Redman suspended for tackling "The Bont"

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Caleb Daniel got done for the same type of tackle this season. I didn't agree and don't with this one either.

I sympathise with what the league is trying to do re ‘protecting the head’, but this one is just footy. Appeal and get off.
They're trying to do the right thing but haven't actually looked at why it's happening.

The root cause is players have to tackle for longer for decisions to be made by the umpire.

Same deal with the rolling maul. Just ball it up quickly and you will reduce injuries and congestion.

Not suspending Buddy a couple of weeks ago or Selwood this week would suggest they're trying to do nothing of the sort
They should have both been given a week, and off the top of my head, so should Friscth.( sp? ), and no doubt others. It’s not easy to find the balance between actions, intent, outcomes. It’s tricky trying to navigate through the changing footy landscape and sometimes they get it wrong. But I see it as a mistake rather than some conspiracy, corruption etc. I don’t see how you could dispute that, overall, the afl is trying to get rid of dangerous head stuff.

They should have both been given a week, and off the top of my head, so should Friscth.( sp? ), and no doubt others. It’s not easy to find the balance between actions, intent, outcomes. It’s tricky trying to navigate through the changing footy landscape and sometimes they get it wrong. But I see it as a mistake rather than some conspiracy, corruption etc. I don’t see how you could dispute that, overall, the afl is trying to get rid of dangerous head stuff.
Well their doing a sh!t job of it when they pick and choose penalties based on who the player is.

Well their doing a sh!t job of it when they pick and choose penalties based on who the player is.
Haha. Conspiracy stuff.
When did Fritsch become a ‘protected species‘, as the popular saying goes? Does Hocking barrack for the dees too? ;)

Last edited:
Fairly consistent with the Caleb Daniel suspension earlier this year, video here:

I disagree with both of them but they've set the precedent now.

Pay holding the ball earlier and it doesn't happen. Instead of that the players keeps trying to fight through the tackle and becomes more off balance and makes it harder for the tackler to keep control

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fairly consistent with the Caleb Daniel suspension earlier this year, video here:

Not even close to being similar. One is a driving tackle immediately. The tackle on Bont is a 2-4 second tackle with him trying to fight through it

couple of small differences for mine.
Daniel drives the player & Berry's head makes first contact with the ground.
Redman is hanging off Bont and the weight brings him down.

couple of small differences for mine.
Daniel drives the player & Berry's head makes first contact with the ground.
Redman is hanging off Bont and the weight brings him down.
That's fair, I disagreed with it but wasn't completely shocked that Daniel copped a week, but certainly didn't expect it to go beyond a free kick against for Redman. I understand many think it shouldn't have even been a free kick but I think that was correct, but no more.

My take is that, given the potential to cause serious injury (maybe along the lines of Alex McKinnon in the NRL?), the MRP are now saying that if you apply a tackle on a player who then lands on their head/neck, you're in strife. As usual though, there's no nuance.

Problem is that umpires are letting the tackle go too long before calling a ball up or HTB, so players have to take opponents to ground for any decision to be made.

Make the decision quickly, then throw the ball up quickly and you remove head injuries and speed the game up!

This is far too much common sense for the AFL. It’s ridiculous how long players have to dispose of the ball.

How can Michael Christian justify suspending Redman but not Selwood? If one goes, both have to go. If one gets off how can the other get suspended?

Michael Christian is a donkey.

He landed on his shoulder how is it medium impact
Well, if it wasn't for that tackle he wouldn't have dropped the ball in the F50 tackle, thereby getting a free kick and a goal. So it was medium impact on their scoreline.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back