Player Watch Reef McInnes

It came to me because I was re-watching this, and then I remember Reef saying that after a couple picks, he was sent a message from Hine. Then I remember Hine on his phone at this point, and thought, this must have been the point in time.

Glad we got him, If bombers or Crows had bid I doubt we would have matched

That did sound Possible how Hine said they where Scared for a Early Bid from Bombers or Crows

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?
Great to finally have Reef on the list after we have been talking about him on here for a few years.

Really worked out well that we were able to get him for a matched bid at 23. Which effectively only cost us two picks in the 40s.

Has a lot of tools to be a very exciting player for us. As he is still on 17 (or 18 very soon) there's a chance he might even grow a bit more too.

I think we should temper our expectations with him a little bit though. Yes he showed a lot of pace in his 20 metre sprint but the 2km time trial result as well as no footy in Vic this year (along with his previous back issues) has me feeling that he will need to put in some really hard yards before he's ready to make an impact. I think he even acknowledged this is the press conference today.

He is still only very young so I think we should look to get him a solid year in the VFL and roll him out cherry ripe for 2021 after two pre seasons.

Go well Reef and welcome to Collingwood.

Seemed our draft strategy was based around Reef.

Hine mentioned that the draft strategy was highly focused around securing the club’s Next Generation Academy prospect, Reef McInnes who was selected with pick 23.

“We had two plans pre-Reef and post-Reef,” Hine said.

“We tried to look at clusters within the group as this draft was like no other.”

“We were really concerned a bid might come initially with Essendon and then Adelaide had indicated they had a strong interest as well. Once Adelaide didn’t bid on Reef, the draft really did open up for us then.”

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
This kid could be our best draft pick for a long time.

Upside is unbelievable, and he seems to love the club

The pies jersey on for his interview straight after he was drafted was absolute gold.

I am sure somebody can post a video of it. Technology not my strong suit.

Reef will be good but I think Finlay Macrae could be special.

I wonder what made crows back out. Reef said they came to his house and talked it up like they were gonna take him.

Did they chicken out? Was it just a ploy? Or did they just genuine decide they wanted Pedlar more?

First there was lot of noise around Essendon, then Crows. Even Hine was quite concerned.

Or did Hine talking him down prior to the draft work? I know there was a report that Reef told Crows and Essendon he only wanted to go to the pies.

Last edited:
Glad we got him, If bombers or Crows had bid I doubt we would have matched
I’m not so sure about that. I’m almost certain that the pick swap with the Hawks was a contingency for an early bid. I reckon they would have tried to trade out 14 and 16, match the bid, and then trade back in to the draft. I can’t think of any other reason why we would have done that deal with the Hawks otherwise.

I think they both could be. He has limited exposure in the guts, but by all accounts was absolutely dominant in the 3 games they had him in there while Rowell, Anderson and Phillips were out. I’m really excited about both of them. Those two and Nick Daicos will be our core on-ballers for the next decade imo.

I wonder what made crows back out. Reef said they came to his house and talked it up like they were gonna take him.

Did they chicken out? Was it just a ploy? Or did they just genuine decide thye wanted Pedlar more?

First there was lot of noise around Essendon, then Crows. Even Hine was quite concerned.

Or did Hine talking him down prior to the draft work? I know there was a report that Reef told Crows and Essendon he only wanted to go to the pies.
I reckon it was mind games. Much like Essendon I reckon they were trying to psyche us in to an unfair pick swap. Glad we held our ground now.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m not so sure about that. I’m almost certain that the pick swap with the Hawks was a contingency for an early bid. I reckon they would have tried to trade out 14 and 16, match the bid, and then trade back in to the draft. I can’t think of any other reason why we would have done that deal with the Hawks otherwise.
huh? we did that trade to cover a later Reef bid which eventuated, so imo we got word of it early that no bid was coming. Those picks wouldn't have been enough for a bid around the bombers/crows selections

huh? we did that trade to cover a later Reef bid which eventuated, so imo we got word of it early that no bid was coming. Those picks wouldn't have been enough for a bid around the bombers/crows selections

Pie 4 Life think Tweeted that when the Trade Happened saying that meant there was NO early Reef Bid

We already had enough points to cover a pick from about 21 onwards. And Hine specifically said after the draft that they had seperate contingency plans in place for Reef, as they didn’t know whether Essendon or Adelaide would bid on him. Only once he got past them they were confident that he’d last past our first picks.

Pie 4 Life think Tweeted that when the Trade Happened saying that meant there was NO early Reef Bid
Yep basically what it meant was, once that trade came in the Pies were confident they weren't getting a bid before their second pick, so therefore they knew they had to trade up to match to avoid going into deficit.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers

I think the best bit is we're already arguing over whether Henry, Macrae, Reef or Poulter will be the best out of our 2020 draft crop.

Exciting times at our club coming out of a national draft for the first time I can remember in a long time.

I think the best bit is we're already arguing over whether Henry, Macrae, Reef or Poulter will be the best out of our 2020 draft crop.

Exciting times at our club coming out of a national draft for the first time I can remember in a long time.
Our best crop since? 2014?

Agree. We must rate him very highly.

I'm even a bit excited about McCreedy (not so excited that I know how to spell his name) and the rookies we got today.

That won’t be a tough ask. Sheer weight of numbers means that we should get at least 2-3 genuine guns from this draft (hopefully). Even 2 from 6 means that we’ve had the best year since 2014. I have a feeling in my loins though, that we’ve killed it this year.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers

Definitely. I was bullish on DeGoey and there was the obvious happiness at getting Darcy in.

Maynard was a bit more of an unknown but I remember walking away a bit disappointed that we'd just missed out on McGovern and Daniel in the third round and thinking we should have drafted Tom's younger brother.

Our rookie draft was more of a side show but I was totally on the The Big Show's bandwagon.

In this year's draft I genuinely feel that all six of our ND picks (and maybe even Ginnivan) could work out to be 80-100+ game players for us (ie. none of them wash out without making some sort of impact for us at AFL level), with the potential for each of our first four picks to perhaps end up being quality 150-200+ game players.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
lachie Jones any good, PA will match.
Was highly rated. Seemed like he was good at eating pies based upon the footage I saw.
Reminded me of Will Gould, the SA kid that the Swans picked last year who was a 'big bodied' backman who was 'ready to go'

“We had a few quiet ones,” Jones said.

“It was a long night, it would be rude not to and after the draft was done we definitely had a few more beers and dad and I were able to share one which was very special.”

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
We already had enough points to cover a pick from about 21 onwards. And Hine specifically said after the draft that they had seperate contingency plans in place for Reef, as they didn’t know whether Essendon or Adelaide would bid on him. Only once he got past them they were confident that he’d last past our first picks.
it makes no sense to do a trade before a bid actually comes in that scenario

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood

Did they chicken out? Was it just a ploy? Or did they just genuine decide they wanted Pedlar more?

Good on him only wanting to come to the Pies

Back