Society & Culture Reddit LOL's

Remove this Banner Ad

From r/AITA

Alright now hear me out, last week was mine and my girlfriends 1 year anniversary. I invited her over to mine, and to celebrate I made (what I think was) a really romantic candle lit dinner. Now this thing took me ages to make, 3 courses, I even made lasagna from scratch, fresh pasta and everything.

It’s probably the best thing I can make but I don’t do it often because it is a LOT of effort, I’m talking maybe around 10 hours for the whole thing. Not even mentioning the cost of ingredients which was maybe 20-25 quid, not sure exactly.
Well... she came round Saturday night and we had dinner (which in fear of sound like a bit of a campaigner was ******* perfect) and afterward we went and sat on the sofa.

That’s when she pulled out a present for me, now we’re both students and we’ve not got loads of cash on hand, so it’s not like I was expecting her to buy me anything, we hadn’t even discussed presents or anything beforehand.
It ended up being a watch, nothing too flashy maybe 40-50 pounds, being honest it was a nice gift so I thanked her for it. But that’s when she turned to me and said “so what did you get me”
I replied “what?” She repeated “what did you get me for our anniversary”

I told her I didn’t get her a present, this for some reason upset her, she started asking why I didn’t get her anything special? Now the fact she even asked me that pissed me off a little. I told her I put a lot of effort into tonight and that I thought that was worth more than anything I could just buy.

She told me all her mates had gotten necklaces or bracelets or whatever the * from their boyfriends on their anniversary’s and that she would’ve preferred it if I’d just bought her something instead of what I’d actually done.

At this point I was ******* fuming, so I just told her if that’s how she felt she should get out, so I gave her back the watch and made her leave, the next day I awoke to a bombardment of texts from her friends saying how much of a dickhead I was to throw my gf out on our anniversary.

Honestly this whole ordeal has made me rethink the whole relationship, I just need to know...
Am I the arsehole?

Poor communication sounds like the problem but kicking his girlfriend out on their anniversary for not loving his gift of "20-25 quid" dinner (which he ate half of) is something an arsehole would do. She should be fuming more than him.

Last edited:
He is really overselling the amount of effort required to make pasta from scratch in order to make him not sound like an arsehole, but he is and should be ashamed of his behaviour.

I didn't see him reply to any of the "How often does she cook for you?" comments.

Hell's Bells, that lady's bottom a page or so back is going to give me nightmares

Good s**t on Reddit, the meme culture of r/AFL and r/cricket is fun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is really overselling the amount of effort required to make pasta from scratch in order to make him not sound like an arsehole, but he is and should be ashamed of his behaviour.
If he made the pasta from scratch and the sauces from scratch it's a fair bit of work.

Who buys gifts for a 1 year anniversary anyways, it's 2019 for the love of christ.

He's the arsehole on this one, if he hasn't figured out after 1 year that she's more into presents than experiences then that's on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back