Skills Reducing/reversing kicking 'hook'

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Hi,
I've given myself the challenge of kicking a goal from more or less in line with the goal posts, with a drop punt, on the side of the ground with my kicking foot on the boundary side, and I reckon I'm more of a chance to kick one from behind the goals on the other side such is the hook I'm getting. Obviously it's sort of tricky to upload videos of my particular kicking style, but what are some common mistakes that lead to this, and how can I fix this?
Cheers

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
gotta load a vid here, impossible to suggest anything without it because it could be how your leg swings from the hip, your foot angle at ball contact, run up, ball drop or 50 other things i can't think of without seeing it

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
It'll be your follow through "hooking" or your ball drop going onto the inside of the ball, try to make sure you follow through straight, can help by trying to land on the kicking foot, can lose some distance but will help with the ball not hooking. With the ball drop make sure its low enough and really watch it onto your foot and the seam is straight.

Phantom is correct.

Will either be 1. Your follow through action or 2. Your ball drop (dropping it inside your leg)

Always kick through the ball.
Your ball drop should be the same EVERYTIME
This may need experimenting with - everyone holds it different (look at Fev, Lloyd, Capper, Locket, Dunstall)
Hold the ball in your fingers but not tight in a clamp or clutching it.
Try using a glove on your left hand (if you are right footed) to help you NOT grip the ball too tight.
WATCH THE BALL ONTO YOUR BOOT. Don't look at the goals, your opponent or the crowd when about to kick.

Back