Redman suspended for tackling "The Bont"

Remove this Banner Ad

Unlucky to even concede a free given what was allowed to pass in other games.
what was allowed to pass even in this game!

Sling tackle, arm pinned, head hits the deck - hard to see what the difference is. But no free kick and, of course, completely ignored by the neanderthal who does the match reviews

Sling tackle, arm pinned, head hits the deck - hard to see what the difference is. But no free kick and, of course, completely ignored by the neanderthal who does the match reviews

now i'm even more puzzled.

It isn't like the umpire can't see it either. Clear view of the incident.

BTW, how can I copy that clip? It really needs sharing.

They should have both been given a week, and off the top of my head, so should Friscth.( sp? ), and no doubt others. It’s not easy to find the balance between actions, intent, outcomes. It’s tricky trying to navigate through the changing footy landscape and sometimes they get it wrong. But I see it as a mistake rather than some conspiracy, corruption etc. I don’t see how you could dispute that, overall, the afl is trying to get rid of dangerous head stuff.
I don’t see it as a conspiracy, but there seems to be a fear of making a controversial call on a ‘star’ player that doesn’t exist for the run of the mill. So, IMO, do they get preferential treatment because of who they are? Yeah, I reckon. Is it a deliberate conspiracy? No, probably not.

Buddy and Selwood can do as they like.
Don’t touch Bont
and then there is Green
Just want to point out that less than 2 years ago Green got let off with a fine for sticking his fingers into Bontempelli's eyes. The conspiracy theories are laughable.

Just want to point out that less than 2 years ago Green got let off with a fine for sticking his fingers into Bontempelli's eyes. The conspiracy theories are laughable.

Thankyou! Posters, sorry I should say the footballing public are pathetic in their assessments of Greene.
If it were Toby Greene blah blah it’s different lol. He got let off for an actual eye gouge.
This week a player got suspended for an eye gouge but Greene got off. Spare me the conspiracy theories when he is an outright grub. The very next week Greene does it AGAIN against Brisbane and we are meant to feel sorry for him lol? People are hopeless.

Unlucky to even concede a free given what was allowed to pass in other games.

Unlucky to even concede a free given what was allowed to pass in THE SAME game.

Arm pinned? Tick
Sling tackle? Tick
Head hits ground? ******* bounces off it. Tick.

Not even a free.

Edit: Beat me to it Lance you **** ;)

Unlucky to even concede a free given what was allowed to pass in THE SAME game.

Arm pinned? Tick
Sling tackle? Tick
Head hits ground? ******* bounces off it. Tick.

Not even a free.

^ Should be a free too.
Neither tackle should be a suspension. If Redman had pinned both arms I would think a week would be a fair result, but players are taught to pin one arm to make disposal more difficult.

If there is intent to slam a player into the ground it might be a different story, but it just looked like a rough tackle. How bumping a bloke in the head (e.g. Selwood) is only a fine yet this gets a week is just downright confusing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^ Should be a free too.
Neither tackle should be a suspension. If Redman had pinned both arms I would think a week would be a fair result, but players are taught to pin one arm to make disposal more difficult.

If there is intent to slam a player into the ground it might be a different story, but it just looked like a rough tackle. How bumping a bloke in the head (e.g. Selwood) is only a fine yet this gets a week is just downright confusing.

Spot on. It's not so much the individual decisions that are frustrating but the complete lack of any apparent objective consistency.

^ Should be a free too.

Add to that, it was more that Redman hanging off him brought Bont down, rather than Redman controlling the whole motion

Both Merrett & Bont were HTB, but rule is dangerous tackle will override the HTB free.

I want the club to challenge the MRO on why this was deemed medium and not low quite publicly. Ramp pressure on this muppet.

Add to that, it was more that Redman hanging off him brought Bont down, rather than Redman controlling the whole motion
I understand the dangers of a sling tackle, I just thought this was a little rough and that Redman wasn't trying to sling Bont into the ground.
I view a sling tackle as one where a player kind of uses their hip for leverage and gets a player airborne on the way to slamming them into the ground. I don't think Redman or Bailey Smith used that type of action, and that leverage to sling a player really should be the factor in determining whether a suspension is worthy.

That it happened in the same round as someone who actually did hip someone in the head (and only attracts a fine), you can understand why fans are confused and disappointed.

Spot on. It's not so much the individual decisions that are frustrating but the complete lack of any apparent objective consistency.

Agreed. Accidental contact is not ok, but deliberately lining someone up and hitting them in the head (Selwood) is fine. Or eye gouging them (Selwood), or stamping on them (Selwood), or dropping the elbow into the back of the head (Selwood)...

Agreed. Accidental contact is not ok, but deliberately lining someone up and hitting them in the head (Selwood) is fine. Or eye gouging them (Selwood), or stamping on them (Selwood), or dropping the elbow into the back of the head (Selwood)...
There seems to be a pattern here somewhere, let me think for a bit and go over it, I'm sure it will come to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back