Society & Culture Reddit LOL's

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really a lol as much as it is just breaking the * out of my head...

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/3dquf9/nsfw_what_is_the_scariest_theory_known_to_man/

Some of the best answers:

The Berenstein Bears theory. Go to your mom's house sometime and take a look at all those old books, and you'll see that the name is, and has always been, Berenstain, with an A. Don't you feel stupid now for misreading it throughout your whole childhood? Well, one theory states that the Berenstein / Berenstain dilemma is a small side effect of our universe intersecting with a parallel dimension sometime in the 90's, and everyone who remembers the bears' original surname are experiencing residual memories from another dimension. The first time I heard this I thought I was crazy because I distinctly remembered the original spelling with an E, because I always pronounced it "Berensteen".

[edit] To those writing off the spelling difference as a careless discrepancy between publishers, the books were not named for the bears themselves, but rather for the authors Stan and Jan Berenstein (or Berenstain, depending on which dimension you lived in), which means one effect of the dimensional shift that supposedly happened only a few years ago was the altering of the Berenstein family name at some point in the past. Those who remember the name with an A are simply remembering the "new" timeline.

The Brain-in-a-vat theory:

The brain in a vat is an element used in a variety of thought experiments intended to draw out certain features of our ideas of knowledge, reality, truth, mind and meaning. It assumes the following: That the brain is the origin of all consciousness; The brain operates on electrical impulses; External stimuli can affect the way the brain operates; Any external stimuli to the brain can be simulated to a degree that the brain cannot distinguish these simulated stimuli from natural stimuli.

The point is that you could be a brain in a jar, being fed false impulses for your entire life by an external source, or you (still a brain in a jar) could be hallucinating your entire life from lack of stimuli.

and this:

For me its Solipsism, easiest way to explain it is with a quote from wiki "Solipsism the philosophical idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist. As an epistemological position, solipsism holds that knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure; the external world and other minds cannot be known and might not exist outside the mind. As a metaphysical position, solipsism goes further to the conclusion that the world and other minds do not exist." Basically, every person you see, including family and friends are possibly figments of your imagination and you can never know for sure

followed by this:

I remember reading a post on reddit a year or two ago that your comment reminded me of. Some guy who claimed he'd suffered a head injury and was briefly in a coma. He described that while in that coma, he was unaware of it and thought his reality kept going. He described finishing school, falling in love with woman he very vividly remembered, marrying her, having a job, etc... All of the things that people do to build a life. He described that while in this "dream," he sat down in a chair one day, and noticed that the lamp beside him seemed different. He then described how over the coming days in the dream, different pieces of his reality broke down around him, until he eventually woke up from the coma in real life. He'd only been out for a relatively short period, but he had trouble letting go of the dream world he'd lived in and had become quite depressed.

Again, I'm going off memory here, so my description may not be entirely accurate. But that post was one of the more interesting things I ever remember reading on reddit.

Edit: Found it.https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/...o_have_been_in_a_coma_what_is_it_like/ckzitpv

r/RoastMe

UNILAD-55d7b91d3ddc23.jpg

UNILAD-55d7b911b753c6.jpg
UNILAD-55d7b8d7e78872.png

UNILAD-55d7b8c2e97d46.png
isBBhsc.jpg
v8jRMpS.jpg
sBes7Tf.jpg
92I41Wg.jpg

Not really a lol as much as it is just breaking the **** out of my head...

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/3dquf9/nsfw_what_is_the_scariest_theory_known_to_man/

Some of the best answers...

That 'Berenstein Bears' theory, while having its own subreddit page

https://www.reddit.com/r/BerensteinConspiracy

also has a variant in another theory - The Mandela Effect. https://www.reddit.com/r/MandelaEffect/

What is it? Quantum Universes!

The Mandela Effect:
  • Do you remember certain personal or world events happening differently than they did for everyone else?

• Some people remember the death of Nelson Mandela as far back as the 1970's in prison. This is where the effect gets its name.

• Some vividly remember the deaths of certain celebrities years before they actually happened.

• Some people have different geographical memories (eg: different locations for New Zealand and Sri Lanka are big ones).

• Completely different endings to movies, TV shows you remember differently, or music seemingly different now?
As I understand it, the theory goes that the universe, as well as being an objective, all-encompassing thing is also subjective. Each decision, each random bit of bullshit in life and death constantly divides the universe and divides it again. All possibilities are played out forever. There is the Quantum Universe and for the individual there is Quantum Immortality.

You might die, but in some other possibility you live on. The Q.I theory supposes that this goes on constantly, yet sometimes 'memories' of an alternate timeline - one where you have died - filter across infinite timelines. Nelson Mandela died in prison in the 1970's. The Berenstein Bears used to be spelled differently. Memories aren't what they seem.

It goes back to the 'Schrödinger's Cat' thought experiment, where the universe splits on two possibilities. They both exist until the observer sees the outcome, then the live cat's subjective universe keeps splitting while the dead one stops, or collapses on itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger's_cat

Schrödinger's cat: a cat, a flask of poison, and a radioactive source are placed in a sealed box. If an internal monitor detects radioactivity (i.e., a single atom decaying), the flask is shattered, releasing the poison that kills the cat. The Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics implies that after a while, the cat is simultaneously alive and dead. Yet, when one looks in the box, one sees the cat either alive or dead, not both alive and dead. This poses the question of when exactly quantum superposition ends and reality collapses into one possibility or the other.

Does it depend on an observer though? If a tree falls and nobody hears it, does it make a sound? As a thought exercise it can be mind-blowing - as an assurance that death has no real meaning it's even a good 'afterlife' alternative for those who aint buying into the whole 'heaven' thing. It's like reincarnation except you are ALWAYS you, except for all the little differences.

Of course none of it is provable, which sits it nice and squarely in with the host of other 'find meaning in life and beyond death' theories mankind religiously obsesses over.

Good s**t...

Last edited:
followed by this:
That 'Berenstein Bears' theory, while having its own subreddit page

Good s**t...

This s**t blew my mind. I used to sometimes think about perception and whether everyone sees/hears things the same. Like the colour red. Is it the same to everyone (although technically there is no such thing as colour, but that's another story)? I could go on.

That stuff is really interesting. It's kind of scary thinking that when we die it's all over, but studying science a lot at uni has kind of in built evolution in to my mind. Will definitely read up on this.

That story about the dude in the coma is crazy though. Imagine how terrifying it'd be having your world slowly break down around you?

Not funny, just mean.

Those comedy central roasts have a lot to answer for.
Depends on your sense of humour. The CC roasts obviously had an audience of people finding them funny. The subjects obviously thought it would be amusing otherwise they wouldnt have volunteered (although perhaps the women were forced to by the patriarchy, man)

I can certainly appreciate witty roastings.

Depends on your sense of humour. The CC roasts obviously had an audience of people finding them funny. The subjects obviously thought it would be amusing otherwise they wouldnt have volunteered (although perhaps the women were forced to by the patriarchy, man)

I can certainly appreciate witty roastings.

And we certainly appreciate that an aborted fetus manages to post on BigFooty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The rubber glove with soap story is one of the finest pieces of literary work in the history of writing lol

..just because you’re bored and you can.. Not the Jesus Masturbating Christ I Hope I Don’t Have A Heart Attack While Wearing My Wife’s Clothes With A Hairbrush Handle Up My Ass While Looking At A Photoshopped Picture of Her Sister’s Head On Sasha Grey’s Body On The Laptop kind of jerking off. Y’know.. The good stuff.

We need some more links here. All the good sicko reddit ones are deleted now. Disappointing to say the least.

Although the last words from the death row blokes was mildly interesting.

Maybe I should tag you in it (or both if the 2 threads haven't been merged).

Just the thought Ive either makes me feel ill..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back