Toast Reece Conca - Welcome to Freo!

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m going to miss Conca and his cuddles.

You guys have a solid player in him.

He’s no superstar but he works hard and always gives 110% when out on the ground, and isn’t afraid to do the defensive stuff off the ball that goes unheralded.

Hopefully Conca’s soft-tissue injuries are now behind him and he stays on the park for you guys.

Good to hear about Conca's off field value. Wasn't really aware of that. That's great, especially if we lose Neale who himself is a good role model on how to hold yourself as a pro footballer.

Sure hope he really is over his soft tissue issues. Our medical team don't exactly have a good record in that area. That aside, on the cheap as a FA, he's a good pick up.

I hope you don't mind me posting here.

Conca can play a role but has his limitations. I considered him borderline starting 22 in the past 2 seasons. He won't set the world on fire because he doesn't have that killer aspect to his game like speed or silky skills or goal kicking that some players do. Was a bit prone to being a clanger merchant when the pressure ramped up.

Having said that, he's not a squib and might be able to reinvent himself as a tagger or even just be one of those guys who takes the pressure off the young on ballers in your team. Certainly Richmond did well with recycled players like Chaplin back in the day. Did not set the world on fire but filled a role and stopped us from throwing kids to the wolves before they were physically ready.

Good luck to the guy and I hope he does well for you.

Conca can play a role but has his limitations. I considered him borderline starting 22 in the past 2 seasons. He won't set the world on fire because he doesn't have that killer aspect to his game like speed or silky skills or goal kicking that some players do. Was a bit prone to being a clanger merchant when the pressure ramped up.

Having said that, he's not a squib and might be able to reinvent himself as a tagger or even just be one of those guys who takes the pressure off the young on ballers in your team. Certainly Richmond did well with recycled players like Chaplin back in the day. Did not set the world on fire but filled a role and stopped us from throwing kids to the wolves before they were physically ready.

Honest assessment.

A few have come in and stated similar. I think most of us have similar low expectations in terms of pure football ability. I personally don't rate him that highly myself. However, among many needs, our team desperately needs a bit of physical contested grunt, especially around the middle. We need those who can help contain the spread which we are absolutely crap at (it's why when things aren't going well, teams can get big long runs and score heavily thus, when we lose, we lose big) and in that vein, I think he fits a need at low cost.

One the other side, would have to be the unluckiest bloke to play injury wise at Richmond in the last 20 years. Continuity is very important in football, and he has some tricks (his highlights on your website are pretty good), but hasn't been able to sting together games. Reckon coming home with family and friends might be the thing that he needs.

He makes our list better. He's no superstar but if you think he's not better than the bottom 10 on our list you're kidding yourselves. At a very average cost.

Also, what in the * is the talk about Grover being average. He did have a dip in form for a year or two when he lost some of the starch in his collar, but he well and truly got over that.
* me this board is going down the shitter.

Pretty happy about Conca joining us....very astute player and person. Will bring a lot of knowledge, experience and example to the club. Onya Reece.:thumbsu:

Probably be ok as a depth type but I never agree players like him who have reached their ceiling are a good idea for any team contending or not it's a list spot that costs a shot at finding an elite player and that is all you should be doing with non best 22 players , looking for guns and hidden gems and churning the list looking for them

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably be ok as a depth type but I never agree players like him who have reached their ceiling are a good idea for any team contending or not it's a list spot that costs a shot at finding an elite player and that is all you should be doing with non best 22 players , looking for guns and hidden gems and churning the list looking for them

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
You could argue that because of continual injury he has not reached his ceiling. Could be a bust but could be a hit.

You could argue that because of continual injury he has not reached his ceiling. Could be a bust but could be a hit.

Was thinking same. If he can finish his career injury free, he has that pedigree to be a better player here than ever. From all reports he had shown that line of form at Tigers before his recent accident with Buddy.

You posted above regarding being back with family etc. I have a theory it can go either way. Some settle down and it stabilises them and it does them well, others it just gets too comfortable and they become soft. Reece seems to have a pretty professional head on him, so doubt it will be the latter in any case.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I found grover incredibly frustrating to watch. Gave away far too many frees to opposition forwards
129 frees against in 202 games. Never more than 1.05 a game average over a season. In 2003 gave away 4 in 19 games. Playing as an undersized key defender or on dangerous smalls. But facts.... .

No you cant have an unlike button. Lol. To be fair he did play in a backline that was under seige a lot. But those frees usualy cost us a goal. Thats what my shot memory tells me. Now where did i put my glasses.

No you cant have an unlike button. Lol. To be fair he did play in a backline that was under seige a lot. But those frees usualy cost us a goal. Thats what my shot memory tells me. Now where did i put my glasses.
Grover was like the one competent guy we had down there half the time, just a bit undersized

Our club is turning into the joke of the AFL again.

Decent list that can't win a game, sign Harley for no reason whatsoever, draft a stupid amount of rucks, draft KP players then want more this season, Neale wants out, draft small nothing players that aren't going to make it, and now what, pick another injury prone player that can't kick!!

Conca seems like a nice bloke, but if Freo think our midfield needs a player with below average foot skills. I'm done.

Our club is turning into the joke of the AFL again.
blah blah
Conca seems like a nice bloke, but if Freo think our midfield needs a player with below average foot skills. I'm done.
Sorry to hear you are done, because Conca is "in". Hope you enjoy being whatever colour wizard you end up being.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back