Ref Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

In the VAR era Rangers are up to over 70 matches without conceding a penalty in the league....

They do get some quite favourable decisions. The cup semi against Celtic a couple of seasons back was extraordinary.

Taylor dropped to the Championship.

Another poor game by Anthony Taylor with Liverpool v Newcastle. He's a very experienced ref and we shouldn't expect perfection but I don't think his decision making is top quality.

Joelinton should have got a yellow card for a professional foul even though advantage was played.
The Miley yellow card was very harsh. He got the ball but couldn't stop his momentum on a greasy surface.
Diaz was clearly fouled but Taylor didn't give it, then booked him after he expressed his frustration.
Jota took a step after slight contact by Dubravka then threw himself to the ground for a penalty.

Ignore the Hull specific stuff, but they interviewed Keith Hackett for the pod this week and some pretty good general points from him about the issues with the refereeing body currently:

Dean has signed autographs, but reckons because he didn't start signing until he'd reffed 300 games it's all OK.
He's a knob.

Seems like his biggest problem with it was because it was at HT. Who gives a s**t. I'm honestly shocked anyone wants a ref's signature but it's not like doing that will impact his second half performance.

Seems like his biggest problem with it was because it was at HT. Who gives a s**t. I'm honestly shocked anyone wants a ref's signature but it's not like doing that will impact his second half performance.

Technically the ref is still in control of the game during the half time interval. For example, he can give a red card or abandon the match. It's not a big deal if he signs an autograph while 'on duty' but maybe it's best kept to before or after the game.

Personally I wouldn't want a ref's autograph but there are people who aspire to be refs and he might represent a role model for them, especially as he's the first ref of Indian ancestry in the PL.

He's a knob.

It’s pathetic from Dean. Says he shouldn’t have done it because it’ll draw attention and then throws him under the bus anyway by saying it’s out of order.

It’s such a non story which would have mostly stayed that way if not for Dean the hypocrite, who himself was the biggest attention seeking ref there’s ever been.

It’s pathetic from Dean. Says he shouldn’t have done it because it’ll draw attention and then throws him under the bus anyway by saying it’s out of order.

It’s such a non story which would have mostly stayed that way if not for Dean the hypocrite, who himself was the biggest attention seeking ref there’s ever been.
The only reason it drew any attention was because of Dean.

Just astounding that guy has a platform. Most supporters see him for what he is.

Former referees are having a greater influence on the game.

PGMOL is headed up by Chief Refereeing Officer, Howard Webb. His interpretations set the standard for Premier League refereeing.

Dermot Gallagher and Mike Dean are media pundits.

Mark Clattenburg is now employed by Nott'm Forest as a refereeing media consultant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back