Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Where did you hear that Sydney is super keen on Phillips?

Even then, apart from Hawks, isn't GC trying to trade up to grab a top end KPD which they clearly lack?

It just seems highly unlikely that DGB would be the one that slides. Apart from the 3 KPFs, I'd say most clubs have DGB as 4th.

Listening to Kinnear Beatson on the Road to the draft podcast yesterday was interesting. He didn’t give a whole lot away but said they are pretty sure they have decided on who they want at 3. They were just waiting on some final medical reports reports. Was quite emphatic that they would not trade the pick; unless it was a deal to good to pass up.

I recall him mentioning Tanner Bruhn’s name as someone they would consider and I felt like they are pretty keen on Thilthorpe if he gets to them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Where did you hear that Sydney is super keen on Phillips?

Even then, apart from Hawks, isn't GC trying to trade up to grab a top end KPD which they clearly lack?

It just seems highly unlikely that DGB would be the one that slides. Apart from the 3 KPFs, I'd say most clubs have DGB as 4th.
Listening to Kinnear Beatson on the Road to the draft podcast yesterday was interesting. He didn’t give a whole lot away but said they are pretty sure they have decided on who they want at 3. They were just waiting on some final medical reports reports. Was quite emphatic that they would not trade the pick; unless it was a deal to good to pass up.

I recall him mentioning Tanner Bruhn’s name as someone they would consider and I felt like they are pretty keen on Thilthorpe if he gets to them.

Yeah Kinnear is good at throwing up possible names and then picking someone outside those names. Last year did the same thing - then picked Stephens. The person who predicted Stephens to go to the Swans last year (when everyone was saying Flanders including Cal) is of the opinion it will be Phillips (unless Hollands slips through which is possible if the Crows go for Thilthorpe and the Roos get McDonald.

Yeah Kinnear is good at throwing up possible names and then picking someone outside those names. Last year did the same thing - then picked Stephens. The person who predicted Stephens to go to the Swans last year (when everyone was saying Flanders including Cal) is of the opinion it will be Phillips (unless Hollands slips through which is possible if the Crows go for Thilthorpe and the Roos get McDonald.

Right. I gathered he was referencing Thilthorpe (groin) and Hollands (knee) when he was talking about doing last minute diligence on some medical reports before deciding.

Right. I gathered he was referencing Thilthorpe (groin) and Hollands (knee) when he was talking about doing last minute diligence on some medical reports before deciding.

Recruiters will never come out and say we will take X, more generalised comments.

If Hollands was there I’d expect they will pounce very quick. But I’m more surprised not grabbing DGB, with Hawks realistically the only chance. Who knows we might sell the farm for a top 5 pick and it’s not a problem 😬

Sydney obviously have Blakey but could do with a KPF for when Reid and Franklin are gone. McCartin could be stuck down back.

They are also in desperate need of a Kennedy replacement and eventual successor for Parker. I think Hollands makes the most sense for them, and the medical report thing makes sense.

Reef: Via @DraftCentral.

POSITION:
Inside Midfielder

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “McInnes is a strong inside midfielder with great athletic capabilities and tied to Collingwood through the Next-Generation Academy.” – Peter Williams

Reef McInnes is a big-bodied inside midfielder who is tied to Collingwood through the Next Generation Academy and one that Pies fans have been talking about for 12 months. Whilst he will naturally progress through to become that inside midfielder – he has all the traits to do so – McInnes spent the majority of his bottom-age year as either a marking forward or rebounding defender, showing off his versatility. It is no surprise he could slot into just about any role and is one that is tipped to cost the Pies a top 30 pick.

STRENGTHS:

• Contested work
  • Clean hands
  • Strength
  • Marking
  • Versatility
  • Acceleration
IMPROVEMENTS:

• Consistency
  • Kicking
McInnes has quite a number of impressive traits that standout when on the field. For starters, his strength and power on the inside is a big plus for his role in the future, particularly when he already has the size at 192cm and 84kg in the preseason. Many might cite his 36.2 per cent contested ball-winning rate as not reflective of an inside midfielder and they would be right. McInnes predominantly played outside, usually forward or even in defence for the finals series last year, as the likes of Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson and Will Phillips took the prime inside roles at Oakleigh Chargers. Make no mistake, McInnes would have teamed up with Phillips on-ball this season and made a pretty damaging duo – when they did not have school football commitments – and by not playing in 2020 the Pies might be able to get him for value.

His hands on the inside are as clean as they come, averaging 89.5 per cent efficiency and often he is quick-thinking with his ability to win the ball in close and pick the right exit with a teammate running on the outside. He has a long handball projection which can be placed just perfectly for teammates to run onto, preferring to keep his teammates on the move rather than handballing to stationary targets. When it comes to his kicking, it could improve. He is not a ball butcher as such, but it is inconsistent in the sense that he has the penetration by foot, but sometimes the execution can be off. It is an area that is not too great of a concern for the future, but it will be something the Magpies look at building – along with his consistency – if and when he lands there.

Aside from the on-field strengths, McInnes also has some great athletic prowess for a bigger bodied player. His agility and speed in particular is very impressive, and whilst he did not test in the 2020 preseason due to injury, he clocked a mid-boggling 2.78-second 20m sprint at the AFL Draft Combine. Whilst his agility test was not great at 8.68 seconds, it was not indicative of what he can do on the field, with his evasion and power able to work his way through congestion. Overall, he has that nice blend of athleticism and strength that make him tough to contain on the inside, and then add his versatility to be thrown just about anywhere on the ground and he has a lot going for him.

DRAFT PROJECTION: 15-30

McInnes’ range has been a real talking point, and at the time of publishing, the Magpies held picks 14 and 16. It is anticipated he will slide past both, though Collingwood is expected to complete some more deals to move up the order, and potentially grab another pick later in the top 30 to be able to match the inside midfielder. It might be little solace to Magpies fans after a disappointing trade period, but it is worth noting McInnes shares similar traits to Adam Treloar, though is bigger and stronger, just without the runs on the board. If he can be given a chance as a forward and then develop into a midfielder, McInnes could develop into a top talent given his size and upside.

HIGHLIGHTED TESTING RESULTS:

Victorian Draft Combine:

20m sprint:
2.78 seconds
Running vertical leap (R/L): 80/78cm
2km time trial: 7:10 minutes

Surely Essendon don’t let him get past 6...

There's no chance of him getting past pick 6/7 if he is still there, assuming that Essendon don't split their three picks and instead only trade pick 8.

I don't Lukosius makes it look like they clearly lack a young top end KPD.

Ballard and Collins would also like to say hi. Caleb Graham also looked like he could be handy eve with his more limited exposure.

The Suns aren't in bad shape at all for KPD types especially considering how young Ballard, Graham, and Lukosius are (and Collins in only 26 so he is in his prime)

Ballard and Collins would also like to say hi. Caleb Graham also looked like he could be handy eve with his more limited exposure.

The Suns aren't in bad shape at all for KPD types especially considering how young Ballard, Graham, and Lukosius are (and Collins in only 26 so he is in his prime)
They're one of those teams that I don't watch often enough to have much of a handle on anyone outside of the high profile kids. But it really doesn't sound like kpds are in need. In terms of exciting kids, they've pretty much got them in all major roles and should just go best available with any early picks.

Keeping threads on topic is the only thing that separates us from animals Jmac.
I shouldn't have laughed as much as i did at this post but here we are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard a rumour McDonald wants to be a Magpie and we'll move heaven and earth to get our grubby little mitts on Norths pick 2, seems like a longshot but i could see the reasoning behind North giving up pick 2 for 2 current firsts and a future first given they have lots of holes to fill.

Heard a rumour McDonald wants to be a Magpie and we'll move heaven and earth to get our grubby little mitts on Norths pick 2, seems like a longshot but i could see the reasoning behind North giving up pick 2 for 2 current firsts and a future first given they have lots of holes to fill.
Do all that then crows take him at 1. If he’s that determined to get to us, get in his ear now and bring him over in 2 years by trade. Just give Ned the day off that day.

Do all that then crows take him at 1. If he’s that determined to get to us, get in his ear now and bring him over in 2 years by trade. Just give Ned the day off that day.
Obviously if that was the play, you’d strike an agreement with North pre-draft and execute it live in-draft. We say to North “if our guy is there at your pick, would you agree to trade out of it for x?”

I still don’t believe we’re any chance though.

Obviously if that was the play, you’d strike an agreement with North pre-draft and execute it live in-draft. We say to North “if our guy is there at your pick, would you agree to trade out of it for x?”

Not this year but maybe the following 🤫

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe the Stepho trade for peanuts was part of the deal. Too much to hope for though.

We can barely go inside 50 and our kick is atrocious. He will be wasted.
We actually go inside 50 a lot. It’s our delivery that’s the problem. But the other part of the problem is the forward line itself. It’s tough to give good service inside 50 when the forwards don’t work together to create space for each other.

We actually go inside 50 a lot. It’s our delivery that’s the problem. But the other part of the problem is the forward line itself. It’s tough to give good service inside 50 when the forwards don’t work together to create space for each other.
It’s where a good forwards coach would help. Oh wait, we’ll just hang onto an ex defender that’s useless

I view it differently. To me, we are too obsessed with seperation and creating space. When we bring it in slowly (most of the time), our seperated forwards result in us not getting numbers to the contest at ground level.

Still got Hombsch on their list as well don’t they.

Would love for him to slip through but there is no chance Essendon don't bid on him with either 6,7 or 8!
Surely if they do that and they don’t rate him at that pick they are taking a risk, and also you build a reputation as more of a campaigner and clubs like the dogs will hold you to account in trade periods in future years.

Here’s to hoping we can trade into the top 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back