Draft Review 2010 - Revisit the 2010 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Really of the three GC key forwards (Lynch, Dixon and Day) I have him Day well behind the other two. He doesn't look to have any forward nous and relies heavily on his athleticism to make an impact. Could be a very good CHB though

Have you watched him this year? He's playing as a lead up CHF and creating so many opportunities for Lynch and now Dixon that he's back. He's excellent in traffic, he'd probably have the most score involvements for KPPs at the Suns this year and he's hitting the scoreboard when it's his turn. With a set shot like his, why would you want him to be a CHB?

You have to watch how well that Suns forward line works together. Unlike a lot of the younger forward lines in the comp, each player knows when to leap, when to stay down, when to lead their defender out away from the dangerous area. Lynch is also having an excellent season, but a lot of that has to do with Day's play.

You have to watch how well that Suns forward line works together. Unlike a lot of the younger forward lines in the comp, each player knows when to leap, when to stay down, when to lead their defender out away from the dangerous area. Lynch is also having an excellent season, but a lot of that has to do with Day's play.
This is spot on. The coordination in their forward line was a thing of beauty on the weekend. Goes a long way explaining how they beat us by so much on our deck.

Last edited:
This is spot on. Their coordination in their forward line was a thing of beauty on the weekend. Goes a long way explaining how they beat us by so much on our deck.
Yeah noticed it as well the last two weeks and was very impressed. Multiple times I'd see Day go up with Lynch right behind him blocking out the defender. Or Lynch going up and Dixon waiting down (actually crumbed a goal from this I believe). If the cohesion is this good right now, it could be scary in a couple of years.

Conca coming into some good form now following his hammy injury from last year.

Equal second in the comp for tackles (averaging 7.1 a game). Disposal can be polished a bit but still not bad (70.8% DE). Averaging 4 clearances and 4 inside 50s a game. Statistically at least, matches up very well against Libba (who leads the comp for tackles). Great inside player in the making and a smart user of the ball under pressure.

Turning out to be a decent top 10 at this stage. Pretty much all of the top 10 bar Gorringe have shown some great form.

Pretty good so far in my opinion. I have Reece Conca outside the top 10 right now, who is a very good player, so that gives you some perspective. Not one of the best though.
2001 set a pretty high standard. If there ever is another year like that I hope the Hawks trade the farm for draft picks!

Surely teams would take Bennell first at this point in time. Already a damaging player who seemingly hasn't come close to tapping his potential yet.
Almost certainly you would think. That being said, Swallow has really impressed me this year. He can pretty much do it all and it's no surprise he was rated the best player of the lot.

My Top 10 if I were to re-do based on how they've gone and their potential.
1. Harley Bennell
2. David Swallow
3. Dyson Heppell
4. Dion Prestia
5. Tom Liberatore
6. Jared Polec
7. Luke Parker
8. Jack Darling
9. Andrew Gaff
10. Reece Conca

To answer some questions before you all have a go at me.
I picked Bennell first because he has shown that can change a match on his own, i remember in something like his 12th game he had 37 touches and 3 goals in a losing team. Swallow doesn't quite look like the star he was played out to be at this stage, but that could change.
Heppell and Prestia was really the toss of a coin, both been superb and both will be guns in the future, Heppell ahead just because he had a better first season. Liberatore even though he was f/s is already the best clearance player in the AFL, but will be a machine. Polec even though was poor before this season, has shown he has what it takes to be an absolute star. Parker consistently getting 25 touches and kicking goals in one the premium midfields in the AFL. Darling best key position player in that draft to this stage. Gaff could be anything if he learns to break a tag, but hasn't learnt yet. Conca looks a really solid player but doesnt quite look like a star midfielder as of yet.

1. Harley Bennell
2. David Swallow
3. Dyson Heppell
4. Dion Prestia
5. Tom Liberatore
6. Jared Polec
7. Luke Parker
8. Jack Darling
9. Andrew Gaff
10. Reece Conca

I picked Bennell first because he has shown that can change a match on his own, i remember in something like his 12th game he had 37 touches and 3 goals in a losing team. Swallow doesn't quite look like the star he was played out to be at this stage, but that could change.
Heppell and Prestia was really the toss of a coin, both been superb and both will be guns in the future, Heppell ahead just because he had a better first season. Liberatore even though he was f/s is already the best clearance player in the AFL, but will be a machine. Polec even though was poor before this season, has shown he has what it takes to be an absolute star. Parker consistently getting 25 touches and kicking goals in one the premium midfields in the AFL. Darling best key position player in that draft to this stage. Gaff could be anything if he learns to break a tag, but hasn't learnt yet. Conca looks a really solid player but doesnt quite look like a star midfielder as of yet.

I really like the order of the first five. No love for Tommy Lynch mate? 199cm CHF who is having a breakout season. Being a CHF alone would drive his value IMO. Obvious bias here but I would have Darling at 6 due to durability then Lynch at 7 and then Polec at 8. Parker and Gaff to round out the top 10.

1. Harley Bennell
2. David Swallow
3. Dyson Heppell
4. Dion Prestia
5. Tom Liberatore
6. Jack Darling
7. Tom Lynch
8. Jared Polec
9. Luke Parker
10. Andrew Gaff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Harley Bennell
2. David Swallow
3. Dyson Heppell
4. Dion Prestia
5. Tom Liberatore
6. Jared Polec
7. Luke Parker
8. Jack Darling
9. Andrew Gaff
10. Reece Conca

He is in AA form this season, I don't know what you are expecting of him? The guy is delivering buckets right now, and will only get better. In fact he was delivering in his first season when he was playing midfield, but people like to forget that.

He is in AA form this season, I don't know what you are expecting of him? The guy is delivering buckets right now, and will only get better. In fact he was delivering in his first season when he was playing midfield, but people like to forget that.

Ignorance is bliss. Funnily enough though despite those comments he put him at number 2!

Injury held Dave back for two years. Oh, and of course he had that huge decision of whether to join his brother at North weighing him down:rolleyes:

Ignorance is bliss. Funnily enough though despite those comments he put him at number 2!

Injury held Dave back for two years. Oh, and of course he had that huge decision of whether to join his brother at North weighing him down:rolleyes:
I just think Bennell will be a better player in the future, just my opinion. If Swallow keeps up this form all season then he would probably be number 1. But injuries having been holding Bennell back as well.

I just think Bennell will be a better player in the future, just my opinion. If Swallow keeps up this form all season then he would probably be number 1. But injuries having been holding Bennell back as well.

No I agree with you too. Bennell has the freakish talent. Both exceptional though. Even though I knew Swallow was carrying injuries it came as a shock to see him moving as he is this year. He looks so much quicker.

This is how I see the top 10 going if the draft was re done (Ie teams hold same picks and needs)

1. Gold Coast: Harley Bennell. Has performed well and still has the best upside of any mid.
  2. Gold Coast: Dion Prestia. Engine room of Gold coasts midfield.
  3. Gold Coast: Sam Day. Most promising KPP in the draft.
  4. West Coast: Jack Darling. Seems settled as 40-60 goal a year forward for now, still has room for growth.
  5. Brisbane:Thomas Lynch. Polec busted at brisbane, gives them a good option to develop in the shadow of Brown.
  6. Richmond: David Swallow. No brainer here.
  7. Gold Coast: Dyson Heppell. Decent option as both a HBF and rotating mid.
  8. Essendon: Isaac Smith. Gives essendon some much needed outside speed.
  9. Gold Coast: Jared Polec. Worth taking a gamble on, replaces Caddy as the potentially homesick mid who can be moved on in a year or two if needed.
  10. Gold Coast:Andrew Gaff. Still needs polish, but is a hard running mid who would learn well under ablett.

This is how I see the top 10 going if the draft was re done (Ie teams hold same picks and needs)

1. Gold Coast: Harley Bennell. Has performed well and still has the best upside of any mid.
  2. Gold Coast: Dion Prestia. Engine room of Gold coasts midfield.
  3. Gold Coast: Sam Day. Most promising KPP in the draft.
  4. West Coast: Jack Darling. Seems settled as 40-60 goal a year forward for now, still has room for growth.
  5. Brisbane:Thomas Lynch. Polec busted at brisbane, gives them a good option to develop in the shadow of Brown.
  6. Richmond: David Swallow. No brainer here.
  7. Gold Coast: Dyson Heppell. Decent option as both a HBF and rotating mid.
  8. Essendon: Isaac Smith. Gives essendon some much needed outside speed.
  9. Gold Coast: Jared Polec. Worth taking a gamble on, replaces Caddy as the potentially homesick mid who can be moved on in a year or two if needed.
  10. Gold Coast:Andrew Gaff. Still needs polish, but is a hard running mid who would learn well under ablett.

Looking at that makes me sad. I want Swallow and Lynchy back :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back