Player Watch Reef McInnes

There were a lot of rumoured "bolters" leading into the draft, which suggests no one really knew. The lack of exposed form probably plays a part and NM taking Phillips threw a most of the safer early predictions out.
Yeah that was the first shock of the night, all the talk was that north liked Holands, domt think anyone picked up on Phillips to North.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Let me see...

Not too much lol In the top 10, those first two, plus Reid to essendon. 3/10 lol He had essendon bidding on Campbell, but Hawks did it. he had Henry going to essendon at pick 10.

It was not a good draft for Cal.

He's probably been shutout by the clubs after leaking their info and now has to guess everything like a regular mug.

He's probably been shutout by the clubs after leaking their info and now has to guess everything like a regular mug.
Live trading has significantly increased the likelihood of clubs keeping their cards close to their chest.

As imbecilic as Dekka and his team who admitted they would match the bid at Essendons picks snd Crows in the trade room to Jake Nisll before the selection.
Damn imbeciles.
He said it while Adelaide were making their selection, to a reporter who is a Collingwood supporter and thus had no reason to leak that info until after the fact.
Probably making more of it than it’s worth tbh.

Lip Gallagher

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lol yeah endurance wouldnt be effected by not being able to run as much would it?

A couple 20m sprints however probably improve if hes pumping more iron and adding explosive power.
Again, he came last, body must have been feeling good to run the sprint time, anyway agree to disagree, IMO he is a mile off.

Again, he came last, body must have been feeling good to run the sprint time, anyway agree to disagree, IMO he is a mile off.

He's in good company. Patty Cripps came last in the time trial in his draft year.

upnsmoke

Club Legend
Sep 2, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
I wonder what made crows back out. Reef said they came to his house and talked it up like they were gonna take him.

Did they chicken out? Was it just a ploy? Or did they just genuine decide they wanted Pedlar more?

First there was lot of noise around Essendon, then Crows. Even Hine was quite concerned.

Or did Hine talking him down prior to the draft work? I know there was a report that Reef told Crows and Essendon he only wanted to go to the pies.

Its normal for a team to visit 3 to 5 candidates. It's just part of the job of the recruiters to short list and then do due diligence to the short listed players because that is crop you will pick from.

ExcitementMachine

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
He said it while Adelaide were making their selection, to a reporter who is a Collingwood supporter and thus had no reason to leak that info until after the fact.
Probably making more of it than it’s worth tbh.

Really so pies qould have matched at one of essendons picks at 7, 8 or 9 according to dekka?

Thats quite heartening to know and makes even more optimistic about the 2021 draft.

Really so pies qould have matched at one of essendons picks at 7, 8 or 9 according to dekka?

Thats quite heartening to know and makes even more optimistic about the 2021 draft.
I believe it was said when Adelaide were taking their pick (10). But if they were willing to match that then I don’t see why they wouldn’t have matched any of the 3 previous picks either.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Same. I knew I was right about this kid. Club obviously views him highly, given it seems we planned on matching even at a high pick. Media said we would pass. But boy, the club wanted him that badly.
I knew we wouldn't let him go.
All it means is that we rated him in the top 17...if he was bid on at pick 5 you match the bid.

I believe it was said when Adelaide were taking their pick (10). But if they were willing to match that then I don’t see why they wouldn’t have matched any of the 3 previous picks either.
it did seem going in, more concern was over Adelaide. Essendon's interest seemed to have died out by then. Which I feel wasn't big interest, prob just a ploy by dodoro.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
it did seem going in, more concern was over Adelaide. Essendon's interest seemed to have died out by then. Which I feel wasn't big interest, prob just a ploy by dodoro.

It seems Essendon's plan was always to take two KPP to build their future list around, plus the best available midfielder. Don't think Reef fit for them.

It seems Essendon's plan was always to take two KPP to build their future list around, plus the best available midfielder. Don't think Reef fit for them.
Agreed. The threat of a bid seemed to be a scare tatic, dodoro playing games. Or the media just making it out that they could bid, because because of their 3 picks. Not sure if there was really any substancial noise around them actually making a real bid. Apart from them meeting with reef the weekend prior to the draft, but I imagine clubs would he doing that with most kids.

Feb 27, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
He's in good company. Patty Cripps came last in the time trial in his draft year.
there's a couple of ways to look at it, isnt there.

Either you concede that he's never going to have Sidey / pendles type endurance, so isnt going to be spending 100% of his time in midfield.

Or...

Similar to Cripps, you assess the upside as big, since he was still able to pick up 31 touches in the midfield playing for Oakleigh... despite having a dodgey tank at the time.

Just needs Cripps' attitude to become obsessive about improving that side of his game

Agreed. The threat of a bid seemed to be a scare tatic, dodoro playing games. Or the media just making it out that they could bid, because because of their 3 picks. Not sure if there was really any substancial noise around them actually making a real bid. Apart from them meeting with reef the weekend prior to the draft, but I imagine clubs would he doing that with most kids.
Pretty sure it was Dodo trying to use Reef as leverage to get us to panic and do that horrible deal of 14 and our future first for pick 8.

Either you concede that he's never going to have Sidey / pendles type endurance, so isnt going to be spending 100% of his time in midfield.

Or...

Similar to Cripps, you assess the upside as big, since he was still able to pick up 31 touches in the midfield playing for Oakleigh... despite having a dodgey tank at the time.

Just needs Cripps' attitude to become obsessive about improving that side of his game
Judging from what I’ve seen of the kid, I have little doubt he’s going to everything he can to get the best out of himself.

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

Or...

He hasn't even realised how good he is going to be yet, Reef is going to be a star, he has everything you need to succeed, I wouldn't worry about his tank because he will be just as good up forward and he will build his tank up

ToonAussie

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
mount eliza
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NUFC: f'stonblues: DukeMBB:Warriors
Ripped the flexor tendon off the bone unfortunately

Yep.
That's what we've been thinking so no change but thanks for the confirmation.

Although it's usually an avulsion fracture - a little fragment of bone is ripped off by / with the tendon.
And this is what is "ripped off the bone".

Yep.
That's what we've been thinking so no change but thanks for the confirmation.

Although it's usually an avulsion fracture - a little fragment of bone is ripped off by / with the tendon.
And this is what is "ripped off the bone".
So same as JDG last year?

Back