blackers

All Australian
Jan 4, 2002
Kowloon Tong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, Denver Broncos, Liverpool
Email from the club this afternoon, confirming that Victorian memberships will not be any cheaper in 2020, despite only admitting to four games.

That's $190 for four adult general admissions, which would cost $108 at the gate. So that's $82 for the right to buy finals tickets and a hat.

Their peace offering is to offer a reserved seat at one of Geelong, Canberra or Hobart. I could just about see myself going to Geelong, except it's a Saturday night game so that makes it impractical to take the kids, as I won't get home until midnight.

I want to support my club but it'd be nice not to feel like an idiot for doing so.

By contrast, I have a five game family membership for my local NBL team that cost $250.

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I actually thought it was a good front foot acknowledgement by the club and would have required a bit of negotiation to make it happen. Our membership does inside six games at the Gabba, not that it's that practical.

Being a member of the tribe is more important to me than just cheap tickets and I think there was a lot of positives about the fixture for the club.

But it's still a bit sad...

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Email from the club this afternoon, confirming that Victorian memberships will not be any cheaper in 2020, despite only admitting to four games.

That's $190 for four adult general admissions, which would cost $108 at the gate. So that's $82 for the right to buy finals tickets and a hat.

Their peace offering is to offer a reserved seat at one of Geelong, Canberra or Hobart. I could just about see myself going to Geelong, except it's a Saturday night game so that makes it impractical to take the kids, as I won't get home until midnight.

I want to support my club but it'd be nice not to feel like an idiot for doing so.

By contrast, I have a five game family membership for my local NBL team that cost $250.
The club, Greg Swann and Lions_Insider take us all down in Melbourne as a pack of mugs.

Following the first year in a decade when support at our Melbourne games was at an all time high and rivalling the number of supporters our Melbourne rival (North and St Kilda), the life is then sucked right out of the Victorian supporter base with a paltry four games. Once we are “rewarded” for the first game (EAD Greg Swann), we get a whole three games for the remainder of the year.

What, we are offered some token BS offer of a free ticket to some other shitbox game where the seats and viewing experience is deplorable.

Swann’s email in response to anger generated well after the release of the fixture was such a pathetic attempt st damage control.

But the final insult is then keeping the prices the same for Victorian fans. You can already predict that when the uptake isn’t great (why should it be) and Victorian membership numbers dropped that it will then be used against Victorian fans that the numbers don’t support whatever narrative they feel like spewing out.

Way to suck the life out of the Victorian supporter base Brisbane Lions.:rolleyes:

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The club, Greg Swann and Lions_Insider take us all down in Melbourne as a pack of mugs.

Following the first year in a decade when support at our Melbourne games was at an all time high and rivalling the number of supporters our Melbourne rival (North and St Kilda), the life is then sucked right out of the Victorian supporter base with a paltry four games. Once we are “rewarded” for the first game (EAD Greg Swann), we get a whole three games for the remainder of the year.

What, we are offered some token BS offer of a free ticket to some other shitbox game where the seats and viewing experience is deplorable.

Swann’s email in response to anger generated well after the release of the fixture was such a pathetic attempt st damage control.

But the final insult is then keeping the prices the same for Victorian fans. You can already predict that when the uptake isn’t great (why should it be) and Victorian membership numbers dropped that it will then be used against Victorian fans that the numbers don’t support whatever narrative they feel like spewing out.

Way to suck the life out of the Victorian supporter base Brisbane Lions.:rolleyes:

Bahah I hadn’t seen you in a while Dylan, but I predicted you’d be back after I saw the seasons schedule with 5 games in Melbourne.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Do you really have to tag LI into everything you post about this Dyl?
Whoever he or she is, doesn’t need to be dragged into the same message time and time again just for your satisfaction.
We all get that you are not happy!

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Do you really have to tag LI into everything you post about this Dyl?
Yes I do.

The club needs to hear from its minority supporter base, which I'm sure they wish they probably never had.

Seems they only leverage that supporter base and history whenever its convenient.

Half the articles when they're discussing club / player stats conveniently omit those from the Fitzroy side.

If the club doesn't want it, then de-merge the club and go back to being the Bears.

Yes I do.

The club needs to hear from its minority supporter base, which I'm sure they wish they probably never had.

Seems they only leverage that supporter base and history whenever its convenient.

Half the articles when they're discussing club / player stats conveniently omit those from the Fitzroy side.

If the club doesn't want it, then de-merge the club and go back to being the Bears.
In relation to articles - In the last 2 years I actually think the club is making a concerted effort to rectify that.
All articles lately if stats based, or player records and things like that all recognise those of both past and present.

I also think that you need to recognise that the club is doing all it can to engage with both supporter bases as best they can.

Since the new administration has come on board the Club as a whole is working together in a way that should, and I think, has brought us all together as 1.

I agree that it would have been nice for there to have been atleast 1 more Melbourne game and as others have pointed out. The North game is the one where the AFL has missed the opportunity.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
In relation to articles - In the last 2 years I actually think the club is making a concerted effort to rectify that.
All articles lately if stats based, or player records and things like that all recognise those of both past and present.

I also think that you need to recognise that the club is doing all it can to engage with both supporter bases as best they can.

Since the new administration has come on board the Club as a whole is working together in a way that should, and I think, has brought us all together as 1.

I agree that it would have been nice for there to have been atleast 1 more Melbourne game and as others have pointed out. The North game is the one where the AFL has missed the opportunity.
No they don't.

I have pointed out plenty in the past 12 months and tagged in Lions Insider into those posts, so you're wrong.

As for the rest, the club has lost all goodwill and momentum with the Victorian Lions community after this fixture.In the middle of the year, Melbourne fans have a 3 month break between games, but we have been rewarded with the opening game. That certainly makes up for everything Greg Swann. :rolleyes:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Very unfortunate that the AFL has only scheduled 4 games in Melbourne, I feel for the Melbourne based Lions fans, it definitely sucks but I'm sure Swann and co have done and will continue to lobby for more Melbourne games.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
Very unfortunate that the AFL has only scheduled 4 games in Melbourne, I feel for the Melbourne based Lions fans, it definitely sucks but I'm sure Swann and co have done and will continue to lobby for more Melbourne games.
Judging by his interview on SEN, I don’t think he has.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Swann and Co. has contempt for the Lions base in Melbourne, so I don't believe that for a second.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Judging by his interview on SEN, I don’t think he has.
Swann and Co. has contempt for the Lions base in Melbourne, so I don't believe that for a second.
What would be Swann and the club as a whole motivation for not sincerely wanting as many away games as possible in Melbourne. It makes great footy business sense to do so, I can't see us wanting to play games in Perth, Adelaide, Sydney and Tasmania over Melbourne.

Everyone remember, Dylan is the official spokesperson for the entire Victorian supporter base. Also remember that Swann & Co are really undercover moles who dont care aboit anything but counting their money and twirling their moustache. They dont care about the members, it was a secret plan to play really well and rise to his secret position of AFL fixture organiser just to take away games from the Victorian fans.

Aug 6, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
I get that the competition has changed over the years since the merger agreement. There are more interstate clubs, and more Melbourne teams selling home games. However, GWS receiving 7 Melbourne games along with one in Geelong shows us that the AFL and Brisbane are capable of still honouring and even exceeding the merger agreement. This year's fixture again shows us that we are but an afterthought, simply dismissed by a weak apology every time it happens.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
What would be Swann and the club as a whole motivation for not sincerely wanting as many away games as possible in Melbourne. It makes great footy business sense to do so, I can't see us wanting to play games in Perth, Adelaide, Sydney and Tasmania over Melbourne.
The sooner Swann is moved on the better. That would be reward for Lions fans in Victoria.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Everyone remember, Dylan is the official spokesperson for the entire Victorian supporter base.

That's correct and one of the few that doesn't pander to everything the club does and drinks its bathwater like most do.

Listen to Swann's interview, proud as punch with himself, like he always is. No sympathy at all for the Victorian fans or no sense of disappointment at the lack of games down here.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
The sooner Swann is moved on the better. That would be reward for Lions fans in Victoria.
You didn't answer the question D12, why would Swann and the club not want to play as many away games as possible in Melbourne? I just can't fathom why they would rather play elsewhere when we travel.

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
i posted this on another forum but i will do it here. Can someone please advise since the merger the last time we had a fixture where we only had 4 games in Melbourne.?

The Zork

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It’s pretty flattening. One of my favourite times of the year is fixture day where I can map out the games i can get to for the season.

I’ll still buy my Vic membership but only because I will get up to the Gabba for a few games.

While they might not be 100% to blame, it would be a good idea for the club to conjure up ways of making up to the Melbourne fans/members this season for the lack of game exposure we’ve been dealt.

i posted this on another forum but i will do it here. Can someone please advise since the merger the last time we had a fixture where we only had 4 games in Melbourne.?
Pretty sure someone had it on a post here somewhere, was maybe 2013 iirc.

That's correct and one of the few that doesn't pander to everything the club does and drinks its bathwater like most do.

Listen to Swann's interview, proud as punch with himself, like he always is. No sympathy at all for the Victorian fans or no sense of disappointment at the lack of games down here.

He should be proud as punch. The club was a basket case before he got here, and now we are hosting Blockbuster high drawing games at home and actually turning a profit. But you are right, quicker he leaves the better. Such a bad operator.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back