Draft Review 2007 - Redo the 2007 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

It's pretty sad how much past form gets overlooked in these comparisons. Wood didn't string together a quality season until about 2014/15 yet somehow he's jumped ahead of Cotchin who's been a gun mid since 2011 (and is the the true Brownlow medalist of 2012). If you redo this draft there isn't a single club that would take Easton Wood ahead of Cotchin based on what we've seen over their 9 seasons.

In fact I'd have Cotchin ahead of Rance if we're talking career output so far. Rance is good enough to possibly bridge the gap over the final ~5 years of their careers, but there is no way Wood gets there.

Tex has put together 2 quality seasons. In fact 2015 is the only season of his career that can be argued was better than Cotchin's. Walker's form this year also doesn't fill you with much promise that he can make up too much ground.

Tarrant is another. He was a failed forward until the end of 2014. He didn't cement his spot until his 8th season. Unless he plays well into his 30s he's gonna retire with only 5-6 top quality seasons at best. I'm not sure how players that only had half a career could rank so highly.

I can understand recent form overshadowing past form when we're looking at drafts from 3-5 years ago, but surely their entire body of work has to come into play for drafts 8-10 years ago?

Cotchin was very good in 2012 - made his only AA side and came 2nd in the brownlow - although not a great way to compare V defenders. Finals performance is more important than Brownlow votes.

Wood made his AA debut last year and maybe his good year is fresher.

Rance is about to have his 3rd AA award and is a superstar. Not sure many of your Tiger mates would take Cotchin over Rance.

Cotchin was very good in 2012 - made his only AA side and came 2nd in the brownlow - although not a great way to compare V defenders. Finals performance is more important than Brownlow votes.

Wood made his AA debut last year and maybe his good year is fresher.

Rance is about to have his 3rd AA award and is a superstar. Not sure many of your Tiger mates would take Cotchin over Rance.

True but a players worth isn't just based on AA selections.

Cotchin and Wood each have one AA. Cotchin was one of the top handful of players in the league in 2012, and was a level above Wood's 2015. For the rest of their careers it's not even a comparison. Cotchin is absolutely miles in front. Cotchin is still a good player and it would take an enormous effort from Wood over last ~5 years of his career to catch back up.

Seeing Marlon Motlop (Pick #28, 2007 National Draft) and Jarrhan Jacky (Pick #30) running around for the Indigenous All-Stars in the Slowdown (the SA version of the Legends Game) at the moment kind of brings it home how short the lifespan of an AFL footballer can be, and also how poor this particular draft class turned out to be too.

Looking back, the fact that 9 bottom-agers (1990 born) made the 2007 U/18 All-Australian Team (with 5 being drafted in 2007, back when you could still draft 17-year-olds) indicated that the 2007 class itself (1989 born) wasn't very deep or strong, and the results since then confirm that.

Re-doing this draft though, it might be controversial, but I still think Carlton takes Kreuzer at #1. He's what they needed at the time (Cain Ackland, Cameron Cloke and a 19-year-old Sam Jacobs and Shaun Hampson were the other ruckmen on their list going into 2008), and if he had been able to stay fit across the journey, he would be one of the top ruckmen in the league.

Tarrant becomes an interesting one. Great on current form but as a draft pick had a low amount of ROI so far. Ask again at the end of his career. Future looks very bloody promising which is something we've never really gotten to think about with him.

My preference if I had to choose for Collingwood

1. Dangerfield
2. Rioli
3. Rance
4. Ward
5. Walker
6. Cotchin
7. Steven
8. Taylor
9. Hooker
10. Masten

Rioli still at 2 after ending his career early? Rance has over taken him and is battling Danger for the number 1 spot.

Tarrant has been good for a while now and should take Mastens spot in the top 10.

Rioli still at 2 after ending his career early? Rance has over taken him and is battling Danger for the number 1 spot.

Tarrant has been good for a while now and should take Mastens spot in the top 10.

Hard to argue. Tarrant up to 9, Hooker to 10.

Would also bump Cotchin up above Ward and Walker.

If I could pick any player at their peak to play for the Pies fully fit it would still be Danger or Cyril.

Feel like Easton Wood should be considered reasonably high in a re-draft. Not top 5 of course, but he's a premiership captain, All Australian and club B+F. I'd have him above the likes of Steven, Taylor, Hooker, Masten and Tarrant, but below Danger, Ward, Cotchin, etc.

Re: re do the 2007 draft now that we know what we know

Outside the top 20 most drafts would look pretty thin. I think 2007 was a pretty good draft from what we've seen so far.

Grimes and Morton are both very good. Both have similar strengths which are that they are effective with disposal, are composed and make very good decisions - and they both know how to find the footy.

Cotchin will be a gun if he can hold it together - but so will the 2 Melbourne players. Melbourne did very well in this draft.
This aged well

Feel like Easton Wood should be considered reasonably high in a re-draft. Not top 5 of course, but he's a premiership captain, All Australian and club B+F. I'd have him above the likes of Steven, Taylor, Hooker, Masten and Tarrant, but below Danger, Ward, Cotchin, etc.

Not sure he was good enough for long enough to be ahead of Steven, Hooker and Taylor. Probably start thinking about it around Tarrant who didn’t have as higher peaks as the others.

Not an overly inspiring year this draft has turned to be.

Dangerfield, Cotchin, Rance and Walker stand out from a profile POV.

It's your good, solid draft.

Essendon failed getting a good and respectable career out of Myers but they have done well with Hooker.

Hooker was able to go from being a bona fide spud to, at one stage, being Essendon's most important player.

Myers' body kept on failing him and, apart from a bracket of about 2 seasons, was largely ineffective.

Maybe a C- for Essendon for 2007?

Essendon failed getting a good and respectable career out of Myers but they have done well with Hooker.

Hooker was able to go from being a bona fide spud to, at one stage, being Essendon's most important player.

Myers' body kept on failing him and, apart from a bracket of about 2 seasons, was largely ineffective.

Injuries ravaged this draft for Essendon. Pears was looking fantastic before the pancreas (I think?) injury, D Daniher looked like being a good get until his OP made him retire. Although obviously that call is pretty subjective given Darcy had mostly played VFL to that point. And of course you've already mentioned Myers' injury issues. Bellchambers career has also been significantly curtailed by injury. Remember how much GWS offered him pre-foot injury?

Without those injuries, I think this would have been a stellar draft, not because of any superstars, but because we could have literally had 4 good to great (Hooker) talls and a centre player in Myers, with decent but nothing special picks. A CHB, CHF, FB and ruck. Not often you get that many good talls out of one draft using picks from after 20. As it was, it turned out to be a pretty meh draft. With the flow on impact that we had to take more talls in later drafts we could have skipped over if those talls had still been injury free.

I always laugh at people saying we should have selected Cyril over Myers in 2007. With our fitness staff Cyril would have been a crock. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming you forgot Cyril, Taylor & Ward? All pretty good profiles (especially Cyril) and all better players than Taylor Walker.

Robbie Tarrant has been a very good FB for awhile now too, deserves more credit than he gets. Jack Steven won bnfs for the Saints.

Also Ben McEvoy whilst not at the level of some of the names above has been a very good ruckman, Kreuzer...injuries ravaged him.

Hooker has been a gun for a longtime. To get him at 54 makes up for the not so impressive Myers pick. You also picked up Bellchambers in the PSD. I'd say a B/C+. Hooker alone at that pick has to get you a higher grade.

I agree, good solid draft, not amazing but still some very top-end players (Danger, Cotch, Rance, Cyril, Taylor). Rance & Danger especially helps this draft. 2 of the top 10 players of the past 6 or so years.

Not sure he was good enough for long enough to be ahead of Steven, Hooker and Taylor. Probably start thinking about it around Tarrant who didn’t have as higher peaks as the others.
Tarrant has been incredibly consistent and played at a high level for a long time now. Someone like Hooker hasn’t had a top 5 b&f finish in the last 4 years - Tarrant at the same time has gone 2nd, 4th, 3rd & 1st. His game on the weekend on Cameron was huge.

Tarrant has been incredibly consistent and played at a high level for a long time now. Someone like Hooker hasn’t had a top 5 b&f finish in the last 4 years - Tarrant at the same time has gone 2nd, 4th, 3rd & 1st. His game on the weekend on Cameron was huge.

I’d personally have Tarrant ahead of Wood. He hasn’t caught Hooker.

Tarrant has played 40 games less and didn’t come good till 2015 compared to Hooker in 2011/12. Hooker at his peaks was also dominating games from CHB being one of the best intercept/contested marks in the comp.

Tarrant does look to be aging well though so if he keeps up the high level of play I can see it evening up.

I’d personally have Tarrant ahead of Wood. He hasn’t caught Hooker.

Tarrant has played 40 games less and didn’t come good till 2015 compared to Hooker in 2011/12. Hooker at his peaks was also dominating games from CHB being one of the best intercept/contested marks in the comp.

Tarrant does look to be aging well though so if he keeps up the high level of play I can see it evening up.
Tarrant hit by injuries early and missing so many games looks like it will extend his career where as Hooker has had injury issues later in his career. I don't think there will be much between them by the time they finish.

Best draft for key defenders.

Tarrant hit by injuries early and missing so many games looks like it will extend his career where as Hooker has had injury issues later in his career. I don't think there will be much between them by the time they finish.

Best draft for key defenders.

Hookers been reasonably fit just missing a few games really hurts you in Essendon’s B&F system. The year suspension while he was still in his prime is what makes him gettable career wise for Tarrant imo.

1. Patrick Dangerfield
2. Trent Cotchin
3. Alex Rance
4. Cyril Rioli
5. Harry Taylor
6. Taylor Walker
7. Jack Steven
8. Callan Ward
9. Cale Hooker
10. Robbie Tarrant
11. Matthew Kreuzer
12. Brad Ebert
13. Scott Thompson
14. Stefan Martin
15. Shane Mumford
16. Ben McEvoy
17. Lachie Henderson
18. Easton Wood
19. Scott Selwood
20. Chris Mayne

1. Patrick Dangerfield
2. Trent Cotchin
3. Alex Rance
4. Cyril Rioli
5. Harry Taylor
6. Taylor Walker
7. Jack Steven
8. Callan Ward
9. Cale Hooker
10. Robbie Tarrant
11. Matthew Kreuzer
12. Brad Ebert
13. Scott Thompson
14. Stefan Martin
15. Shane Mumford
16. Ben McEvoy
17. Lachie Henderson
18. Easton Wood
19. Scott Selwood
20. Chris Mayne

Can see why he wouldn’t count as he’s not really a draft pick but Pearce Hanley is clear top 20 imo

1. Patrick Dangerfield
2. Trent Cotchin
3. Alex Rance
4. Cyril Rioli
5. Harry Taylor
6. Taylor Walker
7. Jack Steven
8. Callan Ward
9. Cale Hooker
10. Robbie Tarrant
11. Matthew Kreuzer
12. Brad Ebert
13. Scott Thompson
14. Stefan Martin
15. Shane Mumford
16. Ben McEvoy
17. Lachie Henderson
18. Easton Wood
19. Scott Selwood
20. Chris Mayne
Good list - I have Rance at 2. Walker and Kreuzer too high.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back