Toast Reece Conca - Welcome to Freo!

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he has cult hero written all over him at the moment. Love those workhorse type players who dont mind roughing up the oppo teams. Could prove to be very valuable

Antoni Grover maybe. Solid workhorse but ultimately warming the seat for a better player.

Grover a seat warmer? I understand the comparison with being a great clubman, but if Conca can punch above his weight like Groves did, I will be stoked. Grover was pretty underrated IMO, I remember games when McPharlin was out but Grover stood up and took the in-form opposition tall out of the game

Your description "Solid workhorse but ultimately warming the seat for a better player" sounds more like Steven Dodd ;)

wtfreaction.gif
wtfreaction.gif
Looking good Dardy

Grover a seat warmer? I understand the comparison with being a great clubman, but if Conca can punch above his weight like Groves did, I will be stoked. Grover was pretty underrated IMO, I remember games when McPharlin was out but Grover stood up and took the in-form opposition tall out of the game

Your description "Solid workhorse but ultimately warming the seat for a better player" sounds more like Steven Dodd ;)
Grover was awesome. Bloody miss those types sometimes. Real goers

Yeah fair enough, was just trying to think of who he had in mind since it obviously wasn't Haydos. Grover definitely punched above his weight, as did Shane Parker and the Driller when he got on the park. We sure asked a lot out of our key defenders back then didn't we?

Yep vividly remember Groves being taken on by Fev in a game against Carlton and Fev suddenly realizing he picked on the wrong guy when Groves had him in a solid head lock on the ground in a flash!

When at his best, Conca is quality, could be a good pickup,
He can play down back or midfield, tackles well, good hands, sound mark, does the 1%'s, can kick a goal and has an uncanny ability to wrong foot oppo bursting through traffic.
His only knocks are kicking skills, not prolific enough (he does play defensive mid/back alot though) and injury.

Looking forward to see how he goes, was easily best 22 when near his best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a game where there was classic footage of Grover being caught out by an opposition player leading, swearing at himself and losing his s**t for getting caught out, then the opposition guy drops the mark and grovers expression changed as he ran full tit at the guy. I'll never forget that footage and his expression was gold. Just wish there was a gif of it - i'd use it constantly. One of my favourite ever football moments

I think we took Conca only because Neale is leaving. On that basis he will provide good cover for our loss of Neale. I wish him all the best during his time at Freo.

I think we took Conca only because Neale is leaving. On that basis he will provide good cover for our loss of Neale. I wish him all the best during his time at Freo.
He is a smart player, he just has to stay fit and not get injured and he will be a good addition.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah fair enough, was just trying to think of who he had in mind since it obviously wasn't Haydos. Grover definitely punched above his weight, as did Shane Parker and the Driller when he got on the park. We sure asked a lot out of our key defenders back then didn't we?

Understood, the Hayden comparison was bizarre :shoutyoldman: Loving the Grover love in this thread, and don't get me started on Parker and Hadrill... yes we definitely asked alot of our key defenders indeed, both Parker and Grover were shorter than the key forwards they played against yet they mostly got the job done. Maybe we can play Banfield in a similar role if Hamling or Pearce are injured?

Sorry to go OT - happy with the Conca pickup, will definitely fill an inside mid role if Neale leaves. Question marks over his kicking but the same has been said about Neale over his career?

Last edited:
When at his best, Conca is quality, could be a good pickup,
He can play down back or midfield, tackles well, good hands, sound mark, does the 1%'s, can kick a goal and has an uncanny ability to wrong foot oppo bursting through traffic.
His only knocks are kicking skills, not prolific enough (he does play defensive mid/back alot though) and injury.

Looking forward to see how he goes, was easily best 22 when near his best.

Coming to the wrong club then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back