Reduced Melbourne games in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, AFL handing out freebies I can't see, but I can see that with the corporates - "Oh, we're based out of Sydney so go GWS! Oh, we're based out of Melbourne so go Richmond!"
Super off topic mate: Wonder if subsidised something. We all know they give away lots of free tickets for GWS local games
Seeing even Pies and Blues supporter mates I have hate GWS and where go tigers. There was to much orange in crowd if someone not giving away crap.

Super off topic mate: Wonder if subsidised something. We all know they give away lots of free tickets for GWS local games

Free tickets to a home and away game (~$30 or less) is substantially different to free/discount tickets to the GF ($300+). Every GWS member I know who went paid full price (plus airfares/fuel/accom) to go.

Again, can't speak as to the corporate tickets - I can see a plausible reasoning there as to random blow-ins deciding to go for GWS and getting a token piece of gear - but that'd be true of any given year.

Seeing even Pies and Blues supporter mates I have hate GWS and where go tigers. There was to much orange in crowd if someone not giving away crap.

I was there. There was a surprising amount of orange to me but I'd say it was probably only about 10% of the crowd, so ~10k - it did stand out simply because it was orange. The AFL members were almost completely Richmond, an entire wing, and the other wing (MCC members) was predominately Richmond with scattered pockets of nothing.

If you're watching on TV it wouldn't surprise me if they showed shots of GWS bays disproportionately because the coverage likes to show both reactions to game play but that's not representative of overall numbers.

After such a great 2019 on and off the field for the club.. as a Vic Member the four games at same member prices for 2020 is very deflating and a big step back. My seven year old son loves going to the footy and is mad over the Lions so you can imagine he's disappointment that he only gets to go to four games - no way we can get to Geelong on a Saturday night and he has footy himself first thing Sunday morning.

I honestly think the club needed to push the AFL a lot harder on this issue. Fitzroy supporters have every right to be filthy. Our club was taken from us and many followed them when they merged and many didn't. The least we can expect is the AFL to at least honour the agreement.

I will no doubt buy Membership for myself and my son to continue our support but it does leave a sour taste.

Last edited:
Is there a three game Melbourne membership on offer, if not there should be.
I pay for a full season most years as a Brisbanite, but if I thought I was not going to be at a number of the games I would and have gone for 3 game memberships.
2018 we ended up getting two 3 game memberships for myself and my son, that worked out pretty good, economically speaking.
After all its your hard earned, and the Lions aren't the rspca .

Is there a three game Melbourne membership on offer, if not there should be.
I pay for a full season most years as a Brisbanite, but if I thought I was not going to be at a number of the games I would and have gone for 3 game memberships.
2018 we ended up getting two 3 game memberships for myself and my son, that worked out pretty good, economically speaking.
After all its your hard earned, and the Lions aren't the rspca .
I mentioned this before a 2-3 game in previous years as with young kids and sports I end up not getting to all.
Club needs to purchase tickets in Melb.. We not a home side..
I say it gets messy.

After such a great 2019 on and off the field for the club.. as a Vic Member the four games at same member prices for 2020 is very deflating and a big step back. My seven year old son loves going to the footy and is mad over the Lions so you can imagine he's disappointment that he only gets to go to four games - no way we can get to Geelong on a Saturday night and he has footy himself first thing Sunday morning.

I honestly think the club needed to push the AFL a lot harder on this issue. Fitzroy supporters have every right to be filthy. Our club was taken from us and many followed them when they merged and many didn't. The least we can expect is the AFL to at least honour the agreement.

I will no doubt buy Membership for myself and my son to continue our support but it does leave a sour taste.
Went to renew our Vic membership package and it was $ 10 dearer than last years price? We questioned as we were advised it was the same price as this year but was advised the member upgrade has gone up by $ 10.

Went to renew our Vic membership package and it was $ 10 dearer than last years price? We questioned as we were advised it was the same price as this year but was advised the member upgrade has gone up by $ 10.
Yep noticed September member was $50 for next season, could have sworn it was $40 this season.

Dodongo can understand the hate of traveling to Geelong from our Victorian supporters.

Dodongo would hate to travel to that hell hole of a place and deal with those ferals.

I mentioned this before a 2-3 game in previous years as with young kids and sports I end up not getting to all.
Club needs to purchase tickets in Melb.. We not a home side..
I say it gets messy.
Ok , maybe not ideal for your circumstances regarding the random kids commitments with sport and school .
If it is on offer may work for the members who can commit to 3 games and stick with those games.
I know when we had our 3 gamers you could change your games around, as long as there was enough notice.
I get this may and would be different and more difficult to offer for the Vic memberships.

Increasing it by $10, and approximately 10,000 members would be September members I'm assuming, that's an additional $100,000. If not more, with more people signing up next year.
There is a limited number though.
And pretty sure they sold out towards the back end of the year.
Might be capped at 7500 I think 🤔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were September memberships available until the closure of memberships last year. There was much lamenting on here about them potentially selling out but no announcement was made.

Hi
I am new to this so please be kind😀
I email Greg swan to ask the reason why only 6 games in Melbourne
as to merge agreement and was told he is on holidays Mmmm and got
a guy call Ben email back telling a load of rubbish as why it happen.
The only reason he email me was I said if you don’t get back to me I will
not renew my vic membership
1 the afl talk to all clubs as to fixture wants before season then the club informs afl so don’t think it all afl doing I know I called afl and club they both
blamed each other

2 the club needs to understand that we have many thousands members in melb and not meeting merge arrangements will put off melb members
3 as I said to them in my email that I think the afl want a American system
fixture just like the aflw and and less games in Melbourne is a way of conditioning the members for changes
the club did not respond ,which makes me think I hit the nail on the head
4 if the lions are going bad as to finances they will drop games in Melbourne
As I believe it cost the club money to have members in Melbourne

We as old Fitzroy people have work so hard to just get history
Honor and as I said in email that 2019 season the club
Made big in roads for old Fitzroy people but now a very
sad and disappointed result

Fitzroy 1996 ( yes I was there as a member)

It's not a sonnet, it's not haiku, it's not an epic, it's not a limerick, comes close to being a narrative, definitely not a couplet, certainly not acrostic so what is it? :)

It's not a sonnet, it's not haiku, it's not an epic, it's not a limerick, comes close to being a narrative, definitely not a couplet, certainly not acrostic so what is it? :)
A new medium? Drunk text Homeric epic

I forgot to mention I said in my email to club make up
for less games in Melbourne that club play in the
1996 jumper with ffc on chest
as a way to please the
vic members off course no response from club

I can see why the Club didn't respond to that. The Club is not Fitzroy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back