known as the Seagulls-Diehards. They won the Woolies Pre-Season Cup and Brisbane Rugby League Premiership. It's a pity the Titans didn't use the brand when they entered the NRL in 2007. Both the Diehards and Titans use a gladiator as their mascot.
Yep, they also merged with Caboolture in the 90s before that went bust, then merged with Brothers in the 00s, that too went bust. And only returned to the BRL in 2015. BRL not Q-Cup tho.

Good idea about merging with Titans given the gladiator mascots.

Or, if the Titans go bust the Diehards can put a bid together to take over? Just skip over the Q Cup right into the NRL.

Problem is, FV Diehards are a very weak financial entity. Don't see how they could ever get rich/big enough. Maybe they just have to slowly get there....work away at the BRL, try to build assets/money, so as to enter the Q Cup, then keep building assets etc until one day they are able to fill a license in GC if the Titans fall by then.

At least theyre still alive in the BRL. Diehards by name, diehards by nature....love them for how they refuse to die despite all the financial problems, losing a place in a league, keep fighting to live.

Feb 16, 2022
Logan
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yep, they also merged with Caboolture in the 90s before that went bust, then merged with Brothers in the 00s, that too went bust. And only returned to the BRL in 2015. BRL not Q-Cup tho.

Good idea about merging with Titans given the gladiator mascots.

Or, if the Titans go bust the Diehards can put a bid together to take over? Just skip over the Q Cup right into the NRL.

Problem is, FV Diehards are a very weak financial entity. Don't see how they could ever get rich/big enough. Maybe they just have to slowly get there....work away at the BRL, try to build assets/money, so as to enter the Q Cup, then keep building assets etc until one day they are able to fill a license in GC if the Titans fall by then.

At least theyre still alive in the BRL. Diehards by name, diehards by nature....love them for how they refuse to die despite all the financial problems, losing a place in a league, keep fighting to live.
Titans are looking to extend their fanbase into Logan. There's a possibility of Gold Coast Titans adding a team in Logan to compete in the Queensland Cup. The QRL met with the Logan City Council about acquiring a lease for land out past Browns Plains for a Queensland Cup team.

What I'd like to see is the Diehards and Titans work together to create the Logan Diehards. At BRL level and below they can remain Fortitude Valley, but in the Queensland Cup they would tap into Logan's 330k population. It could help the Titans develop a following from the inner-north of Brisbane down through Logan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
A new team in the NRL is more bad news for the Superleague, which rightly fears more of our talented young players will be taken out of the game here.

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Just being called "The Dolphins" is ridiculous to me. Almost as ludicrous as the Perth soccer club called "The City" which fortunately changed names after a year.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
DOLPHINS MAKE SPLASH AS NRL’S NEW CORPORATE KINGS

The Dolphins have joined the Broncos as the financial kings of the NRL, amassing a staggering $10 million corporate empire ahead of their premiership debut next season.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the Dolphins have usurped big guns Melbourne, Penrith, South Sydney and the Roosters with a sponsorship portfolio that vindicates the NRL’s decision to include the much-maligned 17th franchise.

The sponsorship revelations come as the Dolphins slammed criticism of their recruitment and ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys blasted detractors of the Dolphins, backing super coach Wayne Bennett to deliver a finals campaign in their foundation season in 2023.

Dolphins boss Terry Reader confirmed the new franchise is already the second richest team in the league when it comes to corporate support, turning up the heat on Sydney’s posse of cash-strapped clubs.

“Our playing kit (sponsorship) is fully sold and we are travelling very well commercially,” Reader said.

“Our sponsorship book is very healthy and we will probably start next year at number two behind the Broncos in sponsorship revenue based on the last benchmarking results the NRL did.

“There is a good appetite for the Dolphins and we’ve built programs people want to be part of. Given Brisbane has been a one-team town for so long, a lot of companies have been locked out (of sponsorship opportunities).

“There is a lot of interest and we’ve signed some blue-chip companies from day one.”

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fremantle and Perth are a stone's throw apart. Port Adelaide and Adelaide too. They work as two teams in a city (keyword), as a rivalry.

Geelong is a whole other city, a decent amount apart from Melbourne. The Dolphins in the NRL, and their idea of expanding the north, is akin to Geelong, and not to Fremantle or Port Adelaide.

I guarantee that the Dolphins will eventually have to change their name to either Brisbane, Redcliffe, Moreton Bay, or Sunshine Coast, once it realizes it cannot be a The realistically, that it can't try to be all things to all regions, and that it "has to" choose an identity/region.

Maybe the secret plan, a charter, is to go along like this for a while just to grow the north, until the north is ready to have its own team (SC Falcons) and will then settle on being called Brisbane, being a true #2 in Brisbane, representing the north of Brisbane as such whilst the Broncos represent the south, creating a compass rivalry kinda like the Swans and Giants being an east vs west divide.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
So when you say, "the North", you mean Queensland, not Austraiia?
Specifically the "northern corridor", from Moreton Bay up into the Sunshine Coast. That is the fastest growing region in Australia (along with Perth). I'm guessing the NRL are asking the Dolphins to be involved, affiliated and active in that area, with the name "The" too, but eventually when the SC gets its own team, the Dolphins will adopt either a name like Nth Brisbane or Brisbane or Moreton Bay or Redcliffe. That is more likely imo, with the less likely option being the Dolphins end up as the Sunshine Coast and another Brisbane-centric team enters.

Reckon Perth for sure will be the 18th license. And i dunno how long before SC gets a team -- be it relocated or the Falcons.

SC already around 370m population. Central Coast 170k and Wollongong 270k.

Central Coast wont get a team, not yet, not till it can top 500k. If/when Wollongong can top 500k reckon the Dragons will permanently relocate there, maybe a vision theyve always planned for given Sydney must be rationalized

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
OK, thanks. My Australian geography ia not the best; I know Queensland is down the right hand side, and Perth is thousands of miles away top left!

TThe Dragons mostly play at the Gong anyway, don't they? It alwas looks so pretty on TV!

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
He won't be missed by many in England apart from a section of Saints fans. Most see him as a poorer option than his predecessor Justin Holbrook.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Memberships have gone on sale. Interestingly they have dropped the 2 game sunshine coast membership putting in doubt if they are playing games there.
They've also dropped the stand alone 3 game Dolphin stadium membership. Only way to see games at Dolphin stadium now is to buy a 10 game membership.
They've also loaded the price of the Dolphin stadium games. Suncorp games in silver category are $26 each, Dolphin stadium $47 each.
Some really good value options as well, Bronze is only $16.50 a game adults and $8.50 child at Suncorp inc a membership pack. Thats a bargain!

Back