Prediction Reduced List

Remove this Banner Ad

Gogeelong

Premiership Player
Apr 14, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Iff Geelong had to cut its list to 35 payers of which 4 were new selections from the draft which players would be cut and also which ones would leave of their own accord? Keeping in mind that if they have a year off many players will leave voluntarily because they will move into other areas

Last edited:
Well you'd have to have a look at who's coming out of contract at the end of the year. If any one has a list that would be very handy.

I am betting there will be a few blokes on that list feeling very nervous.

I would think with potential reduced list sizes that it's likely they'll be between 35 - 38; essentially removing the permitted 6 available rookie spots & just running with a senior list

Not sure clubs would want to run with squads of less than 35 players.

Looking at the AFLW, they have 30 players on their lists, with 21 players named each week + 2 emergencies for an 8 game h&a season - when players are injured or out for the year, clubs can sign "train-on" players who aren't eligible for selection until there's less than 23 available players and that unfortunate does happen.

When considering that the AFL season will likely consist of 17 or 22 h&a games, Clubs would probably want a bit of insurance that they would have with list sizes between 35-38.

Last year for example we used 34 players and pretty sure there were teams that would have used more.

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/geelong-cats-news/cats-out-of-contract/

OUT-OF-CONTRACT CATS

GARY ABLETT
OSCAR BROWNLESS (r)
BRADLEY CLOSE (r)
NAKIA COCKATOO
CHARLIE CONSTABLE
DARCY FORT
ZACH GUTHRIE
TOM HAWKINS
LACHIE HENDERSON
JACK HENRY
BEN JARVIS
JACOB KENNERLEY
NATHAN KRUEGER
QUINTON NARKLE
BRANDAN PARFITT
JAMES PARSONS
BLAKE SCHLENSOG
SAM SIMPSON
RHYS STANLEY
JAKE TARCA
HARRY TAYLOR
ZACH TUOHY

On the basis that there is no season completed in 2020, I'd be offering deals to the following 11 (to work with the contracted 24):

Gaz (with ostensibly a year off, I think he could make it through - playing limited games in a forward pocket)
Constable (still part of the future, just needs to build the engine so he can run out games)
Toma (obviously)
Henry (huge potential and upside)
Jarvis (plenty of positives about him of late, potentially versatile as well)
Kennerley (clearly pushing hard through this preseason, would have probably played senior games in 2020)
Krueger (feel sure he'll be a long term senior player for us)
Narkle (key player both now and in the future)
Parf (vital mid option as the vets exit)
Stanley (still, lamentably, our best ruck option)
Tuohy (some valuable experience as the team transitions out a stack more senior players)

Of the rest...

Offering Nakia yet another contract after yet again no footy would be very difficult to justify (particularly with reduced list size).
I still rate Zuth but no opportunity to push his case in 2020 will probably hurt him.
And a number of the others are just unlucky, given they needed to play games in 2020 to potentially earn a spot for the future.

I think this list strikes the right balance, with only Gaz (real veteran, but an exceptional case), Toma, Stanley and Tuohy to be 30 or above when 2021 rolls around.

And, if you have to cull three players from this list to include ND picks, I would reluctantly lose all the vets above apart from Toma.

And that's before you even consider paying out other contracts of players you're happy to part with at the end of 2020 to potentially re-sign some other names on this list.

All of which goes to underline the shocking job it will be for our list management team to work this through at the end of 2020.

Painful and nerve-racking days ahead on that front, then, as well as all the others.

Last edited:

OUT-OF-CONTRACT CATS

GARY ABLETT
OSCAR BROWNLESS (r)
BRADLEY CLOSE (r)
NAKIA COCKATOO
CHARLIE CONSTABLE
DARCY FORT
ZACH GUTHRIE
TOM HAWKINS
LACHIE HENDERSON
JACK HENRY
BEN JARVIS
JACOB KENNERLEY
NATHAN KRUEGER
QUINTON NARKLE
BRANDAN PARFITT
JAMES PARSONS
BLAKE SCHLENSOG
SAM SIMPSON
RHYS STANLEY
JAKE TARCA
HARRY TAYLOR
ZACH TUOHY

On the basis that there is no season completed in 2020, I'd be offering deals to the following 11 (to work with the contracted 24):

Gaz (with ostensibly a year off, I think he could make it through - playing limited games in a forward pocket)
Constable (still part of the future, just needs to build the engine so he can run out games)
Toma (obviously)
Kennerley (clearly pushing hard through this preseason, would have probably played senior games in 2020)
Tuohy (some valuable experience as the team transitions out a stack more senior players)

Of the rest...

Offering Nakia yet another contract after yet again no footy would be very difficult to justify (particularly with reduced list size).
I still rate Zuth but no opportunity to push his case in 2020 will probably hurt him.
And a number of the others are just unlucky, given they needed to play games in 2020 to potentially earn a spot for the future.

I think this list strikes the right balance, with only Gaz (real veteran, but an exceptional case), Toma, Stanley and Tuohy to be 30 or above when 2021 rolls around.

And, if you have to cull three players from this list to include ND picks, I would reluctantly lose all the vets above apart from Toma.

And that's before you even consider paying out other contracts of players you're happy to part with at the end of 2020 to potentially re-sign some other names on this list.

All of which goes to underline the shocking job it will be for our list management team to work this through at the end of 2020.

Painful and nerve-racking days ahead on that front, then, as well as all the others.
My list of enforced retirements
1. Parsons not up to top level
2. Zuthrie so small he is heavy weighted out of existence
3. Fort ok week 1 but we need a real ruck at any cost
4. Jarvis Kreuger a much better option.
5. Henderson time to employ greater back mobility
6. Guthrie time to appoint young mids a position
Constable, Parfitt, Fogarty, Narkle time to shine

OUT-OF-CONTRACT CATS

GARY ABLETT
OSCAR BROWNLESS (r)
BRADLEY CLOSE (r)
NAKIA COCKATOO
CHARLIE CONSTABLE
DARCY FORT
ZACH GUTHRIE
TOM HAWKINS
LACHIE HENDERSON
JACK HENRY
BEN JARVIS
JACOB KENNERLEY
NATHAN KRUEGER
QUINTON NARKLE
BRANDAN PARFITT
JAMES PARSONS
BLAKE SCHLENSOG
SAM SIMPSON
RHYS STANLEY
JAKE TARCA
HARRY TAYLOR
ZACH TUOHY

Toma (obviously)

Of the rest...

Quite a list ...

IMO - Parsons, Tarca should have card stamped already.

- Nakia, hmm ... if and only if this hiatus sees him over his hamstring issue and even then i’d still get him to execute a couple of weeks of full, flat out training sessions - If anything less than perfect, then out, I’m afraid.

I would be very, very tempted to ditch Stanley but with only 2 rucks on the list they’d need to recruit 2 more ready to go rucks and I doubt they’ll get them. One more year. Fort has more upside.

The other three players depends on how they intend to approach 2021 -

If they are desperate to rebuild the brand and have some success, then keep the Ablett, Taylor and Tuohy, and I’d lose Zuthrie, Close and (a difficult call because I rate him) Simpson. If on otherhand they go semi rebuild (which I think they should) it is time to farewell old champs Ablett and Taylor and also Tuohy.

A conundrum to be faced, but only after everyone gets through this awful period. I wouldn’t be surprised if some on the list, including some under contract decide that it is more important to be with family in 2021 and request to be released.

Last edited:
Time to refresh the list

Delist 2 loyal servants in Ablett and Taylor, they will probably call it quits anyway.

Cocky has had too many chances. If he loses another year he has been on the sidelines way too long

Not sure Brownless will perform at the level

Parsons does not have enough presence

Retire / Let loose

NAKIA COCKATOO - he needed 2020 to get back on the field
ZACH GUTHRIE - pfft
LACHIE HENDERSON - out of luck
JAMES PARSONS - stick to VFL
SAM SIMPSON - unlikely to make it
RHYS STANLEY - hot and cold
HARRY TAYLOR - will retire of his own accord
OSCAR BROWNLESS - the surname is not enough
GARY ABLETT - 50/50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reduced list adds even more weight to a permanent 17 round season if all clubs survive this year.
Less players.
Less matches.
Less expenditure.
Less injuries.
More fair competition- again in a 2 year cycle, reverse the home and away venues

Reduced list adds even more weight to a permanent 17 round season if all clubs survive this year.
Less players.
Less matches.
Less expenditure.
Less injuries.
More fair competition- again in a 2 year cycle, reverse the home and away venues
Everything you say is a tick, vdubs.

But it ain't gonna happen.

Everything you say is a tick, vdubs.

But it ain't gonna happen.
I've got to hold onto some slim hope that there will be an AFL positive result out of all this. That to me would be the positive.

Less players.
Less matches.
Less expenditure.
Less injuries.

Less Membership cost ? I doubt

Less entertainment? Probably depends but I have doubt that any coach will change methods.

I remember when Magnum ice creams seemed a lot bigger and thicker than they are now... these days they are just a glorified choc wedge.

I guess we can hope.

Bye bye

parsons
Zuthrie
Simpson
Jarvis
Henderson
Stanley - will he traded I think.
Constable - he’s a VFL player.

If they reduce to the lists to 35 , some players will be hard done by... It depends on what they reduce the Scap to in parallel to the list numbers. 35 doesnt leave a of lot of spce for the the developemnt of players like a Jarvis.. I doubt you could carry too many that are years away from playing.

I've got to hold onto some slim hope that there will be an AFL positive result out of all this. That to me would be the positive.
It would not surprise me one little bit if any fixture re-structure results in an increase in the number of rounds, either with more midweek games, Monday night games, or the AFL again nibbling away at the start and end of the cricket season.

The initial excuse, of course, would be the desire of barrackers to see more footy after the lost season.

Retire / Let loose

NAKIA COCKATOO - he needed 2020 to get back on the field
ZACH GUTHRIE - pfft
LACHIE HENDERSON - out of luck
JAMES PARSONS - stick to VFL
SAM SIMPSON - unlikely to make it
RHYS STANLEY - hot and cold
HARRY TAYLOR - will retire of his own accord
OSCAR BROWNLESS - the surname is not enough
GARY ABLETT - 50/50

So who plays ruck then?

Less players.
Less matches.

Less expenditure.
Less injuries.

I don't see how the first two are positives. No one forces the clubs to spend ridiculous amounts of money, and there are always going to be injuries.

If you get a 17 round season - which amazingly some seem to actually endorse - add the following:

Less interest.
Less fans.
Less money.

Not that clubs or players care about money. They do it for love.

So who plays ruck then?
Instead of buying a power forward we head hunt a decent ruckman. We did it with Ottens. I like Stanley but he is a living definition of inconsistency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back