Reduced Melbourne games in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans have 10,000 Vic members. I agree that our fixture is well below what Vic members should expect this year but the swans aren’t the right comparison. GWS having 8 is ludicrous.
Had no idea they had any where near many!! Yep 8 to GW’s a joke

What free ticket? Vic Members are paying for it anyway.

Have you also bought into Swann's BS that Vic members are getting a 'free ticket' when our membership prices have not been reduced despite less games?:huh:

Astounding that anyone laps up such BS that the club are making up for the lack of games in Victoria. I am sure 95% of families would rather cheaper memberships to account for less games than a price freeze on memberships for less games so that the club can dress up their BS by giving those fans a "free ticket" that they won't use.

Continue drinking Swann's bathwater.:rolleyes:
Swann has done a great job for the BRISBANE LIONS.Small minded people think otherwise.If you need a reminder it is The Brisbane Lions.No mention of Fitzroy.They play in the minor leagues.Where you belong throwing your toys out of the sandpit.Grow up

Dylan when Brisbane based fans go to metricon we get the worst seats in the house. Eastern side with afternoon sun belting down. Almost impossible to see the ground at times as the glare is so bad. I still go but because i’d rather see them live every chance I get.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I can vouch for that.

I didn't make the Metricon game this season (only due to family commitments) but I did go to the night game in 2018 (Round22)

Whilst I got the "free" train there and back, it comes at a significant travelling time cost. The return trip (after an approximate 10pm game finish) is a tough slog. Bus link from the stadium back to Nerang Train Station. Followed by the train trip back to Station of origin and then drive home. Bottom line is we didn't get home till well after midnight and feeling absolutely buggered.

And although there are "reciprocal" rights between GC and the Lions (ie get in free to each other's away games), I know well that Lions members are treated like lepers at Metricon. There's no sneaking past their officious "guards" either, who are strategically placed at every entrance point to their precious grandstand seats.
Nope, if you even look remotely like a Lions sympathiser, they pretty much demand to see your "papers". If you're not a bona fide card carrying member of the Gold Coast Suns Party then off you go to row with the slaves in the shittiest viewing spot in the ground. These GC Nazis I had the "pleasure" of encountering also seemed to enjoy with great glee, pointing out to me where the Lions "area" of the ground was.:mad:

What the hell though.

Like you I'll do it again next time too.

Last edited:
Swans got six Melbourne games, they are boasting about it on their site. "Two cities, one team".

Very impressive by Sydney. A club that actually recognises its uniqueness and is proud of it.

Pity the same can’t be said of Brisbane who are even more unique in being a two city team, yet refuse to embrace unless they want to roll it out at any random time to suit their narrative.

I love the idea the Lions were rewarded with FTA games and Blockbuster games ahead of a 6 game fixture in Melbourne as if it were some sinister plot against our Vic members.

We play Richmond, Hawthorn and Collingwood on Thursday/Friday and have FTA games with Geelong, Hawthorn, Carlton & St Kilda. And this is the AFL honouring our requests?? Yeah right. We are the second act to major draw card VFL teams in nearly every circumstance. There is no way in hell we are the main act in any of those games.

I'm not in anyway diminishing our right or our deserving to play those games after our season, or that those teams don't provide our best chance of ratings/gate takings but to suggest that the club or the AFL has pandered to those requests ahead of 6 games in Victoria is as farcical as it gets. The idea somehow ignores the idea that those clubs requested playing us or that the AFL doesn't see the biggest financial rewards for themselves?

Plenty of supporters have to travel to see a game anywhere when it comes to the Lions. I live 1000km from Brisbane and know plenty of others who are in similar situations. The outrage at having to travel to Geelong or Ballarat or even Tassie from Melbourne makes me laugh year after year. If it doesn't suit don't go. Don't make a federal case out of it. Nor spew bile at the club.

I genuinely understand the hurt I really do. Especially since that initial request was sanctioned by the AFL in the merger document. But it's also the AFL ignoring that document not the club. And after 20 plus years, changes in corporate structure, the competition itself, numerous broadcast contracts and increased entities it's impossible to think that document holds anything other than goodwill by now in many aspects. And even if it was challenged the likely outcome would be compensation to the club not more games in Melbourne for "justifiable logistical reasons".

I get the disappointment but thats what it should be, not anger and vitriol, especially directed at those who have little control over it. Without anyone here actually witnessing or being privy to the negotiations personally, attacking the club or it's staff is undeserved and unjustified.

I empathise with our Victorian members but I'm gobsmacked at the venting against the Club in general and Swann in particular.

Last time I looked, the AFL set the Fixture and the venues.

Surely no-one seriously believes that Swann and the Lions actually lobbied for all those games over the rest of Australia and only 4 games in Melbourne????

Probably not.

But the attitude seems to be that Swann/the Club aren't "protesting" hard enough and so are complicit in some way with the AFL.

What do you want?

Swann , Fagan and Noble to superglue themselves to the bitumen outside AFL headquarters?

I agree in part and have commented several times saying the club shouldn't be punished. Only thing is, the club didn't even note it upon release until the s**t hit the fan. They have the fixture a few days before we do and it feels like they didn't even notice initially. I think that makes Vic members feel like it's not something firmly in their radar, I doubt the mentioned it in their wish list.

Good news is, it will be now and I bet we have 6-7 Vic games next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez you'd be licking ur lips if you were a GWS member down here.

$150 Vic Membership gives access to:

R2 vs Melb MCG Sat arvo
R4 vs Ess Marv Sat night
R7 vs Rich MCG Sat arvo
R12 vs Carl Marv Sat night
R13 vs WB Marv Sat night
R16 vs NM Marv Sun arvo
R18 vs Haw MCG Sat arvo

We need lessons from GWS on how to negotiate..

Us members down here would be paying twice the price as them per game!!

#Reemed

Geez you'd be licking ur lips if you were a GWS member down here.

$150 Vic Membership gives access to:

R2 vs Melb MCG Sat arvo
R4 vs Ess Marv Sat night
R7 vs Rich MCG Sat arvo
R12 vs Carl Marv Sat night
R13 vs WB Marv Sat night
R16 vs NM Marv Sun arvo
R18 vs Haw MCG Sat arvo

We need lessons from GWS on how to negotiate..

Us members down here would be paying twice the price as them per game!!

#Reemed

GWS don't have to negotiate with the AFL, they are owned by the AFL. 💰

cartoon1171.jpg

Dylan can be overzealous at times and sometimes the angst is misdirected, even unfairly so, BUT without the 'Dylans' of our supporter base, the Fitzroy connections would be quickly dismissed.
A lot who are critical, and particularly anyone making Metricon comparisons are missing the point. Fitzroy supporters have every right to be filthy. I suspect a lot of those who don't want to hear about it weren't Lions supporters before 1996. Imagine your club being run into the ground and then taken from you, with one of the very few trade offs being the promise of 6 games a year, only to be given 4.
There is nothing wrong with wanting the club to be more vocal about it, even if it has little chance of making a difference. Little hope of change, shouldn't be a reason for silence, and it certainly doesn't diminish the hurt and disappointment. It would be some reassurance if the club demonstrated the same pain and disappointment for those who feel that.

That said, it should be noted that in all likelihood, the club has been silenced by the AFL. Like it or not, we are entirely dependent on AFL money and support. Without it, we'd be sunk. They have the absolute power to relegate us to crappy Sunday twilight games and no TV coverage (as we've seen). I would hope/think it is more likely that the AFL has told the club that "You will get this & that, but FFS shut up about the Melbourne games thing". Economic reality is that the club probably has to be low key, rather than choose to be on this subject.
Still, I support Dylan's right to harp on & express his anger. If you don't want to hear/read it, just don't. There is no doubting his passion for this club or his fellow supporters. To suggest he should support a different one, closer to home, is pretty disrespectful. He doesn't have to respectful to the administrators of the club. The club is ours, not any administrator, manager, coach or player (with the exception of a small few). It's his club and ours.

Dylan, you should email the club with your complaint (try to keep it civil). If members/supporters don't make a noise about things of which we disagree, then some manager or administrator makes decisions based purely on business or their own agenda. Remember the paddlepop guernsey?

Dylan can be overzealous at times and sometimes the angst is misdirected, even unfairly so, BUT without the 'Dylans' of our supporter base, the Fitzroy connections would be quickly dismissed.
A lot who are critical, and particularly anyone making Metricon comparisons are missing the point. Fitzroy supporters have every right to be filthy. I suspect a lot of those who don't want to hear about it weren't Lions supporters before 1996. Imagine your club being run into the ground and then taken from you, with one of the very few trade offs being the promise of 6 games a year, only to be given 4.
There is nothing wrong with wanting the club to be more vocal about it, even if it has little chance of making a difference. Little hope of change, shouldn't be a reason for silence, and it certainly doesn't diminish the hurt and disappointment. It would be some reassurance if the club demonstrated the same pain and disappointment for those who feel that.

That said, it should be noted that in all likelihood, the club has been silenced by the AFL. Like it or not, we are entirely dependent on AFL money and support. Without it, we'd be sunk. They have the absolute power to relegate us to crappy Sunday twilight games and no TV coverage (as we've seen). I would hope/think it is more likely that the AFL has told the club that "You will get this & that, but FFS shut up about the Melbourne games thing". Economic reality is that the club probably has to be low key, rather than choose to be on this subject.
Still, I support Dylan's right to harp on & express his anger. If you don't want to hear/read it, just don't. There is no doubting his passion for this club or his fellow supporters. To suggest he should support a different one, closer to home, is pretty disrespectful. He doesn't have to respectful to the administrators of the club. The club is ours, not any administrator, manager, coach or player (with the exception of a small few). It's his club and ours.

Dylan, you should email the club with your complaint (try to keep it civil). If members/supporters don't make a noise about things of which we disagree, then some manager or administrator makes decisions based purely on business or their own agenda. Remember the paddlepop guernsey?
Post of the week. :thumbsu:

I see someone is drinking Dylan’s bath water.

Can’t believe anyone would believe his posting or harassing media interns or sledging our own players is constructive.

I’m not saying this to be controversial, but why doesn’t Geelong count as a game in Melbourne. Personally while I live in Brisbane I count games at Metricon as a game I go watch live. It’s an hour down the highway not too different to Geelong really.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Because you are stuck in the middle of 99% of Geelong feral supporters s**t ground to get too and crap seats given to choose
Ballarat much better option against Dogs, also we need exposure at G for finals no use not knowing the ground and playing in front of big crowds

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back