Reece Conca

Mr Stokes

Senior List
Aug 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Slow??
He glides along the ground, very low COG, like Cotch.
Just needs to compose himself a little more, which will come with expericence, he's only in his 2nd year don't forget

Yes slow.
Have you ever seen him take the ball under his arm, go fore a run with the opposition in persuit?
I haven't and i don't think he will as he is not that type of player or at least to me seems slow.

richolovesgoal

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Yes slow.
Have you ever seen him take the ball under his arm, go fore a run with the opposition in persuit?
I haven't and i don't think he will as he is not that type of player or at least to me seems slow.

He is not slow

TOOs_Finest

Norm Smith Medallist
Richmond Tigers - 2013 Player Sponsor Minecraft
Mar 2, 2009
East of Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dallas Desire
Yes slow.

Yes, on the weekend in fact. Unfortunately, he missed the goal. But thanks for asking.

Can't remember if he specifically tucked the ball under his arm. Is this a pre-requisite of being "not slow"?

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
Comparing conca to Cotchin or Murphy is ridiculous , the one thing they have both always processed is one touch and a very good awareness through traffic . Unfortunately both of these traits don't come naturally to many players including Reece .
Same say he is great through traffic , I suspect that's due to his side step and I suspect the same people would be fans of Edwards ability in traffic .
Conca was ok against Melbourne and IMO poor on a number of occasions against Geelong and will continue that trend against good sides should he get ahead of himself .
I don't think he is slow but he doesn't have great awareness and needs to concentrate on the basics . Other wise he is going to frustrate the s**t out of people during his career and will often bear the brunt , not to disimilalr to what his fellow rangas are currently recieving .

tiggywigs

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Comparing conca to Cotchin or Murphy is ridiculous , the one thing they have both always processed is one touch and a very good awareness through traffic . Unfortunately both of these traits don't come naturally to many players including Reece .
Same say he is great through traffic , I suspect that's due to his side step and I suspect the same people would be fans of Edwards ability in traffic .
Conca was ok against Melbourne and IMO poor on a number of occasions against Geelong and will continue that trend against good sides should he get ahead of himself .
I don't think he is slow but he doesn't have great awareness and needs to concentrate on the basics . Other wise he is going to frustrate the s**t out of people during his career and will often bear the brunt , not to disimilalr to what his fellow rangas are currently recieving .

Agree that comparisons to the Cotch and Murphy are ill founded. These are players who will be fighting it out for Brownlows for years to come in all likelihood. I doubt that Reece will ever get to that level. But I disagree with the rest of your post.

My impressions of Conca are that he is an elite reader of the play, has very good ball handling skills and moves through traffic well. He's also usually a very good decision maker and disposer.

I'm at a loss to understand why you would think good side-stepping skills are not a positive feature of his game.

Given he is a second year player, you're 'frustrating' call seems more than a tad premature. I get the impression you just don't like his 'quiet achiever' style of game.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond

Made three massive and costly mistakes. The worst by far killed any hope we had with 3 1/2 min to go 9 points down and three players lose forward in space handballs it straight down the throat of a Cat. If it was Jackson, this board would be in quadruple mass hysteria meltdown.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Agree that comparisons to the Cotch and Murphy are ill founded. These are players who will be fighting it out for Brownlows for years to come in all likelihood. I doubt that Reece will ever get to that level. But I disagree with the rest of your post.

My impressions of Conca are that he is an elite reader of the play, has very good ball handling skills and moves through traffic well. He's also usually a very good decision maker and disposer.

I'm at a loss to understand why you would think good side-stepping skills are not a positive feature of his game.

Given he is a second year player, you're 'frustrating' call seems more than a tad premature. I get the impression you just don't like his 'quiet achiever' style of game.

completely agree.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Made three massive and costly mistakes. The worst by far killed any hope we had with 3 1/2 min to go 9 points down and three players lose forward in space handballs it straight down the throat of a Cat. If it was Jackson, this board would be in quadruple mass hysteria meltdown.

yes he made 2 costly errors(i think the other 1 was morris)but he is a second year player. i understand what your saying about jacko but he is a 7/8 year player and still making those mistakes. i think that is the difference.i am not like others that want him delisted just yet as we need depth for the next 1 to 2 years. once we get that period then the likes of jacko will get pushed out.

Tigerbob

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2001
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Storm, Bushies

Horrible post.

MightyTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond

Difference is is that ones a kid learning the ropes the other is 7-8 years into his career and makes those costly mistakes on a weekly basis.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond

I didn't suggest " good side-stepping skills are not a positive feature of his game " , I suggested that his side step ability IMO wrongly makes some people think he is great in traffic.
His lack of awareness through traffic and one touch ability has me a little bemused that he is being compared to Cotchin or Murphy.
These factors also makes me think that if he gets carried away with trying to match what these players can do , then he will end up being a very frustrating footballer.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
Some people need to re-watch the game and see how much GOOD Conca did, rather than focus on a couple of f'ups at the pointy end of proceedings. He played an accomplished midfield role, was hard at it, showed poise well beyond his experience level and displayed continuing signs of an upward trending season.
The blatant free kicks IMO , were as annoying as the turnovers late in the game, he was very ordinary and after having his tyres pumped the week before reality belted him hard.
He has time on his side , but he doesn't need to get ahead of himself thats for sure, with hard work he could get close to as good as Foley and without it he could be less then Bling .;)

Stylo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Those 2 clangers were centimetres away from being perfectly executed. Had they gone his way I don't think anyone would be questioning him.

The blatant free kicks IMO , were as annoying as the turnovers late in the game, he was very ordinary and after having his tyres pumped the week before reality belted him hard.
He has time on his side , but he doesn't need to get ahead of himself thats for sure, with hard work he could get close to as good as Foley and without it he could be less then Bling .;)
He was far from ordinary. His DE was a little down, but it was down across the board for both teams. 21 disposals, 8 contested possies, and 3 clearances. Don't bimone the kid for a wayward hand pass in the last quarter, that was actually as well played by Enright as much as anything.

K - 11
H - 10
M - 5
CP - 8
Cl - 3
DE% - 57%

Tigerbob

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2001
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Storm, Bushies
He was far from ordinary. His DE was a little down, but it was down across the board for both teams. 21 disposals, 8 contested possies, and 3 clearances. Don't bimone the kid for a wayward hand pass in the last quarter, that was actually as well played by Enright as much as anything.

K - 11
H - 10
M - 5
CP - 8
Cl - 3
DE% - 57%

Shhhh!

He compares Conca to Jackson and Tambling. Why bother arguing with someone like that?

MightyTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond

RP what a load of rot, you have bagged this kid ever since he was drafted and have absolutely NFI, big woop the kid made a few mistakes he's 19 FFS, honestly you are worse then santa on this issue and you need to pull your head in, the constant bagging of a 19 year old and comparing him to the absolute dud that is Tambling is just wrong.

FYI no one compared him to Cotchin or Murphy, they said they see similarities in game style, BIG difference.

Gotta love these arm chair experts who sit on there pcs bagging these kids thinking they have 1 iota of a clue.

MightyTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond

K - 11
H - 10
M - 5
CP - 8
Cl - 3
DE% - 57%

Dustin Martin 61% DE
Trent Cotchin 46% DE

Yeah lets bag the 19 year old kid for a couple blues but let others slip right through to the keeper because they are our untouchables.

Vitriol

Team Captain
Mar 25, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
I didn't suggest " good side-stepping skills are not a positive feature of his game " , I suggested that his side step ability IMO wrongly makes some people think he is great in traffic.
His lack of awareness through traffic and one touch ability has me a little bemused that he is being compared to Cotchin or Murphy.
These factors also makes me think that if he gets carried away with trying to match what these players can do , then he will end up being a very frustrating footballer.

What on earth are you talking about? Conca's movement and reading of the play in traffic is out****ingstanding for a second year player. probably one of his best assets.

I personaly don't see the comparison wth Murphy, if I had to compare him with an established AFL player it would be Sam Mitchell which is a massive compliment. Conca will be a star.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
RP what a load of rot, you have bagged this kid ever since he was drafted and have absolutely NFI, big woop the kid made a few mistakes he's 19 FFS, honestly you are worse then santa on this issue and you need to pull your head in, the constant bagging of a 19 year old and comparing him to the absolute dud that is Tambling is just wrong.

FYI no one compared him to Cotchin or Murphy, they said they see similarities in game style, BIG difference.

Gotta love these arm chair experts who sit on there pcs bagging these kids thinking they have 1 iota of a clue.

In case you haven't noticed in almost every post in regards to Conca I have noted the he has time on his side , or words to the effect . I refuse to put him upon a pedestal and have rightfully acknowledged his positives and IMO rightfully acknowledged his deffeciencies . Something you appear unable to do .
He may be a 2nd year player who has flaws in his game , give me a 2nd year player who hasn't .
I personally am very much upon the fence as to whether he will make a great / good or poor player .
You need to take a little reality check and stop being so self opinionated , everyone is entitled to their opinion .
Might also be in your best interest to either do some research before , or simply don't, accuse people of having NFI or of being arm chair experts . ;)

Back