Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Hipwood is a bit of highlights real and that is all he will be.

Doesn't get the ball much at all, takes few marks and doesn't kick that many goals. But when he does something it is flashy and that is why he is hyped up.

v

Oliver
Racks up massive numbers and is already one of the top 5 contested in and under mids in the league.
Hipwood is a skinny KPF. Naturally he is going to take a lot longer to develop than a big bodied ready-made midfielder like Oliver. Judging him solely on his numbers so far is silly, he has shown great potential and that's all you can ask for a young KPF. He has some truly elite traits, just needs to put some meat on his bones so he can start competing 1 on 1 and taking contested marks. He will be the complete forward when he can do that - already has the elite speed, agility, vertical jump.

Players with traits like Hipwood don't grow on trees and that's why so many people rate him highly, even if he hasn't racked up huge numbers as of yet. Buddy Franklin is the only other KPP sized player in the comp who has the same combination of speed & agility and that's where the comparisons come from. I doubt Hipwood will be anywhere near as good as Buddy, but you can see the potential and similarities there.

Hipwood is barely a third year KPP. You can't compare an AFL ready man child to two young KPP's in Hipwood and Curnow. Hipwood and Curnow both have extremely high ceilings

Potential over current form at this stage, however some players like Oliver and Curnow have both potential and output in their favour)

1. Clayton Oliver (top 25 midfielder in league already)
2. Charlie Curnow
3. Eric Hipwood
4. Callum Mills
5. Jacob Hopper
6. Ryan Burton
7. Josh Dunkley
8. Daniel Rioli
9. Jacob Weitering (What has he shown? Poor form can be excused at times, but what trait of his is exceptional? Is he a strong 1v1 contested marker? Does he have elite disposals? Does he have good decision making/intercepting ability? For me at this stage he has nothing.)
10. Tom Phillips (26 touches a game wingman, best long distance runner at Collingwood ahead of sidebottom, questionable disposals but if he was a good kick too he wouldn't be this low)

I love it how Hipwood is constantly rated extremely highly, yet Paddy is already considered a flop even their output has been very similar despite paddy playing way less TOG due to injuries.
Hipwood anyday and everyday over McCartin.
Not even close. He may be getting a lot of posies at the moment, but it’s clear when he does how much talent he has. It will click for him sooner rather than later. McCartin....unfortunately just can’t see it happening.

Potential over current form at this stage, however some players like Oliver and Curnow have both potential and output in their favour)

2. Charlie Curnow
3. Eric Hipwood
4. Callum Mills
5. Jacob Hopper
6. Ryan Burton
7. Josh Dunkley
8. Daniel Rioli
9. Jacob Weitering (What has he shown? Poor form can be excused at times, but what trait of his is exceptional? Is he a strong 1v1 contested marker? Does he have elite disposals? Does he have good decision making/intercepting ability? For me at this stage he has nothing.)
10. Tom Phillips (26 touches a game wingman, best long distance runner at Collingwood ahead of sidebottom, questionable disposals but if he was a good kick too he wouldn't be this low)
Would have said you were stretching it to put Phillips in the top 10 at the start of this year, but he’s had an incredible year so far and his disposal has really improved. Very underrated player now.

2. Charlie Curnow
3. Eric Hipwood
4. Callum Mills
5. Jacob Hopper
6. Ryan Burton
7. Josh Dunkley
8. Daniel Rioli
Anyone got the leading goal kicking stats for players in this draft?

Anyone got the leading goal kicking stats for players in this draft?
I'll include those who have played more than 10 games and were drafted as forwards as well as a few that have played predominantly as a forward:

Tom Papley: 50 games - 67 goals - avg. 1.34
Eric Hipwood: 40 games - 55 goals - avg. 1.38
Jade Gresham: 50 games - 59 goals - avg. 1.16
Charlie Curnow: 35 games - 39 goals - avg. 1.11
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti: 54 games - 50 goals - avg. 0.93
Josh Schache: 28 games - 26 goals - avg. 0.93
Daniel Rioli: 43 games - 38 goals - avg. 0.88
Jack Silvagni: 32 games - 28 goals - avg. 0.88
Callum Ah Chee: 33 games - 21 goals - avg. 0.64 (been playing as a defender since R14, 2017 - was 21 games - 20 goals - avg. 0.95 before that)
Josh Dunkley: 33 games - 21 goals - avg. 0.64
Sam Weidemann: 14 games - 8 goals - avg. 0.57
Darcy Macpherson: 17 games - 9 goals - avg. 0.52
Wayne Milera: 31 games - 13 goals - avg. 0.42
Jacob Weitering: 41 games - 10 goals - avg. 0.21 (has been a swingman so would probably be closer to 15 - 20 games as a forward - which is still a poor return)

Mention to Harry McKay who is only on 8 games but has 15 goals for an avg of 1.88

Last edited:
I'll include those who have played more than 10 games and were drafted as forwards as well as a few that have played predominantly as a forward:

Tom Papley: 50 games - 67 goals - avg. 1.34
Eric Hipwood: 40 games - 55 goals - avg. 1.38
Jade Gresham: 50 games - 59 goals - avg. 1.16
Charlie Curnow: 35 games - 39 goals - avg. 1.11
Josh Schache: 28 games - 26 goals - avg. 0.93
Daniel Rioli: 43 games - 38 goals - avg. 0.88
Jack Silvagni: 32 games - 28 goals - avg. 0.88
Callum Ah Chee: 33 games - 21 goals - avg. 0.64 (been playing as a defender since R14, 2017 - was 21 games - 20 goals - avg. 0.95 before that)
Josh Dunkley: 33 games - 21 goals - avg. 0.64
Sam Weidemann: 14 games - 8 goals - avg. 0.57
Wayne Milera: 31 games - 13 goals - avg. 0.42
Jacob Weitering: 41 games - 10 goals - avg. 0.21 (has been a swingman so would probably be closer to 15 - 20 games as a forward - which is still a poor return)

Mention to Harry McKay who is only on 8 games but has 15 goals for an avg of 1.88

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti: 54 games - 50 goals - avg. 0.93

You've missed Walla. Part of the same draft class, spent almost his entire first season as a defender which has hurt his average.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oliver is currently comfortably the best from this draft. I can’t see regressing at all and you’d think he’ll only improve. At this stage Curnow would be number 2 behind him and has potential to overtake and if he does he’ll be some player!

No, I completely understand the comment I made. That's what I believe to be true. If you believe Oliver is a clear stand out, you'd have no issue in explaining to me how Oliver is better than Hipwood (One of the mentioned players). Really really looking forward to it.
Hipwood has only played 3 or 4 good games. Many times can’t even crack double digit possessions and goes through matches not kicking goals (which is what I thought was the role of a forward).

Oliver is a beast in comparison. Consistently delivers. A younger Cripps.

Hipwood has only played 3 or 4 good games. Many times can’t even crack double digit possessions and goes through matches not kicking goals (which is what I thought was the role of a forward).

Oliver is a beast in comparison. Consistently delivers. A younger Cripps.

Cripps is an older Oliver*

Now now, let us not get carried away.
Cripps carries an entire team on his shoulders weekly.

Nonetheless:

1. Curnow
2. Oliver

Phillips has been outstanding this year, I'm a huge fan.

Curnow will be magnificent one day under the right guidance, but 16 goals in nine appearances - five coming in round one - raises the question of whether he's in the right environment. Would hate to see him turn into another Weitering.

Curnow will be magnificent one day under the right guidance, but 16 goals in nine appearances - five coming in round one - raises the question of whether he's in the right environment. Would hate to see him turn into another Weitering.
That’s actually a pretty good goals per game average, especially considering he plays for the bottom team and is only 21.

Need directions to Bay 13? You seem lost.

I'm well aware that melbourne supporters are known to pump up our own players just like we probably did with Sylvia, Mclean, Morton, Gysberts, etc. but Oliver was unlucky not to be all-australian last year and should be considered this year. Until Curnow is in All-Australian contention then he will have matched Oliver.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back