Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

YouTube videos make me want to trade up to get Cox.

His kicking is beautiful, particularly for a kid his height.

He's so skinny he makes Stephenson look like The Mountain, but I'm a sucker for players with elite disposal, especially with both feet.

He's so skinny he makes Stephenson look like The Mountain, but I'm a sucker for players with elite disposal, especially with both feet.
Moved beautifully too. Also hit aerial balls with intent. I liked that video a lot.

Just draft him.

Rantall, Bianco and Ruscoe ??
You really are a glass half full person.
These are not highly rated young players and Kelly hasn't done much yet to be too excited about.

I am hopeful but not confident on any of these guys.
Ahhh, but our club will develop then into highly overrated players.

So was Bontempelli. I don't recall anyone saying Marsh had huge scopes for development because he didn't get a chance to play midfield.

I think you're the 1st person I've ever heard or read label the Bont "fast". Do you know something about his personal life that we don't?

Collingwood’s latest Next Generation Academy star likes to go op shopping.

A Vinnies or Savers in Brunswick might not be where you’d expect to see an 18-year-old from Melbourne’s eastern suburbs who was to captain Scotch College’s football team this year.

But for Reef McInnes, it is a favourite pastime.

“That’s something I’m pretty passionate about,” McInnes said.

“It’s something different but I love getting out of the house and going down to Brunswick or somewhere and looking through a lot of shops and the retro stores and eating different food down there and having a good day out.

“I usually do get some second-hand clothes and CDs, bags, that sort of thing. Stuff that is modern retro style.”

There is nothing retro about McInnes’ style on the football field, which is very much a modern intercepting defender.

An Essendon supporter growing up, the Oakleigh Chargers backman has closely watched the development of Jordan Ridley over the past two years and recently spoke with the Bombers’ 2020 best-and-fairest.

“I love watching him and trying to take some tricks and tips out of his book,” McInnes said.

“I had a chat to him as well over the phone and it was just awesome to be able to talk to him about his footy and his development through Oakleigh and his role as a backman.”

McInnes has spent most his underage football playing down back, but also has another string to his bow with a proven ability to play as a 193cm big-bodied midfielder.

In three games for the Chargers mid-season last year, McInnes averaged 27 disposals, five clearances, seven score involvements, 138 ranking points and kicked two goals in an onball role.

“That really opened my eyes up to playing in a different position,” McInnes said.

“I think the midfield is my most ideal position that I’d like to be in. It’s just so much fun and there’s a lot of freedom to it.”

McInnes always competed in athletics at school, but even he was surprised to record the fasted 20m sprint time of any Victorian at the draft combine, with a time of 2.779 seconds.

Given that pace and versatility — as well as clean hands and strong marking ability — opposition recruiters have little doubt the Magpies will snap up their Academy star in December’s national draft.

McInnes has been part of the Collingwood program since under-15s, qualifying for the NGA given his mother Melody was born in the Philippines.

There have been no commitments made by the Magpies just yet as far as the draft is concerned, but McInnes has a slight concern about convincing his father Adam to change teams to an arch rival should he end up at Olympic Park.

“It might take some convincing for dad because he’s a very passionate Essendon supporter,” McInnes said.

“My grandpa (Noel) even used to be a player sponsor for Bomber Thompson.”

He’s gained somewhere in the realms of 5-8kg since those highlights were filmed.

Ah okay, even though there are phantom drafts that have him going in the early teens, and Fox Footy rank him at 16, he's clearly no chance at all to be bid on at pick 13. Genius.
Who gives a s**t about phantom drafts done by BF posters basing their picks on highlight videos?
All the phantoms done by people who have actual industry contacts have him going at 20+. They wouldn’t be putting him there if they had an inkling that a club was looking to bid. As for Matt Balmers (Bishop’s) power rankings, it’s his personal power ranking. Like eDPS (AFL draft central) who has Reef at 10 in his rankings, but going at 20 in his phantom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bontempelli also had shown significant development in his draft year as a midfielder though, which McInnes hasn’t had.

Reef never had the Chance to Play Midfield in his Draft Year because of Covid

Who gives a sh*t about phantom drafts done by BF posters basing their picks on highlight videos?
All the phantoms done by people who have actual industry contacts have him going at 20+. They wouldn’t be putting him there if they had an inkling that a club was looking to bid. As for Matt Balmers (Bishop’s) power rankings, it’s his personal power ranking. Like eDPS (AFL draft central) who has Reef at 10 in his rankings, but going at 20 in his phantom.

All Phantom Drafts are Pretty Useless even on the Day of the Draft they might get Top 5-10 close to Right and then after then it's anyone's Guess

All Phantom Drafts are Pretty Useless even on the Day of the Draft they might get Top 5-10 close to Right and then after then it's anyone's Guess
They’re usually pretty accurate with Academy bid ranges. It wouldn’t be that hard to get clubs to spill the beans on whether they’re keen on an academy player.

They’re usually pretty accurate with Academy bid ranges. It wouldn’t be that hard to get clubs to spill the beans on whether they’re keen on an academy player.

But would they hear where they.

They been Keen BUT How Keen?

Who gives a sh*t about phantom drafts done by BF posters basing their picks on highlight videos?

Cal Twomey has good info and is usually based on info he gets from clubs as well as player managers
in his latest rankings he has Reef as #19 with 5 academy kids prior to him so making reef his 14th placed player

GWS , Crows , Bombers and North with their 2nd pick are all threats and for crows and GWS there is added benefit that if Pies match then it takes away 1 pick prior to their other multiple picks. But DoDo wouldnt surprise me if he placed a bit on Reef

Do all that then crows take him at 1. If he’s that determined to get to us, get in his ear now and bring him over in 2 years by trade. Just give Ned the day off that day.
Word i heard was he want's Collingwood, if we don't get him this time round best case scenario is Adelaide take him, that will increase our chances of nabbing him in 2 years, if he goes to a Melbourne club it's over, and s**t who knows, he could be a dud, if i had a dollar for every 'special' key forward in the draft who turned out to be nothing i''d have over $100.

Lip thought we were talking about McDonald :(

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back