Draft Review 2011 - Redo the 2011 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

This is my top 10 based purely on form over their career, but more importantly recent couple of seasons providing a guide for the future. Constructive criticism will be much appreciated:

1. Lachie Neale
Absolute gun, standout for Freo with the Doig Medal in a horrible season for the club. Would slide straight into any team's starting 18.

2. Stephen Coniglio
Took his game to an almost elite level this season after a mild first two seasons. Will certainly be considered in that category if he can maintain that form throughout next season.

3. Tom Mitchell
Already started for the Swans in three Grand Finals and racks up statistics. Think he will only improve his game at Hawthorn.

4. Chad Wingard
Has been a superstar of Port since 2013 and will go on to be a 250+ gamer. Puts bums on seats with his slick style of play. Mark of the Year was phenomenal.

5. Sam Docherty
Was an absolute beast down back for Carlton this season alongside Simpson. Can see him maintaining this form next year and beyond.

6. Taylor Adams
A strong 2015 was in the right direction but continuing that form into 2016, a season he proved to the game he is a very good player in a poor Collingwood wide has me thinking he will take his game to the elite level next season.

7. Toby Greene
Does like to go missing in the occasional game but he has the rare ability to hit 30+ touches and four goals in a game. Will be watching him closely as he continues to improve.

8. Jaegar O'Meara
Looked like a once in a generation type of player before his unfortunate knee issues. A perfect example of the "high risk, high reward" saying.

9. Seb Ross
Great season for the Saints this year. Can see him lifting the team further next season for a top 8 finish.

10. Rory Laird
Would be a great HBF for most, if not all teams in the comp.

Unlucky: Elliot Yeo, Bradley Hill, Mark Blicavs, Mark Baguely.

If I was picking someone to win me a final tomorrow J Patton and C Smith would be a lot higher than say Seb Ross and Laird. People should go back and look at the Prelim if they have any doubts on C Smith who was clear BOG - one of my first picked in the current premiership team. Can't believe T Dickson isn't getting more love either - just about the most accurate set shot ever.

Don't get the love for Adams. Good ordinary player with diabolical foot skills.

Seems a fairly shitty draft when you look back.

Wingard a clear stand out for mine. But for injury JOM would be a clear Num 1 can't pick him as he hasn't played for two years.

Haynes is a gun and underrated here IMO.

If I was picking to play and win a final tomorrow.

1 - Wingard
2 - Coniglio
3- Haynes
4 - Patton
5 - C Smith
6 - Mitchell
7 - Greene
8 - Neale
9 - T Dickson
10 - Docherty

This is my top 10 based purely on form over their career, but more importantly recent couple of seasons providing a guide for the future. Constructive criticism will be much appreciated:

1. Lachie Neale
Absolute gun, standout for Freo with the Doig Medal in a horrible season for the club. Would slide straight into any team's starting 18.

2. Stephen Coniglio
Took his game to an almost elite level this season after a mild first two seasons. Will certainly be considered in that category if he can maintain that form throughout next season.

3. Tom Mitchell
Already started for the Swans in three Grand Finals and racks up statistics. Think he will only improve his game at Hawthorn.

4. Chad Wingard
Has been a superstar of Port since 2013 and will go on to be a 250+ gamer. Puts bums on seats with his slick style of play. Mark of the Year was phenomenal.

5. Sam Docherty
Was an absolute beast down back for Carlton this season alongside Simpson. Can see him maintaining this form next year and beyond.

6. Taylor Adams
A strong 2015 was in the right direction but continuing that form into 2016, a season he proved to the game he is a very good player in a poor Collingwood wide has me thinking he will take his game to the elite level next season.

7. Toby Greene
Does like to go missing in the occasional game but he has the rare ability to hit 30+ touches and four goals in a game. Will be watching him closely as he continues to improve.

8. Jaegar O'Meara
Looked like a once in a generation type of player before his unfortunate knee issues. A perfect example of the "high risk, high reward" saying.

9. Seb Ross
Great season for the Saints this year. Can see him lifting the team further next season for a top 8 finish.

10. Rory Laird
Would be a great HBF for most, if not all teams in the comp.

Unlucky: Elliot Yeo, Bradley Hill, Mark Blicavs, Mark Baguely.
O'meara is 2012 I believe.

If I was picking someone to win me a final tomorrow J Patton and C Smith would be a lot higher than say Seb Ross and Laird. People should go back and look at the Prelim if they have any doubts on C Smith who was clear BOG - one of my first picked in the current premiership team. Can't believe T Dickson isn't getting more love either - just about the most accurate set shot ever.

Wingard a clear stand out for mine. But for injury JOM would be a clear Num 1 can't pick him as he hasn't played for two years.

1 - Wingard
2 - Coniglio
3- Haynes
4 - Patton
5 - C Smith
6 - Mitchell
7 - Greene
8 - Neale
9 - T Dickson
10 - Docherty

Can see your thinking in a final's type situation.

Neale for consistency could be higher, Coniglio potential number one, Patton as he is really coming good and a KPF. Hard to split the top 3-4 but all good. Loved Smith's finals serious, imagine what could have been if not for injuries.

As a port supporter didnt want to say much about chad, but hes clearly a gun and in line in the top 3 players in the draft with potential to improve in the next few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 - Wingard
2 - Coniglio
3- Haynes
4 - Patton
5 - C Smith
6 - Mitchell
7 - Greene
8 - Neale
9 - T Dickson
10 - Docherty
All Australian Toby Greene and AA 40 men squad Lachie Neale are both behind Haynes? Clay Smith is no where near the top, and Dickson above Docherty lost you alot of credibility too. Neale is a strong contender for the number 1 spot and Greene is top 5 in the AFL by position.

A better list would be (Draft redo):
1. Wingard
2. Neale
3. Conigilio
4. Greene
5. Patton
6. Docherty
7. Mitchell
8. Haynes
9. Adams
10. Tyson

Laird would be #8 if we count rookie drafts.

Adams' footskills is average but not diabolical. The reason why it looks so bad is more because of his decision making. He makes over-ambitious attempts that can create a passage of play or completely ruin the momentum, however he overestimates his accuracy and kicking penetration. I think he is currently a B grader with the potential to be one of the better B+ players. Regardless, he has the likes of Clay Smith and Tory Dickson who have shown little in their careers and were on track to be delisted covered.

All Australian Toby Greene and AA 40 men squad Lachie Neale are both behind Haynes? Clay Smith is no where near the top, and Dickson above Docherty lost you alot of credibility too. Neale is a strong contender for the number 1 spot and Greene is top 5 in the AFL by position.

A better list would be (Draft redo):
1. Wingard
2. Neale
3. Conigilio
4. Greene
5. Patton
6. Docherty
7. Mitchell
8. Haynes
9. Adams
10. Tyson

Laird would be #8 if we count rookie drafts.

Adams' footskills is average but not diabolical. The reason why it looks so bad is more because of his decision making. He makes over-ambitious attempts that can create a passage of play or completely ruin the momentum, however he overestimates his accuracy and kicking penetration. I think he is currently a B grader with the potential to be one of the better B+ players. Regardless, he has the likes of Clay Smith and Tory Dickson who have shown little in their careers and were on track to be delisted covered.

Dickson was on track to being delisted? He only has a goal per game average of 1.78 while AA small forward Toby Greene doesn't even average 1 a game. Only Wingard has a comparable average and he is considered the best player taken in this draft.

And Smith would have only been delisted if he injured his knee again. He had a season without injury and managed to be an important part of our forward line.

Dickson was on track to being delisted? He only has a goal per game average of 1.78 while AA small forward Toby Greene doesn't even average 1 a game. Only Wingard has a comparable average and he is considered the best player taken in this draft.

And Smith would have only been delisted if he injured his knee again. He had a season without injury and managed to be an important part of our forward line.
Is this for real? Greene was picked as an AA starter not only he can pick goals. He's one of the rare medium forwards who can rotate through the midfield and play that position to a very very high level too. He's creative around goals, and can set up plays via footskills. Dickson is a 1 trick pony, and he isn't even very good at the only thing he's capable of.

Is this for real? Greene was picked as an AA starter not only he can pick goals. He's one of the rare medium forwards who can rotate through the midfield and play that position to a very very high level too. He's creative around goals, and can set up plays via footskills. Dickson is a 1 trick pony, and he isn't even very good at the only thing he's capable of.

1.78 goals a game and averages 3 tackles & 2 inside 50s a game. He doesn't go through the midfield a lot because LITERALLY EVERY OTHER FORWARD IN OUR TEAM BUT HIM ROTATES THROUGH THE MIDDLE. We Even then he goes further up the ground to pick up his possessions so he isn't just camping in a forward pocket.

1.78 goals a game and averages 3 tackles & 2 inside 50s a game. He doesn't go through the midfield a lot because LITERALLY EVERY OTHER FORWARD IN OUR TEAM BUT HIM ROTATES THROUGH THE MIDDLE. We Even then he goes further up the ground to pick up his possessions so he isn't just camping in a forward pocket.
Read this again : "1.78 goals a game and averages 3 tackles & 2 inside 50s a game"

Now, did that sound impressive at all? On a premiership winning side with almost endless supply, he only averaged 1.7 goals a game and offers nothing anywhere else. He's a very 1 dimensional player with limited attributes and hasn't shown much despite taking the 3rd or 4th best opposition defender every game.

Read this again : "1.78 goals a game and averages 3 tackles & 2 inside 50s a game"

Now, did that sound impressive at all? On a premiership winning side with almost endless supply, he only averaged 1.7 goals a game and offers nothing anywhere else. He's a very 1 dimensional player with limited attributes and hasn't shown much despite taking the 3rd or 4th best opposition defender every game.

Ask an adelaide supporter how one dimensional he is. Hell, ask ALL AUSTRALIAN DEFENDER HEATH SHAW how one dimensional he is. A one dimensional forward doesn't kick 15 goals from 5 finals. He averaged more tackles and goals this finals series than your boy Toby Greene.

Ask an adelaide supporter how one dimensional he is. Hell, ask ALL AUSTRALIAN DEFENDER HEATH SHAW how one dimensional he is. A one dimensional forward doesn't kick 15 goals from 5 finals. He averaged more tackles and goals this finals series than your boy Toby Greene.
My god for a second I was hoping that you were joking for your sake. Are you seriously comparing Dickson to Greene? Having Tackles or not has nothing to do with work up the ground, which is what a half forward like Greene is meant to do.

Greene averaged 21.3 possessions, 3.7 tackles, 1.9 goals
Dickson averaged 13.5 possessions, 2.6 tackles, 1.7 goals

That's not it.
Greene has 28 goal assists for the year
Dickson has 10.

Greene has Dickson well covered in literally every area. Even Dickson's goal count is inflated due to weaker oppositions and selfishness around goals. If Greene took shots as frequently as Dickson, Greene could've easily scored 55 goals+ and close to 3 goals a game while also averaging midfielder possession numbers at the same time. This is unbearably delusional from you.

My god for a second I was hoping that you were joking for your sake. Are you seriously comparing Dickson to Greene? Having Tackles or not has nothing to do with work up the ground, which is what a half forward like Greene is meant to do.

Greene averaged 21.3 possessions, 3.7 tackles, 1.9 goals
Dickson averaged 13.5 possessions, 2.6 tackles, 1.7 goals

That's not it.
Greene has 28 goal assists for the year
Dickson has 10.

Greene has Dickson well covered in literally every area. Even Dickson's goal count is inflated due to weaker oppositions and selfishness around goals. If Greene took shots as frequently as Dickson, Greene could've easily scored 55 goals+ and close to 3 goals a game while also averaging midfielder possession numbers at the same time. This is unbearably delusional from you.
I'm not saying Dickson is a better footballer than Greene, because he's not. But it's completely hypocritical of you calling him delusional when you're downplaying a bloke that's kicked nearly 100 goals in the last two years while battling injury all season. He also averages over 3 goals a game in his career in finals. Including a bag of 5.0 in a finals loss last year. One of the best sharp shooters in the game. And will be even better next year with Crameri back.

You really need to watch more of Dickson before you form an opinion on him.

I'm not saying Dickson is a better footballer than Greene, because he's not. But it's completely hypocritical of you calling him delusional when you're downplaying a bloke that's kicked nearly 100 goals in the last two years while battling injury all season. He also averages over 3 goals a game in his career in finals. Including a bag of 5.0 in a finals loss last year. One of the best sharp shooters in the game. And will be even better next year with Crameri back.

You really need to watch more of Dickson before you form an opinion on him.
Wrong possibly, but it is not delusional to say Dickson is 1 dimensional and doesn't deserve a spot in the top 10. I still don't see anything that suggests Dickson is versatile or that he isn't a 1 trick pony. He plays similarly to John Anthony, relying on teammates to set him up, but is able to seize his chances when possible. However, he offers next to nothing up the ground, non-existent tackling pressure and very infrequently sets up his teammates opportunities. I'm arguing is that Dickson is inferior to the top 10 best players from this draft, especially Greene. What is really delusional is the WBD supporter above who claims Dickson is close to or even better than Greene, and that he apparently is everything that he's not...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back