Reduced Melbourne games in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Just curious how many years since the merger, the 6 game quota has actually been met?

Purely from memory I'd say only 2 or 3 in the early years. I'm sure someone less lazy than me will look it up though.

I know it was in 2016 and 2017, which ain't early. Not sure of the complete list, but it wouldn't be high for six games in Melbourne. If you count Geelong it'd be fairly regularly met.

I know it was in 2016 and 2017, which ain't early. Not sure of the complete list, but it wouldn't be high for six games in Melbourne. If you count Geelong it'd be fairly regularly met.

Sorry, but this is one thing that really bugs the old Melb based Roy supporters. Not having a personal crack at you dlanod, but fairly regularly met is simply not good enough. It should be met every year, without question. This is not an opinion, it is fact. It’s all in clause 7.2 h. We are not asking for anything extra or over the top. We are simply asking for what was promised to the Melbourne fans. We really shouldn’t be counting Geelong either.

I don’t want to be accused of throwing the toys out of the cot or engaging in childish behaviour, so I’ll just end with a (not so) fun fact.

We have played 5 away games against Hawthorn from 2013-2019. How many of those games were played in Melbourne? None. (We finally get them in Melb this year, which is a positive for the Melb fans, but still play NM in Tassie)

This is the last I’ll say on the issue...

Until next year when the 2021 fixture arrives

Go Lions.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sorry, but this is one thing that really bugs the old Melb based Roy supporters.
Saying the rate of meeting the merger requirements "wouldn't be high for six games in Melbourne" bugs old Fitzroy supporters? Gee if they're bugged that someone points out their own point I'd hate to see them the rest of the time. :p

This is the last I’ll say on the issue...

Until next year when the 2021 fixture arrives

Go Lions.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Maybe, maybe not. Pretty sure there's no secret agenda against us, GWS have 7 Melbourne games this year, there's no reason why we can't have the same in 2021, especially as the reigning premiers :)

Maybe, maybe not. Pretty sure there's no secret agenda against us, GWS have 7 Melbourne games this year, there's no reason why we can't have the same in 2021, especially as the reigning premiers :)
GWS also have an extra game in Geelong or Ballarat too; so 8 in total in Victoria.

Sydney have 6 in Melbourne alone.

Worth noting that neither them or any other non-Victorian team has ever had any sort of agreement in place requiring them to play a certain number of games in Victoria. Brisbane does.

GWS also have an extra game in Geelong or Ballarat too; so 8 in total in Victoria.

Sydney have 6 in Melbourne alone.

Worth noting that neither them or any other non-Victorian team has ever had any sort of agreement in place requiring them to play a certain number of games in Victoria. Brisbane does.

I don't disagree with you at all. I think we can safely say that the merger agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on. Not through spite, but just changing of the business & sport landscape. There's no one to keep the afl accountable to it really, other than the afl themselves. On the flip side, how many years now have the Brisbane Lions been haemorrhaging money being propped up by the afl? Awkward situation we find ourselves in.

For me there's nothing more meaningful than seeing our team wear the actual fitzroy guernsey when playing in Melbourne. Can't get enough of it. There's nothing more appealing than history & tradition of a football club.

For me there's nothing more meaningful than seeing our team wear the actual fitzroy guernsey when playing in Melbourne. Can't get enough of it. There's nothing more appealing than history & tradition of a football club.

And July 4th this year (ironically the 24th anniverary of the announcement that Fitzroy had been ejected from the AFL competition) in the Round 16 match against Collingwood at the MCG would be the perfect opportunity to wear the red FFC jumper.

Do something with the Fitzroy Football Club. They have a bye that weekend in the VAFA.

Hard to believe it's been close to 25 years.

Hard to believe it's been close to 25 years.
It is.

People may think that those continuing to fight for Fitzroy and it’s position in the merger agreement as being hysterical but it isn’t too far removed from how I feel about the death of a sibling many years ago that you can’t help but defend and protect them. Sure many just don’t get it, but when something has been such a big an cherished part of many a people’s family including my own, then many will continue fighting.

But don’t expect those from the Fitzroy side of the family to apologise or concede those rights. Unfortunately this is the history of your club too and if you don’t like it, I simply can’t offer you anything other than to say that as a non-Victorian club, be thankful that there is a large contingent of fans outside of Brisbane that love the club just as much, if not, more than you given they’ve followed the club in whatever iteration, longer than you.

Hi guys, I'm new here, apologies if this isnt the right forum, but what video content would you love to see the club put out? Like more post-game interviews with players/coaches? More get to know the players content? More funny/joke stuff/light-hearted stuff with the players? Any other ideas of cool content from the club that you'd love to watch?

Hi guys, I'm new here, apologies if this isnt the right forum, but what video content would you love to see the club put out? Like more post-game interviews with players/coaches? More get to know the players content? More funny/joke stuff/light-hearted stuff with the players? Any other ideas of cool content from the club that you'd love to watch?
All of the above!

A Brew with Goose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going for the communications internship?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back