Reduced Melbourne games in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Depending where on the coast you are but it is more like 70-80 minutes to the GABBA which I did about 8-9 times this season.

The drive from Geelong to north western suburbs of Melbourne I did twice a week for two years and took about 80 minutes as well. The difference between the two is negligible and I’m sorry but if you are half as passionate about the club as you claim to be that drive wouldn’t be an issue.

Obviously this is dependent on individual circumstances but with the free access this year it shouldn’t be that hard to attend. I did many times as a uni student and managed to make it work.

Having said all that I also can see why only four games in Melbourne is a real downer however if you take a look at the bigger picture and not just how the fixture impacts you personally it should be seen as a great outcome for the club, even if it means you have to make a trip down the highway to get your 5 game quota.
As has been pointed out ad nauseum, it’s not just the commute, rather only having the option to sit in the worst seats at the ground in the elements. I’m sorry, but don’t make out people are lesser supporters because they demand modern comforts of normal stadiums.

And further, you say the fixture is s great outcome for the club, but was there a chance the club wasn’t getting 11 games in Brisbane and a twelfth in Queensland or am I absolutely missing something?

As has been pointed out ad nauseum, it’s not just the commute, rather only having the option to sit in the worst seats at the ground in the elements. I’m sorry, but don’t make out people are lesser supporters because they demand modern comforts of normal stadiums.
Okay not lesser supporters, but extremely precious. Didn’t you grow up watching footy in the 80’s? Not many feathered armrests to be seen in the stadiums on those replays.

As has been pointed out ad nauseum, it’s not just the commute, rather only having the option to sit in the worst seats at the ground in the elements. I’m sorry, but don’t make out people are lesser supporters because they demand modern comforts of normal
stadiums.
Okay not lesser supporters, but extremely precious. Didn’t you grow up watching footy in the 80’s? Not many feathered armrests to be seen in the stadiums on those replays.
Yeah I did, but I still sat in the stands except for the odd game when I was really young and I couldn’t see anything but most sport stadiums around the world have evolved and you get a seat, except the AFL where we have to put up with terrible outposts such as Ballarat, both Tasmanian venues, NT and Canberra. I’m sorry but in 2019 we all deserve better.

Yeah I did, but I still sat in the stands except for the odd game when I was really young and I couldn’t see anything but most sport stadiums around the world have evolved and you get a seat, except the AFL where we have to put up with terrible outposts such as Ballarat, both Tasmanian venues, NT and Canberra. I’m sorry but in 2019 we all deserve better.
Okay. GMHBA hosts major events year round but I guess you can forego your free ticket on the grounds of lack of comfort. I just personally don’t see how you can complain about the number of games but still pass up a golden opportunity to see the boys play, especially when the prices are usually $70+. You would think someone with your viewpoint would jump at every and any opportunity to go to games. Just my take.

Probably a bit off topic, but for any Victorian members considering using the extra game on somewhere other than Geelong id really recommend giving Canberra a look in. It's a lovely smaller venue, especially if you have reserved seats which will mean you're in the stands, and while the toilet facilities aren't the best it's in a nice area with bar and restaurant options nearby.

Caught one of the giants games there last year while in town to visit family and I had a great time - Canberra has really gotten more interesting and vibrant than when I was there last

Probably a bit off topic, but for any Victorian members considering using the extra game on somewhere other than Geelong id really recommend giving Canberra a look in. It's a lovely smaller venue, especially if you have reserved seats which will mean you're in the stands, and while the toilet facilities aren't the best it's in a nice area with bar and restaurant options nearby.

Caught one of the giants games there last year while in town to visit family and I had a great time - Canberra has really gotten more interesting and vibrant than when I was there last

I've always felt it had the best of both worlds; a decent stadium with a suburban feel.

That said, I wouldn't recommend general admission on the hill.

And rug up. 12 degrees in Canberra is colder than 12 degrees in Melbourne.

Unfortunately they don't play the NEAFL games at Manuka anymore, so I don't think there'll be a double header, which would have made for a great day.

I understand that AFL have total control over the fixture but I am sure the Lions can ask why they are not honoring the merger agreement that I am sure the AFL created which states the Brisbane Lions to play a MINIMUM of 6 games in MELBOURNE.

Ridiculous!

I understand that AFL have total control over the fixture but I am sure the Lions can ask why they are not honoring the merger agreement that I am sure the AFL created which states the Brisbane Lions to play a MINIMUM of 6 games in MELBOURNE.

Ridiculous!

You don't think we've ever asked?

Ridiculous!
I am sure the AFL will reply"" we have 6 games against Melbourne teams but North has chosen to play x games in Tassie and Geelong is just down the road." They just don't care. Didn't care when they sent us North and nothing has changed...........same crap each year. I think the BRISBANE Lions are doing an excellent job of including us Royboys but the AFL omgggggggg. I think this season we will rip it apart.........Go Lions

Okay. GMHBA hosts major events year round but I guess you can forego your free ticket on the grounds of lack of comfort. I just personally don’t see how you can complain about the number of games but still pass up a golden opportunity to see the boys play, especially when the prices are usually $70+. You would think someone with your viewpoint would jump at every and any opportunity to go to games. Just my take.
What free ticket? Vic Members are paying for it anyway.

Have you also bought into Swann's BS that Vic members are getting a 'free ticket' when our membership prices have not been reduced despite less games?:huh:

Astounding that anyone laps up such BS that the club are making up for the lack of games in Victoria. I am sure 95% of families would rather cheaper memberships to account for less games than a price freeze on memberships for less games so that the club can dress up their BS by giving those fans a "free ticket" that they won't use.

Continue drinking Swann's bathwater.:rolleyes:

Have you also bought into Swann's BS that Vic members are getting a 'free ticket' when our membership prices have not been reduced despite less games?:huh:

Astounding that anyone laps up such BS that the club are making up for the lack of games in Victoria. I am sure 95% of families would rather cheaper memberships to account for less games than a price freeze on memberships for less games so that the club can dress up their BS by giving those fans a "free ticket" that they won't use.

That's possibly the worst way to finish a post if you want to be taken seriously by anybody.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right, the ticket is included where in the price where previous years it hasn’t been. Whatever you want to call it it’s actually a gesture by the club whether you want to acknowledge it or not. To me it seems like you are emotionally invested in the club when it comes to criticising but you seem to lack dedication to actually going to games (and after match functions, if I recall correctly).

Last edited:
As said depending on weather on the day we prob go Geelong night game. 90+ min drive there and back.
Like the Rat game this year depends on weather.. young twin boys do not do well with bad chests and cold.
Funny I look at the fixture think might do cats game .. Prob a lock for the two games at the G
Then I look at the docklands games and go ummm maybe.
Apart from having the atmosphere of a dirty sponge, getting nose bleed seats while the bottom two decks empty. Food prices and lack of places open.
Last couple of games Metro either stopped trains around the loop on my line or replaced with buses :)

So maybe I should ask for 6 games a year not at Docklands he he he

Right, the ticket is included where in the price where previous years it hasn’t been. Whatever you want to call it it’s actually a gesture by the club whether you want to acknowledge it or not. To me it seems like you are emotionally invested in the club when it comes to criticising but you seem to lack dedication to actually going to games (and after match functions, if I recall correctly).
I’m so not dedicated that I go to all Melbourne, Geelong (as much as I hate it there) Perth and a minimum of two Brisbane games each year, not to mention Launceston about 3 times including last years game, so no, not overly dedicated.

Also throw in a couple of functions and yep, still not dedicated. Yes I bailed the HOF dinner and no I don’t go to family days or training sessions.

So if that makes me or anyone else not dedicated, then so be it.

And further, you say the fixture is s great outcome for the club, but was there a chance the club wasn’t getting 11 games in Brisbane and a twelfth in Queensland or am I absolutely missing something?

Dylan when Brisbane based fans go to metricon we get the worst seats in the house. Eastern side with afternoon sun belting down. Almost impossible to see the ground at times as the glare is so bad. I still go but because i’d rather see them live every chance I get.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As said depending on weather on the day we prob go Geelong night game. 90+ min drive there and back.
Like the Rat game this year depends on weather.. young twin boys do not do well with bad chests and cold.
Funny I look at the fixture think might do cats game .. Prob a lock for the two games at the G
Then I look at the docklands games and go ummm maybe.
Apart from having the atmosphere of a dirty sponge, getting nose bleed seats while the bottom two decks empty. Food prices and lack of places open.
Last couple of games Metro either stopped trains around the loop on my line or replaced with buses :)

So maybe I should ask for 6 games a year not at Docklands he he he
I prefer Marvel games.....eyes r bit dodgey for the big MCG now........Marvel a much better viewing ground if the roof is closed with transport or carpark very close. I have 4 grown sons n 4 grand kids and they r not fussed which ground we play at. Use ur powers of persuasion and u can usually talk urself n family into ground level as the ground is normally only 1/2 full.....things may change this season.

I’m so not dedicated that I go to all Melbourne, Geelong (as much as I hate it there) Perth and a minimum of two Brisbane games each year, not to mention Launceston about 3 times including last years game, so no, not overly dedicated.

Also throw in a couple of functions and yep, still not dedicated. Yes I bailed the HOF dinner and no I don’t go to family days or training sessions.

So if that makes me or anyone else not dedicated, then so be it.
...yet you won’t go to Geelong with a paid for ticket and continue to tag kn the club at every turn? Okay.

Swans got six Melbourne games, they are boasting about it on their site. "Two cities, one team".

Lucky them. Unfortunately we weren't as lucky as some in that regards to the fixture.

Continue drinking your own, and lashing out at anyone who won't have a sip with you :rolleyes:

It is possible to not like something without being outraged.... well for most people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back