theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Imagine losing Neale and not bringing in a strong body. We would be vulnerable. He is the kind of player who steps up in finals. Now with Blakely back we have a bit of beef in the middle.

Plus....he brought the cuddles.

Joao

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'd never paid much attention to him at Richmond. He is a fair bit better than I thought he was. especially at the hard stuff. Makes sense that all the Tigers loved him.

FreoRicci

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
He was great inside. Leave him there, and never as half back, please. Not quite Neale but he sure gives everything. Made Collingwood's 'best midfield in AFL' a run for their money.

wild side

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
He deserves a feather, he's done very well. Plays within his limitations, therefore doesn't hurt the gameplan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
Imagine losing Neale and not bringing in a strong body. We would be vulnerable. He is the kind of player who steps up in finals. Now with Blakely back we have a bit of beef in the middle.

Plus....he brought the cuddles.
Yep. I often look at the tough, contested play in the middle and have to stop and wonder who that player is. Often it’s Conca.

Freo Big Fella

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2003
The great wide north
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
Shades of Solomon or Heath Black (Part Two) in terms of physicality and the leadership he's clearly providing to some of the younger members of the group - very astute pickup.

Ysaye

Premiership Player
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
IMO has been a really useful pickup but arguably has also left Banfield with no role.

heypenny

All Australian
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
There's been feedback around the leadership and comradery Reece's brought to the club which is important. I think his experience will be valuable this year and next for the team while we are rebuilding. However long term think he's easily replaced on the footy field.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
There's been feedback around the leadership and comradery Reece's brought to the club which is important. I think his experience will be valuable this year and next for the team while we are rebuilding. However long term think he's easily replaced on the footy field.
I understand what you are saying, but also think he can be a major contributor in a finals situation.

Freomaniac

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Conca is a bloke we needed to fill Ryan Crowley or Matt Deboers spot when both left: a Tagger to help shut a mid down or a hard nut to protect Fyfe, Brayshaw and cerra. He doesnt have to average 30 disposals a game

Boppo

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sth Freo
He was strong in that third qtr against the Pies..kept the ball headed to our F50 time and again.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
He was strong in that third qtr against the Pies..kept the ball headed to our F50 time and again.
That is a fair comment about the precision of his disposal. You're not going to read about his pinpoint delivery into the forward line on a regular basis.

(Wonder how much skills training they got into him at Richmond?)

PapaJ

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
He's been playing well for weeks, I wasn't really a fan of recruiting him but he's a harder nut than I realised and does a lot of the small things well. Seems a best 22 lock currently.
That pretty much sums up what most Richmond fans thought of him.

Was always regarded higher internally than he was by those watching outside and now he's at Freo, with our attention on him a bit more, us purple fans are seeing the same thing.

He came in to the AFL as a highly regarded player good at everything (inc. good character/leadership qualities) but not stand-out spectacular at anything in particular. Though he has the reputation as a bit of a ball burner, and even as a junior he was never an elite ball user, he was a neat efficient player with ball in hand - I think the pace of AFL found him out a bit and now he mostly plays within his limitations. Hard to compare because I watch him so much more closer at Freo, but I reckon he's having career best year with us now.

Square Peg

Premiership Player
Jul 20, 2014
Fremantle WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
That pretty much sums up what most Richmond fans thought of him.

Was always regarded higher internally than he was by those watching outside and now he's at Freo, with our attention on him a bit more, us purple fans are seeing the same thing.

He came in to the AFL as a highly regarded player good at everything (inc. good character/leadership qualities) but not stand-out spectacular at anything in particular. Though he has the reputation as a bit of a ball burner, and even as a junior he was never an elite ball user, he was a neat efficient player with ball in hand - I think the pace of AFL found him out a bit and now he mostly plays within his limitations. Hard to compare because I watch him so much more closer at Freo, but I reckon he's having career best year with us now.
Yeah he's a Xavier Ellis type pick up although Ellis might have been a better ball user - both rated highly inside both their original and second clubs, whereas outside observers don't seem to get what the fuss is about. Luckily Conca seems to have a more reliable body than Ellis, touch wood.

Top Bottom