Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but you think De Goey is a far trade for Gunston as well. Oliver has been better so far, but I believe Burton has a better upside.
LOL hilarious bloke

Before last game Gunston was averaging less than a goal a game and De Goey 1.167 goals a game when playing as a mid/very high half forward
Even if u include the 5 gunston kicked, he's still on 1.25 goals a game

Gunston is in abysmal form and will soon qualify for FA, you'd be extremely lucky to get a mid first rounder at this stage. Your bias for hawthorn players is astonishing. Oliver would be your 2nd best player this year for your entire list.

LOL hilarious bloke

Before last game Gunston was averaging less than a goal a game and De Goey 1.167 goals a game when playing as a mid/very high half forward

Gunston is in abysmal form and will soon qualify for FA, you'd be extremely lucky to get a mid first rounder at this stage. Your bias for hawthorn players is astonishing. Oliver would be your 2nd best player this year for your entire list.
Gunston has kicked 51, 57 and 58 goals in the last 3 seasons, he is also contracted until the end of the 2019 season. No way would he be leaving for anything close to a mid first round pick.

LOL hilarious bloke

Gunston has been playing up the ground this year. The first game where he played as a forward and he kicked 5 goals. He's also a proven performer, consistently kicking more than 50 goals a year. Gunston is under contract until the end of 2019, so two more full seasons after this year.

FWIW Burton is probably 2nd in our best and fairest as well. As I said before (but you failed to grasp or acknowledge this concept) Oliver has been better, but Burton has more potential.

Gunston has been playing up the ground this year. The first game where he played as a forward and he kicked 5 goals. He's also a proven performer, consistently kicking more than 50 goals a year. Gunston is under contract until the end of 2019, so two more full seasons after this year.

FWIW Burton is probably 2nd in our best and fairest as well. As I said before (but you failed to grasp or acknowledge this concept) Oliver has been better, but Burton has more potential.
Gunston relies on good teammates around him to do well. There's a reason why as soon as Lewis and mitchell left his output falls off a cliff. His contested marking is quite weak, and the fact that he's been playing further up the ground doesn't excuse his terrible performances this year, it's not like he's taken many more marks in games to compensate for the loss of goals.

You fail to explain why Burton has more potential than Oliver, it's quite clear that the only relevant potential is derived from your clear bias for Hawthorn players. The fact that handballs quite often really doesn't limit his potential. The premier inside mids like Dangerfield, JPK, Nathan Fyfe etc all prefer handballing to teammates rather than kicking it out blindly.

But even if lets say under the best possible circumstance Burton does become an elite 3rd tall defender/rebounder, Oliver is still much more preferred as the game winning inside mid who can kick goals.

Gunston relies on good teammates around him to do well. There's a reason why as soon as Lewis and mitchell left his output falls off a cliff. His contested marking is quite weak, and the fact that he's been playing further up the ground doesn't excuse his terrible performances this year, it's not like he's taken many more marks in games to compensate for the loss of goals.

You fail to explain why Burton has more potential than Oliver, it's quite clear that the only relevant potential is derived from your clear bias for Hawthorn players. The fact that handballs quite often really doesn't limit his potential. The premier inside mids like Dangerfield, JPK, Nathan Fyfe etc all prefer handballing to teammates rather than kicking it out blindly.

But even if lets say under the best possible circumstance Burton does become an elite 3rd tall defender/rebounder, Oliver is still much more preferred as the game winning inside mid who can kick goals.
Why are you judging Gunston purely off of this season? You act like the first 12 games mean everything he has done thus far in his career is irrelevant. With no Roughy last season he was our only tall forward and he was outstanding.

Burton had missed almost 2 years of football prior to this season. What he is delivering this year after missing so much football in a role he had never played before is very very impressive.

Why are you judging Gunston purely off of this season? You act like the first 12 games mean everything he has done thus far in his career is irrelevant. With no Roughy last season he was our only tall forward and he was outstanding.

Burton had missed almost 2 years of football prior to this season. What he is delivering this year after missing so much football in a role he had never played before is very very impressive.
Like I literally just said if you still cannot understand...

Gunston is a player that relies on good delivery since he's quite lacking contested wise. The 12 games we have this year is the entire sample of him playing without the delivery of a top 4 team.

What happened before hand is relevant but a different story.

1 - Jacob Weitering
2 - Josh Schache
3 - Callum Mills
4 - Clayton Oliver
5 - Darcy Parish
6 - Aaron Francis
7 - Jacob Hopper
8 - Callum Ah Chee
9 - Sam Weideman
10 - Harry McKay
11 - Wayne Milera
12 - Charlie Curnow
13 - Matthew Kennedy
14 - Eric Hipwood
15 - Daniel Rioli
16 - Harrison Himmelberg
17 - Tom Doedee
18 - Jade Gresham
19 - Ryan Burton
20 - Brayden Fiorini
21 - Ben McKay
22 - Kieran Lovell
23 - David Cuningham
24 - Ben Keays
25 - Josh Dunkley
26 - Kieran Collins
27 - Darcy Tucker
28 - Luke Partington
29 - Alex Morgan
30 - Mason Redman
31 - Ryan Clarke
32 - Brayden Sier
33 - Mitchell Hibberd
34 - Josh Schoenfeld
35 - Marcus Adams
36 - Tom Cole
37 - Riley Bonner
38 - Harley Balic
39 - Rhys Mathieson
40 - Brandon White
41 - Matthew Flynn
42 - Mitch King
43 - Corey Wagner
44 - Blake Hardwick
45 - Aidyn Johnson
46 - Liam Hulett
47 - Sam Skinner
48 - Bailey Williams
49 - Bailey Rice
50 - Oleg Markov
51 - Tyrone Leonardis
52 - Mackenzie Willis
53 - Jack Silvagni
54 - Mitch Brown
55 - Sam Collins
56 - Jordan Dawson
57 - Kurt Mutimer
58 - Tom Phillips
59 - Ryan Gardner
60 - Declan Mountford
61 - Shane Yarran
62 - Matthew Allen
63 - Rupert Wills
64 - Yestin Eades
65 - Ben Crocker
66 - Sam Menegola
67 - Nathan Broad
68 - Michael Hartley
69 - Wylie Buzza
70 - Matthew Hayball

A very solid draft class!

I Rate:

Weitering
Mills
Oliver
Parish
Hopper
Ah Chee
Milera
Hipwood
Rioli
Gresham
Burton
Fiorini
Lovell
Dunkley
Adams
Hardwick
Silvagni
Phillips
Menegola

Already and its only been 2 years. With many more that have have heaps of potential not listed.

Top 10's will be hard.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nah I'm completely with u on that. He's the closest thing I've seen to a young buddy. But the other guys have been a lot more consistent than hipwood. Just doesn't have the strength or workrate yet to stay in the game for 4 quarters
Interesting that you mention he doesn't have the work rate which is completely opposite from what I've seen and heard from people in the know. One of the hardest workers we have both off and on field. His size and inexperience is playing against him but he is still 19. I personally think he will be the best player out of the draft at careers end... will consistently win us games off his own boot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie has been the pick of the key forwards so far.

Hipwood's numbers don't even come close.
it's about 5 times easier to play in the forward line when you have a mature bodies there with you. Hipwood is playing solo and taking the best defenders every week. He was our 2nd most experienced forward last week (behind Lewis Taylor) with only 22 games to his name.

it's about 5 times easier to play in the forward line when you have a mature bodies there with you. Hipwood is playing solo and taking the best defenders every week. He was our 2nd most experienced forward last week (behind Lewis Taylor) with only 22 games to his name.

I thoroughly agree, Casboult plays an important role shielding Curnow from the primary defender.

Hipwood is capable of the mercurial, will be nice to track his progress.

I thoroughly agree, Casboult plays an important role shielding Curnow from the primary defender.

Hipwood is capable of the mercurial, will be nice to track his progress.
I liked what I saw of Curnow against the Suns. Looks like he has insane potential as both a roaming forward or even a tall midfielder as he moves so well. When I first saw him last year he looked so uncoordinated with his long body but gee after 2 AFL preseasons he is filling out nicely and getting used to his frame. Will be scary good in a few years if he continues to develop.

Also Weideman will be a slow burn - didn't play any footy in his draft year, seriously underdeveloped physically, and plays as our third forward. Happy for him to fly under the radar for a few years

I would say that value wise, Menegola has been the best there.

Id have him in the top 20 - not bad from 66.

Maybe Top 15 at best but no higher...

Go Catters

Burton over Oliver is hysterical. Maybe he becomes better, but there's a big gap right now. Imagine Clarry with 5kg less fat and 10kg more muscle

Anyone that doesn't have AMT in the top 10 doesn't watch enough football. The guy is a dead set superstar.
He's also about 4 years older than the rest of his draft crop. He's a good player but I would take anyone in my top 10 over him

Tom Cole is someone who could turn into a very good player. Only 8 touches but his impact on Thursday seemed much greater than that. His defensive pressure was top notch and wasn't afriad to engage in a bit of biff in his third game. I remember danger tried to bollocked his way through him but Cole was able to bring him down but danger just got a hand pass through. Offensively he is very good and from the few wafl games I have seen, he moves through congestion well and his kicking is very good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back