Free to good home:
ZACH GUTHRIE
LACHIE HENDERSON
BEN JARVIS
JACOB KENNERLEY
JAMES PARSONS
SAM SIMPSON
JAKE TARCA

Some may disagree on Kennerley but I wasn't awestruck by his preseason game. Wasn't the worst but the yardstick would have to be pick 30 in the draft because that's where clubs will start passing.

Senior list reduction of 5 required so there's 9 out which makes way for 3 first round draftees and maybe a lifeline to another clubs delisted player.

Some clubs will feel a lot more pain than others and that's where I feel opportunity could strike. We have Stanley and Fort OOC. Both can only play ruck realistically. With 35 players can you afford both? Maybe go to one then cover any injury with Sav and Jenkins tag teaming? Not ideal but it allows you pick up either a promising kid delisted by another side or a pick 30 in the draft. Also consider that other clubs might look at their ruck stocks and think the same. Is Braden Preuss going to be cut loose? Would you consider cutting both fort and Stanley for him?

Also the squeeze is cash not specific spots I think so if that's the case consider that Hawkins currently takes up a million a year and is OOC. He would be in a similar cash position to CS. Does he follow the coaches lead and accept say 300k in the shorter term so we can draft a couple of extra kids?

Instead of buying a power forward we head hunt a decent ruckman. We did it with Ottens. I like Stanley but he is a living definition of inconsistency.

That was 15 full seasons ago. And it was a bit of a one off like Dangerfield - a talented player who wanted to come to Geelong. He was also only 24 at the time. Given Scott's historic contempt for ruckmen I don't see how that is going to change, or who they are going to find, particularly someone who doesn't already have major queries and/or is too old (most of our mature recruits of the last few years).

Stanley might be inconsistent, but he is by a long, long way our best ruckman. Our backup options consist entirely of Fort (solid one game sample size), or for pure comedy value, Blicavs (consistent and repeat disaster especially in finals).

GYwskRvt.jpg

If age is the concern there are a lot in the queue ahead of Stanley to go.

Rohan will also be 30 in 2021. He's rewritten the book on "never lived up to hype".
Too short to ruck.

That was 15 full seasons ago. And it was a bit of a one off like Dangerfield - a talented player who wanted to come to Geelong. He was also only 24 at the time. Given Scott's historic contempt for ruckmen I don't see how that is going to change, or who they are going to find, particularly someone who doesn't already have major queries and/or is too old (most of our mature recruits of the last few years).

Stanley might be inconsistent, but he is by a long, long way our best ruckman. Our backup options consist entirely of Fort (solid one game sample size), or for pure comedy value, Blicavs (consistent and repeat disaster especially in finals).
Totally agree that Stanley’s our best ruck.....that’s a problem.

I don't see how the first two are positives. No one forces the clubs to spend ridiculous amounts of money, and there are always going to be injuries.

If you get a 17 round season - which amazingly some seem to actually endorse - add the following:

Less interest.
Less fans.
Less money.

Not that clubs or players care about money. They do it for love.
Less games is fine by me. If we "only" play each team once, I am satiated. Then finals. Those added 5 games are skewed and unfair. That would make the competition at least fair, specially with a 2 year cycle where the reverse home grounds are played the second year. How could you not endorse that?
Why would there be less fans? With fewer games, less boredom, more people would maintain their interest both at games and viewing on TV.
Less $- less revenue but also less expenditure, players get paid a bit less, fewer injuries, less attrition.
I 100% endorse it.

Time to refresh the list

Delist 2 loyal servants in Ablett and Taylor, they will probably call it quits anyway.

Cocky has had too many chances. If he loses another year he has been on the sidelines way too long

Not sure Brownless will perform at the level

Parsons does not have enough presence

No way in hell should we de-list Ablett.

He was our 2nd leading goalscorer last year whilst averaging 20 touches, 4 marks, 4.5 tackles. That's very good for a small forward.

First game this year he had 24 touches, 4 marks and kicks 1.2.

If Ablett wants to retire, he retires. If he wants to continue, he continues.

If age is the concern there are a lot in the queue ahead of Stanley to go.

Rohan will also be 30 in 2021. He's rewritten the book on "never lived up to hype".
I'm not chucking him in the queue to go, simply saying he has no trade destination.

I'm currently just sticking with OOC players too and Rohan is contracted I think

No way in hell should we de-list Ablett.

He was our 2nd leading goalscorer last year whilst averaging 20 touches, 4 marks, 4.5 tackles. That's very good for a small forward.

First game this year he had 24 touches, 4 marks and kicks 1.2.

If Ablett wants to retire, he retires. If he wants to continue, he continues.
Yeah, he very nearly chose not to go round again for 2020 and when he did it seemed at the time like he was implying this year was his last. He'll be retiring

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, he very nearly chose not to go round again for 2020 and when he did it seemed at the time like he was implying this year was his last. He'll be retiring
The game will need someone like GAJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back