Reduce the size of the MCC reserve

Remove this Banner Ad

I have had this argument with him as well, he just says “whatever mate, I can walk up and get into the footy just about any game” which of course is the problem!

Anyone could say the same for 90% of the games at the MCG every year. It's just that everyone loses their minds over a few empty seats in that other handful of games.

because the MCC reserve is too big for the number who attend.

You keep pushing this angle, yet it is clearly false.

Anyone could say the same for 90% of the games at the MCG every year. It's just that everyone loses their minds over a few empty seats in that other handful of games.

I would have no problem with the MCC if the area was opened to rank and file club members first for prelim and Grand Final.

I would have no problem with the MCC if the area was opened to rank and file club members first for prelim and Grand Final.

Well it won't be, so tough luck I guess.

You keep pushing this angle, yet it is clearly false.

It’s not. It’s full for one day of the year. The rest of the time there’s empty seats. Just move the fence for the GF.

Anyone would think the members was half full the other night.

There was a crowd of just under 95,000 for crying out loud.

Why do people think this is a good crowd?

It’s not.

With the size of the two clubs’ memberships, plus AFL members, MCC members who did go, an estimate of demand of around 150k isn’t ridiculous.

Conditions were perfect.

They couldn’t fill a 100k seat stadium. 5% below capacity is a fair whack. It was a poor crowd due to poor planning and seat allocation.

Anyone would think the members was half full the other night.

There was a crowd of just under 95,000 for crying out loud.

When you factor in how many no shows were seemingly tolerated elsewhere, the MCC reserve was only 1600 over it's 'acceptable' number. Not ideal, but perhaps the formula needs to be tweaked.

It’s not.

With the size of the two clubs’ memberships, plus AFL members, MCC members who did go, an estimate of demand of around 150k isn’t ridiculous.

Conditions were perfect.

They couldn’t fill a 100k seat stadium. 5% below capacity is a fair whack. It was a poor crowd due to poor planning and seat allocation.
Because it is a good crowd, anywhere in the world for any event. Not the MCC members fault that people didn’t no show in other areas of the ground. MCC members did their part in making the crowd.

It’s not. It’s full for one day of the year. The rest of the time there’s empty seats. Just move the fence for the GF.

And the rest of the ground is only full 3 or 4 times a year.

20k MCC Members (or 1/6 of total Members) weren't entitled to access during any of the finals. Guest tickets were greatly reduced in number and increased in price.

It's not an issue of supply exceeding demand, especially when the membership increases each year whilst capacity of the reserve stays the same.

It’s not too big. It’s a matter of utilisation by members.

They need some sort of system on game days that allows members to see how full the reserve is. I think a large number of members would have given it a miss because they simply thought it would be too busy.

I don't think that would work. Depending on how difficult the booking process is and when it occurs for a Friday night game, I reckon I'd just whack myself down mid-week and see how I felt on Friday.
The MCC are the ones who have the contract with Ticketek for event ticketing, not the AFL, which is why we all have to suffer through the inevitable yearly #ticketekfail events and the clubs and AFL field angry phone calls from thousands of fans but don’t really have anyway of doing anything about it as they’re mandated in their lease with the MCC that they must use the venues contracted ticketing provider.The MCC is one of TEG’s key accounts, I’m sure they would make it work very easily if they wanted to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ha. I think you'll find the vast majority of members feel quite happy with the way the club is managed.

Yep, I’m sure restricted members who wanted to go, or member who wanted to take guests, would’ve been just thrilled that the joint wasn’t even at capacity. Great planning.

It’s not too big. It’s a matter of utilisation by members.

They need some sort of system on game days that allows members to see how full the reserve is. I think a large number of members would have given it a miss because they simply thought it would be too busy.

Amateur hour. It’s 1985 at the MCC.

It’s not.

Conditions were perfect.

Of which only 2500 was the MCC. 1000 of which would be standing room. The other 2500 where were they? Where is the whinging on those seats not used?

Of which only 2500 was the MCC. 1000 of which would be standing room. The other 2500 where were they? Where is the whinging on those seats not used?

Purchased tickets that were no shows - we know this because it was a sellout. That happens and you can’t do much about it.

But tickets/seats available that weren’t utilised at all? Lunacy.

It’s clearly amateur hour at the MCC.

Use it or lose it imo.

The MCC aren't clairvoyants, they can't tell exactly how demand will be until the day, though clearly a better job could be done adapting to a shortfall on match day.

2500 people didn't turn up in other areas of the ground, it's just we're a convenient target and have been since Vlad was running the league.

ha. I think you'll find the vast majority of members feel quite happy with the way the club is managed.

Personally, I think we could do things a fraction better at big games because I'm tired of the yearly complaints. But people can sulk about walk-ups all they want, we'll never be voting against that.

every week i have to push past swathes in standing room to get to my empty seated section at Etihad. Perhaps bunk would have home games taken off the bombers?
Purchased tickets that were no shows - we know this because it was a sellout. That happens and you can’t do much about it.

But tickets/seats available that weren’t utilised at all? Lunacy.
You could have walk up seating, like they do in the MCC, that would help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back