Reece Conca

Remove this Banner Ad

The top 3-4 picks should be A graders 90%. After that is slides down to somewhere about pick 15-20 that you have a good chance of an A grader. I can't remember the stats, but people have done it. By a very good B grader I mean that he is a guy that you rely on to get 20+ possessions per game, a few goals and lots of assists. By A grader I mean dominating games regularly, and being almost impossible to stop. There are very few A graders. If all top 10 picks were A graders there would be a lot more running around than there are. Look at Melbourne's top picks recently, good but not amazing so far. He is very good and I like him a lot, but the bits of magic Lids, Cotch and Dusty turned on from the start he doesn't really do. That is not a knock, those 3 are potential superstars.

However, I reckon Conca has the ability to regularly get the ball a lot and use it very well, as well as being physical and doing the defensive stuff well. That is a great for 2nd season. If he develops well he can be A grade and really make our midfield awesome. What makes me more confident is that his psych testing was great, and he does seem to be a good learner. He is surrounded by good characters and we are developing our players better. Let's hope he gets to the top of his ability, if so we have a real winner.

So I guess we agree or at least sort of agree!:)

What I expect Coca to become !

An inside/outside midfielder that has excellent disposal by foot & hand and is a very good reader of the play/ball.
Mr Reliable is what i expect and for him to be in the 1st 10 players picked every week.

But really wouldnt suprise me to see him become a elite midfielder such as murphy, Must remember that the kid is only in his 2nd year of afl and so far hasnt put a foot wrong and by 2013-2014 will be a very damaging player that other clubs will have trouble matching up after putting so much concentration into Cotchin,Martin,Delidio,Foley.

The Conca's & Ellis's of the richmond football club will be getting away with a lot thanks to the other guns that will be causing headaches.

I didn't want to start a new thread to say this, but it should be noted first-off that while I'm putting this here, this post isn't really about Reece Conca. The kid has gotten better every year he has played, is in our best 22, and should be a solid player for us in the future.

But I still question the thinking of the club before the 2010 draft.

And the reason why, is this.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/video/2014-02-25/ptv-jared-polec-spin-and-supergoal

And this.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/video/2014-03-16/ptv-jared-polec-running-goal

Yes, I know Jared Polec showed nothing for 3 solid years, but that was at the rabble of Brisbane. He has now shown more superstar credentials in 1 game at Port than Reece Conca has shown in his 50-odd.

I remember on the night of the draft, I was excited as hell for the club to finally get its hands on Polec, and when I found they were passing over him and Heppell for an almost unknown kid from WA, I was astounded.

Over the last 3 years, the club's choice has seemed to be vindicated, even if Reece hasn't exactly set the world on fire. It has looked the better choice until the weekend, but across one round of football, my mind is very nearly changed back. We should have taken the kid we fancied originally.

Once again, this is not about Conca. I love the boy. But he just doesn't have the skillset or X-factor of Polec.

EDIT: As someone has rightly pointed out, the order of the draft was 5 - Polec 6 - Conca 7 - Heppell. My point is not blaming anybody, but just wishing we could have snared Polec instead as Conca seems to have the least upside of the 3.

Last edited:
Polec went home from Brisbane. What's to say he wouldn't have done the same to us?

We drafted "meat & potatoes" players for 3 years in Conca, Ellis and Vlastuin. I think it was a good move. This year we have branched out a little more and picked up Lennon who may not play all year.

Not sure I could in all honesty compare Polec & Reece based on one game vs 50 there's something that doesn't sit right about the comparison. Perhaps Conca's first 50 compared with Polec's first 50 would be a better/fairer comparison ??

I didn't want to start a new thread to say this, but it should be noted first-off that while I'm putting this here, this post isn't really about Reece Conca. The kid has gotten better every year he has played, is in our best 22, and should be a solid player for us in the future.

But I still question the thinking of the club before the 2010 draft.

And the reason why, is this.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/video/2014-02-25/ptv-jared-polec-spin-and-supergoal

And this.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/video/2014-03-16/ptv-jared-polec-running-goal

Yes, I know Jared Polec showed nothing for 3 solid years, but that was at the rabble of Brisbane. He has now shown more superstar credentials in 1 game at Port than Reece Conca has shown in his 50-odd.

I remember on the night of the draft, I was excited as hell for the club to finally get its hands on Polec, and when I found they were passing over him and Heppell for an almost unknown kid from WA, I was astounded.

Over the last 3 years, the club's choice has seemed to be vindicated, even if Reece hasn't exactly set the world on fire. It has looked the better choice until the weekend, but across one round of football, my mind is very nearly changed back. We should have taken the kid we fancied originally.

Once again, this is not about Conca. I love the boy. But he just doesn't have the skillset or X-factor of Polec.
I think if my memory is correct, Polec was taken at 5 and Conca at 6 so we never had a chance to get him.
So what are you trying to say?

Good point on the go home factor.

However surely we can assume a little bit that Tigerland would be better placed to keep someone like Polec than Brisbane under Voss. Seems a club everyone wants to be at.

Yes Conca, Ellis and Vlas were all solid picks but I already see the latter two having much more upside than Reece.

And I said it twice, so it'd be nice if people take notice......I'm not having a go at Conca. Whatsoever. I like the kid. Just a bit concerned we missed a beauty.

I think if my memory is correct, Polec was taken at 5 and Conca at 6 so we never had a chance to get him.
So what are you trying to say?

Yeah okay...hmm it seems I'm an idiot to put it on the selectors. I'll cop that.

But the crux of what I'm trying to say is still relevant, I'm disappointed with who we got. We wanted Polec, he got taken, then we passed over Heppell and took Reece. Its hard to see him being the best player of the 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah okay...hmm it seems I'm an idiot to put it on the selectors. I'll cop that.

But the crux of what I'm trying to say is still relevant, I'm disappointed with who we got. We wanted Polec, he got taken, then we passed over Heppell and took Reece. Its hard to see him being the best player of the 3.
Conca is a good player. The mistake we made was taking Batch over Parker. Parker won a B&F as an underager over Scully who was a no.1 draft pick. Parker was always going to be a good player.

I wonder if Dimma was saying in having a dig to Reece that your hammy is fine so extend yourself

Maybe Baz or even opening up the way for him to ask more of more senior players as well given that Reece and Ellis copped it on the chin. So the others should be able to take it on and do something about it....Just thinking out loud...cos from some of the reports they certainly weren't the worst guys out there on the weekend.

whilst i do like conca and think he will become a very good player - Heppell was the player we would of taken if not for conca

The biggest stuff up in recent times is missing Fyfe
Fyfe was an undersized FF. Every other club including Freo overlooked him first. Don;t think even Freo expecting him to beast it like this. Let's just hope Griff can hold down a KPF role and then it won't really matter.

23 possies, 8 clearances, 8 tackles wasnt exactly a poor effort first game back after a hammy

If we didn't butcher the ball going forward we would have won and everybody would have been saying how good it was to have Conca back on the weekend. The final score does crazy things to the mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back